Lich King Was Too Easy, Cataclysm Just Right, Says Blizzard

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Lich King Was Too Easy, Cataclysm Just Right, Says Blizzard

Lead systems designer Greg Street admitted it was a mistake for the dungeons of Wrath of the Lich King to be be so easy and that he is happy with the difficulty in Cataclysm.

World of Warcraft has always been an MMO that balanced providing solo content while encouraging players to join groups for the dungeons and raids. Dungeons in vanilla WoW and Burning Crusade were challenging affairs in which strategy and communication between groups was necessary if you didn't want to spend most of the session running back to your corpse after a total party kill. In Wrath, the difficulty slider felt like it was turned way down and dungeons (and even early raids like Naxxramas) were ridiculously easy even on so-called heroic dungeons. In Wow, there are two flavors of dungeons: normal dungeons that are intended as an introduction to the content with easier enemies and heroic dungeons that offer much more of a challenge and better loot as a reward. Coupled with the ease of finding pickup groups through a Dungeon Finder that actually worked, and most players were able to get through a dungeon with no drama in less than twenty minutes.

That's certainly not the case in the Cataclysm expansion that came out a month ago, and lead systems designer Greg Street wrote a lengthy post on the perceived difficulty this week. He said it was a mistake to tune the dungeons so low in Wrath and offered some points on how to do better in Cata dungeons while sticking a few jabs at the notorious complainers on the WoW forums.

"The Lich King Heroic dungeons (and Naxxramas) were too easy to zerg, setting up an expansion-long expectation that [the best] gear would come easy and often," he wrote. "In retrospect, that was a mistake. We don't at all view the Cataclysm dungeon and raid balance as a mistake."

Street described what his philosophy was in setting the heroic dungeon difficulty where he did. "The bottom line is that we want Heroics and raids to be challenging, and that is particularly true now while the content is new and characters are still collecting gear. They're only going to get easier from here on out. We want players to approach an encounter, especially a Heroic encounter, as a puzzle to be solved. We want groups to communicate and strategize. And by extension, we want you to celebrate when you win instead of it being a foregone conclusion."

He then cautioned the players assuming a tank role in dungeons, that is, the player who's job it is to grab the attention of monsters and absorb damage. "Where I have personally seen [tanks] get into trouble is when they slip into overconfident 'I got this' mode and try to tank too many things at once," Street said. DPS players, or those characters who excel at putting out the most damage-per-second, shouldn't blunder blindly through a dungeon. "It should be your business to understand the mechanics of the fights. You're a member of a team, not a follower who can always rely on someone else to tell them what to do."

It also appears the healers, those who keep the party alive as they take damage, are the group of players that have been hit the hardest by this change in difficulty, and many of them have said that they were quitting the game because of it. Street says the rumors of the dearth of healers is greatly exaggerated. "We do understand that some healers are frustrated and giving up. That is sad and unfortunate. But the degree to which it's happening, at least at this point in time, is vastly overstated on the forums," he wrote. "Both sides need to spend a little less effort trying to drown out the other side claiming that everyone they know - and by extension, 'the majority of players' - agree with their point. You shouldn't need to invoke a silent majority if you can make an articulate and salient point."

Zang a doo!

I personally haven't been able to get my main character up to 85 in order to test out the heroic dungeons myself, but I do know that [user]John Funk[/user] has walked into the office more than once and said, "Man, heroics are hard." But his stories about what happened in his group the night before are usually told with a smile on his face, so perhaps making dungeons challenging again has increased his enjoyment of the game.

Source: Battle.net [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2053469]

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
This is certanly true, i just wish we DPS didnt have to wait 40 minutes to get to a heroic dungeon and then have a tank that doesnt know what the hell they are doing, wipe, and then have to wait 40 minute, AGAIN!!!

[sub]Ok, I feel better now.[/sub]

yundex

Nov 19, 2009
Only thing stopping me from resubbing is what yahtzee has said. I'm too concerned with having bigger numbers and will just end up spending most of my free time doing the same raids over and over. But I also love socializing in the game, fuck I don't know what to do >.>

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Now if only the whiners would accept this and either quit or actually learn to play...

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
The Lost Big Boss said:
Just right eh? Thats why they just nerfed the hell out of heroics?
They're doing that because the 'Wrath babies' were making way too much of a fuss over how hard it is for them to get the gear they need to raid, and it's less difficult for them to complain than it is to unlearn the bad habits they picked up in the last expansion.

It is a sad, sad state of affairs.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
Wrath was definately too easy. I resubbed to play Wrath and within a few weeks of hitting 80 had already completed all the content (excluding some Heroic raids etc). I remember TBC was a lot more difficult.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
really? now that Lich King is old news, they can finally admit that they dumbed that game down too much? bold move, Blizzard, bold move! "now that we've fixed it made it irrelevant, we can actually admit that we f***ed up!"

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
The Lost Big Boss said:
Just right eh? Thats why they just nerfed the hell out of heroics?
They're doing that because the 'Wrath babies' were making way too much of a fuss over how hard it is for them to get the gear they need to raid, and it's less difficult for them to complain than it is to unlearn the bad habits they picked up in the last expansion.

It is a sad, sad state of affairs.
I know, I'm just pissed that they even listened to them in the first place. They aren't hard, they just require four things.

1. Capable Tank
2. General Knowledge of Bosses
3. FUCKING Crowd Control
4. FIRE IS BAD, GTFO of the fire!

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
yundex said:
Only thing stopping me from resubbing is what yahtzee has said. I'm too concerned with having bigger numbers and will just end up spending most of my free time doing the same raids over and over. But I also love socializing in the game, fuck I don't know what to do >.>
Develop a bad case of altitis? =D

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
I personally greatly enjoy the difficulty as it is now, especially as a healer. Sure, there are DPS who're still standing in the fire, but if they move it's not your fault, it's their. Since the launch people are getting better geared and even with one DPS dying by now, a boss is still doable in most cases.

As Greg Street rightly states, heroics will only be easier from here on out as people get better gear and hopefully also learn more about the mechanics of the game. As long as people know their role and the fight every dungeon is very doabl.e

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
The Lost Big Boss said:
1. Capable Tank
2. General Knowledge of Bosses
3. FUCKING Crowd Control
5. Capable heals
6. at least 1 capable dps. seriously, some of the morons i ran into pugging... *shudder*

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
I reckon a lot of people who complained were player's who joined shortly before Wrath came out and were too used to having the game hold their hand for 10 levels, while by contrast Cata doesn't fuck around! It cranks the heroic meter to Balls To The Wall! Yeah!

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
The Lost Big Boss said:
A smart person one said "Alliance Rogues are so bad they don't even know to stand behind the boss...unless there's a fire there for them to die in." Substitute "Alliance Rogues" with "most DPS" and you have the story of WoW's life.

OmniDesol

The Ultimate Omnimancer
Dec 28, 2009
Which is why I no longer random. Just get a decent guild; guild runs are better for getting guild rewards, and guild achievements can even occur, and tend to be, in my case, patient enough to explain the fight, so we can learn it. Every time I've random'd a heroic, it's been pretty fail.

Nikki_Viper

Nov 30, 2010
Daemascus said:
This is certanly true, i just wish we DPS didnt have to wait 40 minutes to get to a heroic dungeon and then have a tank that doesnt know what the hell they are doing, wipe, and then have to wait 40 minute, AGAIN!!!

[sub]Ok, I feel better now.[/sub]
Yeah, I haven't hit heroic yet, I'm only level 70, but there have been times when I'm sitting there going "Um... wtf?" After the tank pulls BIG and then quite the dungeons. Tanks have the ability to be huge assholes. Hence me loving Blood mode on the death knight.

*Click* blood mode - Insta-regenerating tank!

Biodisaster

Scourgeling
Jul 1, 2010
Feels good, man. As much as I loved revisiting the Lich King storyline in Wrath, I much prefer Cataclysm's game design.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I am not sure if the future nerfing of the Heroics is a bad thing. Blizzard realized with WotLK that not everyone is a Hardcore player, but that shouldn't mean they don't get to see the endgame content.

So you start out with a high level of difficulty for your hardcore folk who want a challenge, then after a bit you bring it down a bit to make that content more accessable to other players.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
Monshroud said:
I am not sure if the future nerfing of the Heroics is a bad thing. Blizzard realized with WotLK that not everyone is a Hardcore player, but that shouldn't mean they don't get to see the endgame content.

So you start out with a high level of difficulty for your hardcore folk who want a challenge, then after a bit you bring it down a bit to make that content more accessable to other players.
While I see your point, they should then wait for these nerfs for when 4.1 rolls around, and the content is by and large irrelevant.

I'm a little disappointed with the amount of nerfs, but at the same time, reading the patch notes it looks like a few encounters are getting buffed.

I think what they're trying to do is make the whole dungeon fairly level in difficulty instead of having 1 super easy boss, 1 super hard boss, and a couple in between.

Overall, I'm very happy with the expansion. DPS queues suck right now, but the problem will fix itself, more or less, and there really isn't anything Blizzard can do about it.