Mainstream Sitcom Set to Finally Portray Dungeons & Dragons Positively

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Mainstream Sitcom Set to Finally Portray Dungeons & Dragons Positively

The ensemble of NBC sitcom Community are going to toss some dice playing Dungeons & Dragons over the course of an upcoming episode.

Community has quietly become one of the most innovative situational comedies on American television. The show follows Joel McHale playing a disbarred lawyer who's forced to re-enroll in college where he befriends several characters there including Pierce Hawthorne played by elder comedian Chevy Chase. Show creator Dan Harmon continues to take risks that transcend the normal one camera sitcom formula. This Christmas, the show featured an entire episode in claymation as an homage to the old specials like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. But Harmon's geekiest departure may be an upcoming episode centered on the group of community college students playing a session of Dungeons & Dragons and might be the first time in a while that mainstream television doesn't just retread the gaming stereotype.

"They'll just be sitting at a table playing," Dan Harmon said. "But there are [style choices] that will make it really interesting."

I can only imagine that given the show's reputation we'll get images of the character's, um, characters as they fight monsters and gather loot.

This won't be the first time that a major network show featured its cast playing the classic tabletop role-playing game. The last aired episode of Judd Apatow's Freaks and Geeks showed Daniel Desario played by James Franco enjoy a particularly memorable session as Carlos the Dwarf [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJAGxAeV7YU].

And one cast member of Community is pretty familiar with role playing as he appeared in the comedy film Role Models as the LARP King Argotron. Ken Jeong plays an unhinged ex-Spanish teacher named Señor Ben Chang in Community and I can't wait to see what kind of character he rolls in the D&D-themed episode.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/tca-nbc%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%98community%E2%80%99-to-feature-dungeons-dragons-themed-episode/#more-96575]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I love watching Communnity so I can't wait for this episode to be air!

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
They've never done this on The Big Bang theory? That's such a pot stereotypical bullshit I'm amazed they haven't milked the DnD thing.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
manythings said:
They've never done this on The Big Bang theory? That's such a pot stereotypical bullshit I'm amazed they haven't milked the DnD thing.
Big bang usually milk cartoons, video games and TV shows, can't really think of anytime that Sheldon, Leonard, Raj or Howard have referenced DnD or tabletop gaming in general.

OT: Knowing how long until episodes get shown on TV here, I guess this episode won't be on TV here until August =/

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
therandombear said:
manythings said:
Big bang usually milk cartoons, video games and TV shows, can't really think of anytime that Sheldon, Leonard, Raj or Howard have referenced DnD or tabletop gaming in general.

OT: Knowing how long until episodes get shown on TV here, I guess this episode won't be on TV here until August =/
They have used it. Bill Prady has asked for fan input regarding D&D on his twitter.

OT: Can't wait to see this ep. My DVR goes nuts on Thursdays and I usually grab community on Hulu but now that Always Sunny is over, I'll have space to grab it on time!

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I hate Community. It's not funny in the slightest, the characters aren't likable and the plot is extremely boring. *Mr. Negative*

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Xzi said:
Arkhangelsk said:
I hate Community. It's not funny in the slightest, the characters aren't likable and the plot is extremely boring. *Mr. Negative*
Some of the characters aren't meant to be likable at times, and the plot is different for every episode. You must have decided you hated it halfway through the pilot.

Chevy's character is the funniest he's been since the 80's or early 90's.
I didn't actually. The show was on between two shows I watched, so I thought 'What they hey, might be fun'. Watched a few episodes every now and then, but eventually I just found it extremely stale with not much depth to go with. Sorry, just ain't my cup of tea. (If you wonder, the comedy I do find enjoyable is shows like Scrubs, Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother)

ChillShark

Oct 13, 2010
This show gives the same vibe as 30Rock and Better off Ted. I like the irony and the oddball eccentricities of the characters. To me, shows like these I can easily relate with. I can't wait for the new season of Community to start showing where I live!

The goat's mustache is Cameron Diaz!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
While its nice that someones trying to put DnD in a nice way of social interaction, I'm afraid it just isnt.

The DnD forums have apparently seen some of the largest and hottest flame wars in all known history, except we cant confirm that because all mentions pertaining to the war, right down to the cause, were wiped from the forum. This measure is so enforced that any moderator that even hints the cause of the flame war is immeadiatly fired and all threads about the history of the war are deleted on sight.

The forum is locked in a neverending grudge match over various versions of the board game and they all hate everything that claims to be DnD but is not the board game. Seriously even mentioning the expanded universe to them is like putting 'Splosion Man in a fireworks factory.

All in all, its ok only if you just play the game. Just dont for the life of you get involved with the community. Unless youre looking for an easy target for trolling.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
HankMan said:
How?
HOW?
How do they keep finding ways to make Community more awesome?
^^This.

<3 Community, <3 DnD.

It's total win. I think if they put any more win into Community, the space-time continuum will rupture.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Nice, I'll probably check it out. I don't usually watch Community, but I did catch the paintball episode awhile back and loved it.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
It makes me happy to realize people genuinely do like this show. I find myself being hyper critical about just about anything on television, but there is just something about this show that clicks for me.

I look at some shows like IT crowd, How I met your mother, Big bang theory etc, shows that would fit my demographic for me to like and I just cant get into them. With community I have no such issues.

Kudos for trying to portray DnD in a positive light. If done correctly it CAN be a positive social experience. I wouldnt really point to the flamewars from DnD forums because your looking at a worst case scenario with people who are already entirely too serious about DnD to the point that they are compelled to discuss it on an online forum. The game itself IS fairly social when you have basically novices playing on level playing fields.

Somehow, I can only see Ahbed being the DM. No one else in my mind would make sense.