No One Wants to Air The Kennedys

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
No One Wants to Air The Kennedys

Under rumored political pressure, the miniseries was booted from its intended network, and hasn't found a home.

The History Channel recently canceled a planned US broadcast of The Kennedys, an eight-part miniseries about the American political family. The Kennedys stars Greg Kinnear, Katie Holmes, and Tom Wilkinson, but audiences in the United States are unlikely to see it, since History passed and no one else will pick it up. Since the series was produced for the History Channel, the network has exclusivity rights, and had to approve of the buyer. Showtime was approved, but even the network behind Dexter and Secret Diary of A Call Girl wouldn't touch The Kennedys.

Deadline quoted History's official statement on the cancellation, which said, "We recognize historical fiction is an important medium for storytelling and commend all the hard work and passion that has gone into the making of the series, but ultimately deem this as the right programming decision for our network."

What History did not say is that the cancellation was politically motivated. The long version of the story rests on the fact that History is owned by A&E Networks, which itself is partially owned by the Walt Disney Corporation. A&E Board Member and Disney-ABC Television Group President Anne Sweeney is on the Board of Directors for the Special Olympics, founded by Eunice Kennedy Shriver (JFK's little sister) and currently chaired by her son, Tim Shriver. Those relationships alone may have made airing the historical miniseries awkward, but a more direct story alleges that Caroline Kennedy personally approached Sweeney to request the miniseries' cancellation. This isn't the only rumor of a Kennedy relation requesting the miniseries not be aired, but it is the most succinct.

Muse Entertainment and Asylum Entertainment, the co-producers of The Kennedys, issued a statement after the History Channel bailed. Deadline quotes that statement as saying, "Although we regret this does not fit into the History Channel's plans, we are confident that television viewers in the United States will join viewers from around the world in having an opportunity to watch this series in the near future." No word yet on what they've said in response to Showtime taking a pass, too.

The Kennedys will still air in Canada and abroad, though, so let us know how it is.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/showtime-passes-on-the-kennedys/]

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I can't blame them. President Kennedy's non public life was a complete embarrassment, the amount of sexual debauchery and other crap that went on with him in office was astounding. If the public knew, they would have been ashamed.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i dont get the "Showtime was approved, but even the network behind Dexter and Secret Diary of A Call Girl wouldn't touch The Kennedys." line, does it mean that they will air all sorts of trash, i have never seen diary of a callgirl and only the first 2 seasons of dexter but those where great, so maybe it means that the show is great and that since they also air those great shows its strange they wouldn't air this one, but judging from the trailer it doesn't great, or even good, at best just an average mini drama with some b list actors.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
Well if it's even partially based on the REAL truth of the Kennedy clan, then it's absolutely a politically based decision... anyway there's no way the American's would accept the truth about their beloved Kennedys... JF was martyrised after his death and none of the real shit the family was responsible for was ever spoken about again in circles that could even remotely be called a public forum.

Take a close look at Joe and Ted.. you might then get an actual inkling (albeit, prohivitively restrictive) of the dealing that the Kennnedys have had throughout their history.

Does anyone here actually remember Chappaquidick?

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
TRR said:
http://stopkennedysmears.com/
Here's why
Lol.. and up pops one of the blinkered uninformed I spoke of in my previous post.

TRR... the only suggestion I can make to you is go do your own research into the matter.

I love the quotes on that page you linked to... as for using the word 'Historian's' as 'proof' of their legitamacy... that's suspect in and of itself.

TRR

Jul 21, 2008
Fumbleumble said:
TRR said:
Here's why
Lol.. and up pops one of the blinkered uninformed I spoke of in my previous post.

TRR... the only suggestion I can make to you is go do your own research into the matter.

I love the quotes on that page you linked to... as for using the word 'Historian's' as 'proof' of their legitamacy... that's suspect in and of itself.
Well conidering Brave New Films does a lot more research than I ever could I'm going to go with them. And it's not like they are nobodies. They have, at the very very very least, pissed off Glenn Beck.

Also, you didn't watch the video (the long one) did you? Or even read the quotes for that matter. You really should, especially the one by Theodore Sorensen.

And I'm not saying the Kennedy's are/were saints or anything, but I'm pretty sure they weren't responsible for the Berlin Wall, as apparently implied but the script of the series.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
So the Kennedys is where the Nazi Channel finally draws the line. I have to admit I'm rather shocked...

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Fumbleumble said:
Do I win a prize if I say yes first?

Honestly, though, the whole Kennedy thing has been so severely messed with, considering John, he was a good man, even if I didn't agree with his politics 100%. RFK was alright until Sirhan Sirhan caught up to him, and every other Kennedy has been worthless for America.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
TRR said:
Fumbleumble said:
TRR said:
Here's why

Well conidering Brave New Films does a lot more research than I ever could I'm going to go with them. And it's not like they are nobodies. They have, at the very very very least, pissed off Glenn Beck.

Also, you didn't watch the video (the long one) did you? Or even read the quotes for that matter. You really should, especially the one by Theodore Sorensen.

And I'm not saying the Kennedy's are/were saints or anything, but I'm pretty sure they weren't responsible for the Berlin Wall, as apparently implied but the script of the series.
Excerpt from wiki.

Theodore Chaikin "Ted" Sorensen (May 8, 1928 ? October 31, 2010) was an American presidential advisor, lawyer and writer, best known as President John F. Kennedy?s special counsel, adviser and legendary speechwriter. President Kennedy once called him his ?intellectual blood bank.
THAT Thoeodore Sorensen?

In what way would you describe him as objective?...

Anyway.. enough of this, all I'm saying is that you should be doing your own research in to their history, it's untimately more satisfactory to hold your own opinion rather than someone elses.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Well lets see the kenndies made most of their money bootlegging and dealing with the mob.

Rumors abounded that jfk used mob connections to rig votes in chicago and maybe a handful of other states.

chapa the drunk kenedy wrecked his car left a woman he was with die in the car and never even reported the accident until after 24 hours later.

and the real shocker is that jfk was more a liberterian then a demorcrate in today sense of the word, being he reduced taxes, he was for smaller government, and yea modern day liberalism has heald him up as some sort of ideal to strive toward all the while doing most everything the exact opposite that they would do.

not all americans believe the bullshit and rewriting of history that goes on after these guys die, thank you very much. jfk was not even a popular president until after he died, his approval rating were in the toilet before he died mostly due to foreign policy blunders and cuban missile crisis etc.

I dare say many americans do not belive in camelot or the idealized version of the kennedy saga, only a small handful of airhead do, and most american have a rather great distaste for royalty, which is what the media and the left have tried to dieatize the kennedies for decades.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
Johnnyallstar said:
Fumbleumble said:
Do I win a prize if I say yes first?

Honestly, though, the whole Kennedy thing has been so severely messed with, considering John, he was a good man, even if I didn't agree with his politics 100%. RFK was alright until Sirhan Sirhan caught up to him, and every other Kennedy has been worthless for America.
And I'll agree enough to say that some of his politics were very progressive.

However there was ultimately too much shit going on in the background to be worth what little stride he could have made.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Dude, this looks amazing. LOVED Barry Pepper in 61* and it's nice to see him in some good roles. I can't believe nobody would air this. This is pretty much a guaranteed Emmy.

TRR

Jul 21, 2008
Fumbleumble said:
Excerpt from wiki.

Theodore Chaikin "Ted" Sorensen (May 8, 1928 ? October 31, 2010) was an American presidential advisor, lawyer and writer, best known as President John F. Kennedy?s special counsel, adviser and legendary speechwriter. President Kennedy once called him his ?intellectual blood bank.
THAT Thoeodore Sorensen?

Anyway.. enough of this, all I'm saying is that you should be doing your own research in to their history, it's untimately more satisfactory to hold your own opinion rather than someone elses.
And you should actually consider the points of another individual instead of barely glancing over, see one thing in particular, USE WIKIPEDIA (lol), and quote something that ultimately strengthens the statements of the other person.

Besides, my original post wasn't an opinion. I simply pointed out the work the Brave New Films has done on this subject.

And quite frankly, I'm Canadian and do not care too much about what's on American television. Unless it's Fox News being hilarious.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Greg Kinnear? Kettle Fear? Medal Bear? METAL GEAR.

[sub][small](Ha, sorry I will never be able to take Greg Kinnear seriously after the MGS collab)[/small][/sub]

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
You know, I've been well aware of the kind of machinations that the Kennedy patriarch put his children through, and the "debauchery" that JFK got up to is pretty well known, to be honest. Not to mention that, from the looks of the trailer, it doesn't even focus on John, but rather the family as a whole. Joseph Kennedy was, honestly, a mastermind. I'd love to have seen this miniseries, and I really hope that it comes out on another network. I can understand that it may not be strict factual truth, but it certainly looks interesting.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
TRR said:
Fumbleumble said:
Excerpt from wiki.

THAT Thoeodore Sorensen?

And you should actually consider the points of another individual instead of barely glancing over, see one thing in particular, USE WIKIPEDIA (lol), and quote something that ultimately strengthens the statements of the other person.

Besides, my original post wasn't an opinion. I simply pointed out the work the Brave New Films has done on this subject.

And quite frankly, I'm Canadian and do not care too much about what's on American television. Unless it's Fox News being hilarious.
USING OTHER PEOPLES OPINIONS.. LOL.

The investgation of the Kennedys has been going on since his death in every country that ISN'T America.. New World Cinema's is only 'new' in that it contradicts research that is, in some cases, 40 years old, and done by people with a vested interest in the very regime that's trying to rewrite history, which gets done disturbingly fequently in the Good Ol' US..

Show me research that corroborates the 'new' facts by NWC, done by objective researchers and I might conceed to some relevency.. other than that it's hardly trustworthy.

..but as I've said.. go read something objective on the subject. If you form the same opinion, then great.. at least it'll be you saying it.