Classic Boss Goro Returns for Mortal Kombat Reboot

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Classic Boss Goro Returns for Mortal Kombat Reboot

NetherRealm Studios is revitalizing the Mortal Kombat [http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E1JS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294659333&sr=8-1] series' original monstrous monarch for a whole new audience.

The Mortal Kombat games have always been stuffed to the gills with demons, ghosts and monsters, but few were as distinctive as Goro, the four-armed prince of the Shokan. Goro has made sporadic appearances in the MK games, but according to the latest issue of Game Infomer [http://www.gameinformer.com/], the four-fisted monstrosity is a lock for the reboot.

Goro made his debut in the very first Mortal Kombat game as the henchmen of the shape-shifting wizard Shang Tsung. Series co-creator Ed Boon said that Goro will be a boss character, and with Shao Kahn - who was Shang Tsung's boss, at least on paper - also confirmed for the game, it's likely that Goro will assume his usual role of sub-boss, with Kahn serving as the big bad. Both Goro and his underground lair/dungeon stage will return for the reboot, and both will be tweaked for a modern audience. Goro's stage is said to be dark and somewhat macabre, with bodies hanging from the ceiling. Goro himself seems largely unchanged, although it's unlikely that he will be a stop-motion [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92561-Meet-The-Real-Goro] puppet this time round.

Also confirmed was the female warrior Jade, who first appeared as a hidden opponent in MK2. Like Goro, she's made a number of appearances in the Mortal Kombat games, starting out as just a palette swap of another character, but becoming a fully fledged character for MK3. For the reboot, NetherRealm has fused her costumes from Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and Mortal Kombat: Deception, giving her a new, but still familiar, look.

Mortal Kombat comes out for Xbox 360 and PS3 in April.

Source: via Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/jade-and-goro-confirmed-for-mortal-kombat-9-191232.phtml]

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
I havent played a Mortal Kombat since MK:Trilogy on the PS1. Was a great game that my and my cousins enjoyed for hours on weekends. You could play as Goro in that, along with alot of the bosses, but none of them were fantastic.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Goro was like the Bald Bull of the early days. Easy to get to but a pain in the ass when fighting..once you got past him you felt like you accomplished something huge. Or that could just be me.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
Goro was like the Bald Bull of the early days. Easy to get to but a pain in the ass when fighting..once you got past him you felt like you accomplished something huge. Or that could just be me.
I felt the same way. Beating Goro felt like a huge accomplishment but then the final-final boss would come and womp your ass. I'm hoping the difficulty is toned down but I'm probably the only one who found those games too hard.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Cool. Would have preferred Sheeva but then again I'm twisted like that. Hope the new MK is worthy of him.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
GORO! =D, I really missed him on the last gen Mortal Kombats (Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon), he only appeared as a cameo character on those and not as a serious boss.

I can't say anything about MKvDCU, I only played it for half an ahour with a friend of mine.

I'm glad he's reclaiming his sub-boss status... also, why has nobody said anything about Shao Kahn?, he's meaner, badder, harder... way harder... oh, nevermind I mentioned him.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Massive thumbs up for this decision. Great boss. I think enough time has passed since the terrible 'honey monster' outing of the movie.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Isn't Kratos going to be in the PS3 version? Does that mean we'll see a xbox exclusive character in the 360 version?

I personally liked how DOA4 put a Spartan from the Halo series as a fighter in the game. It was very cool.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
VanityGirl said:
Isn't Kratos going to be in the PS3 version? Does that mean we'll see a xbox exclusive character in the 360 version?

I personally liked how DOA4 put a Spartan from the Halo series as a fighter in the game. It was very cool.
There's been rumors of a 360 exclusive, but nothing set in stone. I'd say the most likely candidate for the 360 version would be Marcus Fenix.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Sean Strife said:
VanityGirl said:

There's been rumors of a 360 exclusive, but nothing set in stone. I'd say the most likely candidate for the 360 version would be Marcus Fenix.
I'd literally poop my pants if that happened. I'd like to see Marcus judo kick someone in the face. The comedy factor would be through the roof.