Charlie's Angels To Continue Television's Return to the 1970s

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Charlie's Angels To Continue Television's Return to the 1970s

ABC is rebooting Charlie's Angels, but don't hold your breath for Farrah hair.

Broadcast network CBS is seeing success with a rebooted version of the classic television program Hawaii Five-0, and now it looks like ABC wants in on the remake action. The network has greenlit the pilot for a new Charlie's Angels series, which will be updated and set in Miami. Writer-producers Miles Millar and Al Gough chose Florida because they wanted to lay off Los Angeles (the location of both the original series and the recent feature films), but keep the sun-and-surf angle of the original. Also sticking around from the original series: Charlie's voice on speaker phone. The project is a modern take, but as Gough promises EW, there will be no "skyping or teleconferencing."

In discussing how he and Millar would approach the show, Gough told EW, "It won't be campy or retro. The characters are real and emotionally grounded, but they still like to have fun, wear great clothes, solve crime and kick some serious ass." The titular angels have yet to be cast, but Gough reports that the audition process is underway.

The project has a former Angel behind the scenes, as Drew Barrymore (Charlie's Angels, Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle) is one of three executive producers. The team of Millar and Gough aren't unfamiliar with handling existing properties, as the pair were responsible for writing and producing Smallville. Rounding out the potential creative team, Entertainment Weekly reports "there's an offer out to Mark Piznarski (Gossip Girl) to direct."

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/13/charlies-angels-pilot-abc/]

Feb 13, 2008
It's gonna be Charmed with guns, isn't it?

The reboot of Nikita showed how it should be done. I've got a feeling this is going to be more like D.E.B.S. or the atrocious She Spies

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
manythings said:
I'm betting it lasts less than a season.
Likewise, this thing is going to tank so fast it's going to be funny as hell. :D

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
Won't last longer then its sequel season at most, only thing keep it going that far is kick-butt scantly clad women :gag:

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
It's gonna be Charmed with guns, isn't it?

The reboot of Nikita showed how it should be done. I've got a feeling this is going to be more like D.E.B.S. or the atrocious She Spies
There is no way in hell that was professionally made. It just cant be.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
It's not Charlie's Angel's without Farrah :(

Totally off topic, but everytime I get my Angel deck out to play Magic: The Gathering, I always say "These are my Angels. My name is Charlie."

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Maybe it will be so bad that it is good like this

What I liked the show

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
008Zulu said:
dalek sec said:
manythings said:
Likewise, this thing is going to tank so fast it's going to be funny as hell. :D
But it will do really well on DVD release.
That only worked Cause it was Firefly... not this dreck. :D

I'm still standing by my guess that it'll tank real fast.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
dalek sec said:
008Zulu said:
dalek sec said:
manythings said:
But it will do really well on DVD release.
That only worked Cause it was Firefly... not this dreck. :D

I'm still standing by my guess that it'll tank real fast.
Unless the show's girls appear in less and less clothing per episode.

Fanta Grape

Aug 17, 2010
I think the biggest problem here is that it's a show made in, and FOR, the seventies.

Anything modern would be just hyper sexualised women. But they have to "kick ass" and be mildly sassy, as to not get attacked by any feminist groups.