288: Crafting Oblivion

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Crafting Oblivion

When it's done, the recreation of Oblivion's Imperial City in Minecraft will consume more than a million blocks and countless hours of construction - and be a temptation that griefers will find nearly impossible to resist.

Read Full Article

Blackadder51

Escapecraft Operator
Jun 25, 2009
Hello all, this is the same Blackadder51 from the article. We are currently doing this on the Escapecraft Minecraft server.

Forums are here.

http://www.escapecraft.net/phpBB3/index.php

And the IP is.

Escapecraft.com

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
There will be no griefers...There will be Deadra. And when they come,Emperor Patrick Stewart will cry out "Close shut the jaws of Oblivion!"

And it will be AWESOME. Too bad I won't see it first hand.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
I fired up Minecraft the other day, and sat there mining for maybe three or four hours.

Now, this may not seem as such a magnificent thing, but it is. I didn't do anything else. I mined. Found a cave, lit it up, buildt a shelter from it, and then proceeded to dig, deeper and deeper. A game that can keep me entertained while farming in such a manner is truly a great piece of design. I was happy when I was just carving out cobblestone. Imagine how I felt when I found gold, iron or diamonds?

I am, however, not one of those creatively gifted players who build immense replicas of grandeur, but I am thoroughly impressed with what the game allows one to do. The only limit with the game seems to be one's imagination, and that is something no other game I know of is capable of.

Minecraft is marvellous, and Notch deserve every little ounce of credit for his game.

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
Sneaky-Pie said:
An article? About our server?

What an honor.

Indeed,this is a really amazing surprise.

Good luck to Black, Lathania and Lionheart. Once my exams are over tomorrow I'll join you and lend a hand like I promised a while back.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Could you offer
Blackadder51 said:
Hello all, this is the same Blackadder51 from the article. We are currently doing this on the Escapecraft Minecraft server.

Forums are here.

And the IP is.

Escapecraft.com
I've just logged in, but I am a bit lost. Could you offer some basic directions/orders for volunteers like myself who are new to the map?

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
I for one sincerely appreciate the idea of making the city in a normal PvE server as opposed to a sterile build only type. The reason is that outside the city, it will be the world as it is. It turns the city into more than just a gargantuan show-piece that people will just traipse around and leave. No this will be a part of it's own little world, where outside the walls will lurk those dastardly skeletons and creepers. It will feel complete. In summary:

[stands up and salutes the creators]

Blackadder51

Escapecraft Operator
Jun 25, 2009
maninahat said:
Could you offer
Blackadder51 said:

Forums are here.

And the IP is.

Escapecraft.com
I've just logged in, but I am a bit lost. Could you offer some basic directions/orders for volunteers like myself who are new to the map?
Gday!

Whats your user name and ill help :)

EDIT: Also if possible can move this discussion to the thread linked in the article, i would hate to fill this thread with off topic information.

DPunch4

May 6, 2009
Yeah this project was lots of fun to work on, I've been making intricate mob grinders to make TNT with. Blowing up the earth with 8+ stacks of legit TNT is very gratifying! :D.

Hopefully I'll be able to help in the future :)

-Herp

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Eeh, we do similar projects on the official Escapist MC server too...

... though we certainly don't mine the materials. Geez, guys.

Nov 5, 2007
Can't wait to travel halfway across Escapia from my settlement to see the big city once it's done.
Good luck guys and don't let Black handle fire -.-

DPunch4

May 6, 2009
insanelich said:
Eeh, we do similar projects on the official Escapist MC server too...

... though we certainly don't mine the materials. Geez, guys.
I hadn't realized Escapia wasn't the official server. Does that mean your server was started by a staff member?

Also, why play survival without the survival? I HATE servers where the Ops give out crap to people, It's incredibly fun to go out in to the wilderness with friends and create a settlement and build up from nothing. It's an experience like no other!

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
yeah, that's awesome, but seriously... a large mob trap can run up to around 400thousand blocks to mine so yeah... A ton of effort for a thing that might just damn disappear tomorrow.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I really do wanna give minecraft a go, and now that I have my own laptop I probably will. And the phrase "digital Lego" has made me sure I'm going to try it very soon.

Also, to John Funk (who probably won't read this but what the hey), outside my university library, there is a memorial thingy, loads of large upstanding slabs of stone,
I never read the words on them before but today as I was passing by I noticed the name John Funk on one of them, so I stopped and read it, I don't remember the exact works but it said something like John Funk from long Island commemorates his Irish ancestor George Funk or something, I dunno if its just a coincidence or maybe its the same John Funk.