Nominees for Game of the Year

konor77

Aug 26, 2009
Starcraft two was the best game and heavy rain and mass effect deserve honourable mentions.

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
WTF? How the heck is GOW3 not on this list? Whatever I swear sometimes *mumblemumble*

*Walks aways angrily

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
IamSofaKingRaw said:
WTF? How the heck is GOW3 not on this list? Whatever I swear sometimes *mumblemumble*

*Walks aways angrily
That was my first thought as well. But it's hard to narrow it down I guess. I would also have liked to see a few indie games on there, are they not eligable?

Otherwise, nice list. Looking forward to hearing the winners. Are you only doing GOTY or a few more categories? Btw you're a little late with the GOTY awards.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Nice list overall. Each game listed is very good and deserves all the credit they earned.

That said my personal choice would go to Halo: Reach. Easily the best game I've played this year and had the best and addictive multiplayer I've played in a long time. Not to mention a great singleplayer full of great characters, impressive enemy AI, and an amazing soundtrack. Then again I'm pretty bias towards it.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
GeorgW said:
IamSofaKingRaw said:

*Walks aways angrily
That was my first thought as well. But it's hard to narrow it down I guess. I would also have liked to see a few indie games on there, are they not eligable?
I guess not. Did Dragon Age: Awakening come out this year? If so, that should be on there as well.

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
I hope it goes to Heavy Rain. That game really deserves it.

But it won´t. Everyone knows it´s either ME2 or RDR. *Sighs*

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
As great as it was, I'd like to not see RDR win for once.

That said, my pick for GotY will always be ME2, so I'm not exactly a nonconformist here. (Although I hated hated HATED Heavy Rain.)

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Jaranja said:
GeorgW said:
IamSofaKingRaw said:

*Walks aways angrily
I guess not. Did Dragon Age: Awakening come out this year? If so, that should be on there as well.
If you mean Origins, then no, that was late 2009.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Sad thing is I've only actually played two games on the list to any real extent. And niether one of them would I consider game of the year worthy compared to other games I have played.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
My games of the year (in rough order):
Cataclysm
Mass Effect 2
Starcraft 2
Super Street Fighter IV

Didn't get a chance to play RDR, but if it's anything like a Wild West GTA (as it was described to me by many people), I'd have hated it. The Rockstar-style sandbox games don't appeal to me in the least.

Also, thank God one site on the entire fucking internet realized how absolutely dreadful Black Ops was. It was depressingly bad compared to the Modern Warfare games (yes, even MW2 was many times over better).

Apr 28, 2008
Out of that list, I say give it to either New Vegas or Kirby. Both amazing games and my two favorites of the year. Their choice though.

Probably will be RDR or ME2. Which I don't think deserve it that much. Marston came off as a prick(although I guess for good reason, but still, I don't like pricks) and the story felt disjointed. And ME2 didn't really advance the plot at all.

Just my opinion though.

May 25, 2010
Ugh, lists like this all pretty much look the same to me. Not bad games, but not really great ones either.

I don't know why everyone keeps saying 2010 was such a good year when from my point of view it was easily the worst year in the current gen. 2011 looks nice though. (at least it does now)

I haven't decided what my pick for GOTY, actually. Will probably end up giving it to some indie title since there weren't any big name titles that really clicked with me this year. Some had their moments (Red Dead and Heavy Rain, and I suppose Bayonetta as well but in a different way) but didn't feel compelling all that much as complete packages. That said, I haven't played New Vegas yet, and I'm just dying to try it out.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
I hope ME2 wins, but I will not be disappointed if SC2 wins, anything else and my soul will be crushed. But I'm sure the Escapist wouldn't that that to me...would it?

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Suskie said:

That said, my pick for GotY will always be ME2, so I'm not exactly a nonconformist here. (Although I hated hated HATED Heavy Rain.)
People either love or hate Heavy Rain, there is no middle ground. I thought it was brilliant and got me more immersed than any game I have ever played. By the end I was Ethan Mars, not just some super soldier that I was telling to move forward and shoot.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
Ugh, lists like this all pretty much look the same to me.
That's why we also do our favorites lists - bit more variety there: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/FiveFavorites/2010.php

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
KEM10 said:
Suskie said:

People either love or hate Heavy Rain, there is no middle ground. I thought it was brilliant and got me more immersed than any game I have ever played. By the end I was Ethan Mars, not just some super soldier that I was telling to move forward and shoot.
I never understand that argument. Heavy Rain was the least immersive game I played this year for the simple reason that all you're ever doing is following button prompts. You immerse me by giving me mechanics, not by having me play Simon Says for the length of an eight-hour game.

Rant over. Possibly.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
My vote goes for Mass Effect 2. The Mass Effect games are the only games I can spend hundreds of hours playing and never tire of them (the first one alone I spent over 200 hours playing). The story is great, the characters are deep, the universe is rich, and it's all just go greatly presented and displayed that you just can't help but stare in awe.
The only reason I haven't gone through ME2 more than 4 times is because my copy was stolen from me by my younger brother who pawned it off to buy a game he sold about two weeks after he got it.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
i would say castlevania, but i can understand that not everyone agrees with that. i do not totally agree with the list, bujt i have learned that i always have a different opinion that the most people. but still, there are some games,which are nominated, where i totally disgree with. halo reach, RDR are examples of those.but yeah, it is a matter of opinion i would love to see the latest proffesor laytonon the list.