PSPhone Runs PS1 Emulator, Nobody Surprised

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
PSPhone Runs PS1 Emulator, Nobody Surprised

Yet another "leaked" video shows the PlayStation Phone is capable of running PlayStation 1 Emulators.

In case you haven't yet heard, there's a PlayStation Phone that Sony stubbornly refuses to announce, despite months of a steady stream of information [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105855-PlayStation-Phone-Video-Emerges-on-YouTube].

The latest and greatest of these leaks is a video featuring the gameplay we can expect on the device, stirring up our collective nerd-loins. The video shows that the device is quite capable of running original PlayStation games, Resident Evil 2 and Rage Racer in particular, rather nicely.

While this is certainly a step in the right direction, it's not exactly impressive. iPhones and Androids have been able to emulate the PlayStation for quite a while now, even if they don't do so perfectly. The games we see running on the device in the video are actually not even official Sony-made emulations, rather, they are run on an unofficial App made for use on Androids.

But with the specs we've seen [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106764-Chinese-Blog-Leaks-Video-of-PlayStation-Phone-in-Action] on the PlayStation Phone, I think we can expect that emulating PS1 games is far from reaching the device's potential.

I can't help but wonder, are these "leaks" really leaks? Or are they Sony's clever way of hyping the phone to the public? The regular manner with which information is leaked, along with Sony's steadfast refusal to acknowledge them, speaks to me of a pre-planned attempt to stir up interest and chatter about the new phone. Whether or not this is all some sort of marketing ploy, I am convinced of one very important fact; I really want that phone.

Source: 1UP [http://www.1up.com/news/video-playstation-phone-ps1-emulator]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Yes. Sony is totally hyping piracy of their old PS1 games.

That is totally the plan.

Sony, the uber-anti-piracy company, is leaking shit about emulators.

/sarcasm

Sony still has money to make from PS1 games, thanks to their PS1 Classics section of the store.

Spoon E11

Oct 27, 2010
Sony are making these leaks far too obvious. They need to sit back a little more. The imagination always tends to be optimistic about stuff like this.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
So... Sony is ripping off someone elses software that pirated their games to show off their new handheld?

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Roboto said:
So are they powered by Tegra 2? If not, next!
No dual core tegra so imo Its already a bit underpowered, I think just a 1ghz processor. Heck even the nexus S can be overclocked safely to 1.4 ghz. I think its too big for a phone not a big enough battery for gaming (same size as evo) and thats no battery champion. Only going for it would be decent controls.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Scott Bullock said:
I can't help but wonder, are these "leaks" really leaks? Or are they Sony's clever way of hyping the phone to the public? The regular manner with which information is leaked, along with Sony's steadfast refusal to acknowledge them, speaks to me of a pre-planned attempt to stir up interest and chatter about the new phone. Whether or not this is all some sort of marketing ploy, I am convinced of one very important fact; I really want that phone.
I mean the PSP Go was leakier than cardboard Colander filled with hedgehogs, but this is just too much not to have Sony's hand in it.

I would actually love it if the Playstation Phone WAS a fake, and this has all been an elaborate rouse.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Daemascus said:
So... Sony is ripping off someone elses software that pirated their games to show off their new handheld?
No, there's an XMB in the phone like the PSP, which can run PSP games bought from the PSStore

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
sneakypenguin said:
Roboto said:
No dual core tegra so imo Its already a bit underpowered, I think just a 1ghz processor. Heck even the nexus S can be overclocked safely to 1.4 ghz. I think its too big for a phone not a big enough battery for gaming (same size as evo) and thats no battery champion. Only going for it would be decent controls.
If you think that GHz is the only thing that matters in performance of processor, go buy yourself a 4Ghz Pentium 4.

Also, iPhone is the only brand of phone i will buy. Appstore or gtfo.
Oh, look, your 4Ghz is slower than my 2.8Ghz!

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Megacherv said:
Daemascus said:
No, there's an XMB in the phone like the PSP, which can run PSP games bought from the PSStore
The article says its an unoffical app from android, not a sony product.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Daemascus said:
Megacherv said:
Daemascus said:
Okay, you have me there, I done goofed...

But still, I don't think Sony would be leaking this, someone who works there who took one from the production line (like the 3DS) probably used that. The PSP part of the phone will probably use the XMB for it.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
theriddlen said:
sneakypenguin said:
Roboto said:
If you think that GHz is the only thing that matters in performance of processor, go buy yourself a 4Ghz Pentium 4.

Also, iPhone is the only brand of phone i will buy. Appstore or gtfo.
Oh, look, your 4Ghz is slower than my 2.8Ghz!
Yes but it plays a role, and I doubt its snapdragon is even as good as a 1gz hummingbird much less an overclocked 1.4 gz, and definitely not as fast as a dual core tegra.It also only has 512 ram which isn't bad but Q1 phones are already running 1g ram and even a higher screen rez. Does have a decent gpu but I couldn't justify buying one when you have the atrix and some other tegra 4G phones coming out right around the corner.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
So the playstation phone...
Why are these videos making me care less about having a gaming phone?

tris4992

Jul 12, 2010
... I'd better be able to run ps2/psp quality games by the time its out. I'm gonna be really angry at sony if they got me all hyped up for a mini ps1 that makes phonecalls.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Daemascus said:
Megacherv said:
Daemascus said:
No, the article says that unofficial apps have been doing this for a while. I'm pretty sure apps also don't constitute turning the phone sideways and popping out PSP style face buttons either...

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I already have a Sony Xperia phone. If this thing comes out before my phone contract is up, I'll switch phones. Why not? I'm down for some phone/gaming action. it already looks better than the N-Gage and it doesn't use the "taco" format.