Cloud's On The Horizon

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Cloud's On The Horizon

An ESRB rating has confirmed Squaresoft's Final Fantasy VII is to be released on the PS3 and PSP via PSN.

No that's not a mistake, that apostrophe is supposed to be there. It's a contraction of 'Cloud is', as in 'Cloud Strife' of Final Fantasy VII fame. An ESRB rating has confirmed that the seminal JRPG classic is to be released on the PlayStation 3 and PSP in the USA.

The game was released a month ago in Japan, and there were fears that this was going to be one of those games that wasn't going to make it across to the west. Clearly that isn't the case, and while no release date has been announced yet, the release of Advent Children Complete and the Sony E3 press conference on Tuesday makes next week seem like a pretty good safe bet.

There are a couple of problems though. The first, and from my point of view the biggest, is that it doesn't seem to be crossing the Atlantic. There is no rating for the game on the PEGI, BBFC or OFLC websites, suggesting that it's not going to see a European or Australian release, unless the original 1997 rating still applies. The second problem is that the release of the original means that the HD remake that so many fans were hoping for seems much less likely.

Still, any FFVII is better than no FFVII, right?

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5273403/esrb-confirms-final-fantasy-vii-for-ps3-psp]

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Hooray? Most people have this game already and the PS3 can play PS1 games. No point in buying it if you don't have it. Plus people have modded PSP's with the PS1 emulator. So (though why am I saying this since I never have nor will play FF7) it better be a HD remake to justify the price.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
harhol said:
There are a couple of problems though. The first, and from my point of view the biggest, is that it doesn't seem to be crossing the Atlantic.
Europe gets screwed again. Surprise surprise. This would be a bigger deal if I hadn't already completed the game over nine thousand times, but it's still annoying. Although not quite as annoying as people who think "Aerith" is the correct spelling...

*hides*
Exactly. It's Aeris, not Aerith, no matter what Kingdom Hearts says.

I was kind of hoping they could release versions on the Xbox as well, to be honest, through XBL, but obviously that'll never be the case. Which is a shame since as an Xbox 360 and PS2 owner, I have to spend a very long time hunting down the now rare copies of FF VII, and indeed anything before FFX, that are for sale. And I don't have the time or energy to do so. Plus, Nintendo have more remakes and ports of the older games than any Sony consoles do, and it's unfair that us Xbox owners have to miss out because of the overwhelming lure of the colour green...

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
harhol said:
Although not quite as annoying as people who think "Aerith" is the correct spelling...

*hides*
Lol, even thought Aerith IS the true spelling I don't see why people get bitchy about a translation error. Hell FF7 had a few amusing translation differences/errors.

Anywho, I hope this only paves the way for crap tons of better PS1 games to come. Legend of the Dragoon please?

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
I'd still rather have a remake made. Stop pulling our legs Square Enix and make it happen!

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Trivun said:
Can someone please explain to the Kingdom Hearts player that never got a shot at Final Fantasy 7 what the hell you're all talking about?

To be on-topic: my friend can sell me a copy, so I'm cool regardless of remakes/repackaging.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
nilcypher said:
There is no rating for the game on the PEGI, BBFC or OFLC websites, suggesting that it's not going to see a European or Australian release, unless the original 1997 rating still applies.
It would as long as the content hasn't been changed. So it's not ruled out of European release yet...

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Hah... I came here, about to say 'use the search bar' for the first time ever, because I just commented on a thread about this earlier... And it's an official news post. Whoops. ^^;

But yeah, this is kinda lame. I mean, talk about beating a dead horse. They should try and make a new Final Fantasy as good as or better than VII rather than releasing mediocre spin-offs and ports...

Although now that I'm reminded, I might go replay 7 for PSone...

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
I will find this extremely funny if FF7 does come to north america on the PSN because then all the coppies of FF7 that people charge an arm and a leg for should drastically decrease in price.

kaziard

Oct 28, 2008
scotth266 said:
Trivun said:
Can someone please explain to the Kingdom Hearts player that never got a shot at Final Fantasy 7 what the hell you're all talking about?

To be on-topic: my friend can sell me a copy, so I'm cool regardless of remakes/repackaging.
the character aerith from kh is originally from FFVII and called Aeris a small difference but still annoying.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I'd still rather play the PC version, especially nowadays since there's mods to make it work properly on XP and later.

As for the Aeris/Aerith debate, I prefer the sound of Aeris, but I generally refer to her as Aerith because that's what all official FF7 stuff refers to her as now, including KH, Advent Children, etc refer to her as. If, in the original, she'd been Aerith, but Aeris ever since, I'd treat Aeris as correct, simply by merit of it being the officially used name now.

P.S. Thanks

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
I wish this was coming to the 360, too. :(

Ah well, I've had my grievances with FFVII's battle structure anyway, so it doesn't matter that much to me. I just don't know how they're going to work it so the game'll be just as good on the PSP as it is on the PS3.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Good concept, but the fact that Europe will be let out isn't awesome.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
So? It's easy to make an American account and then you can download what you like. Should work even for PS1 games hopefully.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Okay, someone more "knowledgeable" on the subject than me may have to correct me on this one. When Square remade Final Fantasy whatever the hell the number was (III?) for the DS a few years back I think they made completely new cinematic cutscenes. Granted, I honestly don't know if they just ported the NES version or if they remastered everything, so this may not exactly be a good frame of reference. Still, even knowing that will be a port of the original Playstation game, what would the chances of there being recreated cutscenes in the game?