Atlus's Cursed Crusade Aims a Crossbow at Demon's Souls

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Atlus's Cursed Crusade Aims a Crossbow at Demon's Souls

Atlus might not have control of a Demon's Souls sequel, but hopefully Cursed Crusade can imitate its success.

A second and proper trailer for Atlus's Demon's Souls [http://www.amazon.com/Cursed-Crusade-Playstation-3/dp/B004A87506/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1295034345&sr=8-1]. Cursed Crusade looks very similar to Demon's Souls with its aesthetics, but has a totally different premise.

Due to some Project Dark [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104863-Demons-Souls-2-Not-in-the-Cards]. Atlus may have been cut out of the loop, but that doesn't mean it won't have a dark, medieval third-person action title to release in 2011.

Cursed Crusade gives its main character more of a story this time, and plants him in the realistic setting of Old World western Europe. Actually, I should say characters, because Cursed Crusade features both split-screen and online co-op for its missions.

Players will take on the role of Denz, a holy Templar, with roguish mercenary Esteban playable as a co-op character. Atlus says the duo are trying to "find the means to deliver themselves from a terrible curse that threatens to consume their immortal souls." Okay, maybe it isn't that different from Demon's Souls after all.

This particular trailer shows off some of the locations Denz will visit, chopping and hacking through his foes along the way. The combat system features over 90 combos, a timing-based counter system, and more than 130 weapons such as dual swords, maces, and spears you stab in one end and pull out the other. If some of these moves are initiated in real-time, particularly the part where Denz stabs an enemy, smashes him with his shield, and then twirls his sword before stabbing him again on the ground, it looks like it'll be pretty damn exciting.

Cursed Crusade is based on the fourth crusade of the early 1200s, where a group of crusaders were enlisted to go to the city of Zara but were distracted by the lure of Constantinople instead. Distractions in this Atlus game evidently lead to some devilish things, with Denz shown at the very end of the trailer transformed, sporting horns and using some very badass demonic abilities. Players can transform the world into a "vision of Hell," which increases strength and reveals hidden things, but siphons away Denz's humanity.

The first look [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_YUl3hr4Jo] Atlus gave us of Cursed Crusade made me say: "Hey, neat." After this one, I'm thinking Demon's Souls fans truly have something new to look forward to from Atlus in 2011. Cursed Crusade is planned for release in summer on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC.

Dec 14, 2009
Holy Shit [small](see what I did there?)[/small], that looks awesome!

Currently loving Demon's Souls, would be nice to play something with a little more substance in terms of story and combat.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
PC!

Holy Shit yeah!

will be looking forward to this....

[sub][sub][sub]until they release the requirements[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
I hope it'll actually get released on PC. I wanted Demon's' Soul's so bad, but I don't have a PS3.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Daystar Clarion said:

Currently loving Demon's Souls, would be nice to play something with a little more substance in terms of story and combat.
Ah I've also been playing demon's souls. Just got a ps3 and I always wanted Demon's Souls. So you know how the math goes. Good game, nice atmosphere but really could use a better developed story and darned if the character models aren't ugly.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Demon's Souls is one of my all time favorite games. So Rich as far as playability is concerned. I am looking forward to both this and Project Dark. It's gonna be a good year I think.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Wow... It seems like Atlus has their stuff together. I mean, in recent memory, I cant think of a bad game by them.

and I loook forward to this.

Dec 14, 2009
Ghengis John said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Ah I've also been playing demon's souls. Just got a ps3 and I always wanted Demon's Souls. So you know how the math goes. Good game, nice atmosphere but really could use a better developed story and darned if the character models aren't ugly.
Indeed, I've had my PS3 2 weeks today, Demon's Souls was on of the games that tipped me towards buying the console (also, the Last Guardian, eventually). But yes, the character models are ugly as hell. Reminds me of Bethesda games.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
If those are in game graphics than it's a very pretty game, that holds no sway over my desicion, it just looks nice.

Nice to see Atlus getting more recognition, this game looks awesome, and I wish they were doing Demon's Souls 2, stupid IP wrangling thingy.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Demon's Souls was one of my favorite games of the year. The fact that this is coming to PC makes me doubly excited.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that I have serious doubts this will be able to reproduce alot of the effect Demon Souls had.

Theres just so many intangible things that just seem off in it. The heavier attention to graphical detail, the notion of the story, the combat systems overcomplexity, the speak of co-op play in both split screen and online. Every little thing about it just feels off.

Honestly I hope I am completely wrong with this. Given that Altus has a framework from which to draw from now, they can and absolutely SHOULD use this to try to sure themselves up as a bigger developer. But something just gives me the feeling that this is going to end up being a case of lightning refusing to strike twice.

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
Demon's Souls was too brutal to really be lovable for me, but the graphics, presentation, customisation and combat were all stellar. This should be fucking awesome.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Cursed Crusade is planned for release in summer on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC.
Well well, looks like I finally get a chance to play one of these Atlus games everyone keeps going on about. I just might have to give this a try once it comes out.

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
RatRace123 said:
If those are in game graphics than it's a very pretty game, that holds no sway over my desicion, it just looks nice.

Nice to see Atlus getting more recognition, this game looks awesome, and I wish they were doing Demon's Souls 2, stupid IP wrangling thingy.
Atlus wouldn't be the ones making Demon's Souls 2 even if it were being made. They published it in America. That's it. They had nothing to do with it's creation, and considering a lot of the game was already in English I doubt they had to do much tweaking. Japanese developer From Software made Demon's Souls. Since the Demon's Souls IP is owned by Sony, a theoretical sequel would be tied to the PS3. From Software appear to want to go multi-platform, so what they've decided to do, instead of making a Demon's Souls 2, is to release a spiritual successor to it with a different name and I'm sure a few other tweaks. This way, with a new IP, they can go multiplatform. As referenced in Tom Goldman's article, this successor is called Project Dark. So, in effect, they are making a Demon's Souls 2.

Argh, I hate it every time I have to explain that Atlus had nothing to do with the creation of Demon's Souls.

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
Didn't give Me a demon's souls vibe at all watching that clip, More an assasins creed meets dante's inferno (the crappy game not the book) but it looked sweet!
In my head thats not demon's souls 2, its a new IP.

I love demon's souls so much, I'm kinda glad it's not going to be easy to milk, that and I'm not sure I could make time for another game that requires that much concentration to play, as emersive as it was!