New Deus Ex Will Take At Least 25 Hours

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Deus Ex Will Take At Least 25 Hours

Eidos says the upcoming Deus Ex: Human Revolution [http://www.amazon.com/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Augmented-Pc/dp/B004EIOH80/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1295285739&sr=8-2] can be finished in about 25 hours, but if you want to do everything the game has to offer it "isn't even close."

Size matters. This is an incontrovertible fact. But there's also truth in the corollary that it's not what you've got but what you do with it that counts. We're talking about videogames, of course; eight hours of concentrated awesomeness is better than 30 hours of a half-baked, derivative sequel. Whether or not the new Deus Ex will deliver the awesome remains to be seen but at an estimated 25 hours in length, it certainly sounds like it will be a meaty game.

"So far with them playing about six hours every day, most of them don't complete the game," producer David Anfossi said in the new issue of PC Gamer U.K. (via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=283769]), referring to the testing team's six-day week. And while 25 hours may be enough to plow through it, he suggested that players might find themselves taking longer as they get drawn into the game.

"The ones that are more casual gamers, who are used to more 'corridor, cut-scene, corridor, cut-scene' type of gameplay - they play it that way for a while," he continued. "Then suddenly, there's this new world that opens to them, and they start getting a bit more creative."

The Eidos Montreal development team expressed similar comments on Twitter [http://twitter.com/eidosmontreal/status/27030531946319872], albeit a little more bluntly, writing, "DX:HR is 25 hours long? Maybe, but if you like to do everything, 25 hours isn't even close."

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is expected to launch later this year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106183-Square-Enix-Delays-Deux-Ex-Human-Revolution].

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
it better be the case! and i sure hope they'll release a full version (Uncharted 2 GOTY) with all the bullcrap DLC and expansions they think they'll sell us separately !

we gamers have the power of boycotting gaming companies, even though it requires many, we need to ask them to do more each time ! and not stagnate in bland standard games.

actually they should do even more than just 25 hours... but for commercial purposes it's more than probable they can't or won't... (Deus ex 5 6 7 etc)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Can't. Fucking. Wait.

Oh, and an interesting tidbit from the latest issue of PCG's preview: the game doesn't have enemy scaling, they have easy, normal and hard difficulty levels. Apparently, whoever told Eurogamer they have scaled enemies was either "drunk or doesn't work [t]here".

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Sounds awesome. It will be nice to get a nice, long, meaty game. Let us hope all those hours will be consistently entertaining.

ChipSandwich

Jan 3, 2010
Hopefully there'll be a few hours without GOLD AND GREEN EVERYWHERE, better than brown and bloom though.

Also, I honestly hope that, gameplay wise, the game is completely different from DX1. Not that it was bad (quite the opposite), it's just that when you "refine" a sequel, it doesn't turn out as good as you might expect (see:CoD, especially Treyarch)

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
It took me just over 23 hours to beat the first Deus Ex, so that sounds perfect! Can't wait to get my hands on it...

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I'm intentionally trying to dial down my expectations for this game, but this sounds very very promising indeed.

Indeed the info that they've been dishing out - that it's going to be a long, deep game, that you can complete it without killing anyone except bosses... they really do seem to be trying to reassure the fans of the original that this is going to live up to that standard. If it does it's going to be a serious contendor for 2011 GOTY.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Interest just spiked; I expected a 8 hour game at max. As long as the reviews are alright, first week purchase.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
YES!!! This and Duke Nukem Forever taking about 20 hours to complete, it seems that the action genre is heading the right way in terms of content. :)

PS: lol, my "solve media" thing (captcha alternative) made me write "HIGH FIVE".... FUCK YES!!!

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
I cannot wait for this game.

Seeing trailers and clips of Human Revolution gives me the same feeling I used to have when a new Metal Gear Solid game was on the way.

This recent news makes the game even more appealing.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Nice. You can plow through the main stories of games like Oblivion and Fallout pretty quickly, but it's the sidequests that make up the meat of the game. If Deus Ex is as proportionate, then this will be a LONG ASS game.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
OK i have generally being putting off this game because i didnt really liked what was being said, but this is really interesting, a 25 hour game that can be expanded into as much as you think you could do?? hell thats one of the good things in any game a really long game!

forget replay value, if they make one game that takes enough to be a challenge and fullfilling withouth it feeling like a chore, then i would probably not touch it again, but i would never return it if it has more stuff in it, so i could get in and see what the hell are all those things.

xDHxD148L0

The Dissapointed Gamer
Apr 16, 2009
Good to hear, but I really don't need to hear something like that to motivate me to buy a new game, hell Vanquish was one of my favorite games last year and it was like 5-6 hours long.Still no complaints here the only thing I can see that might go wrong is if the they padded out the gameplay for lenght.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Fronzel said:
Am I wrong to still be wary since Square-Enix is involved in this?
You have a point, it really sucks if they just fill the game with pretty cutscenes. At least this isnt from Kojima lol

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
cautiously optimistic. when i read the headline i was like "only 25 hours for an RPG? that's a ripoff!" but then i read the rest, and i suppose 25 hours is about right to plow through most rpgs, and it's all the other stuff that fleshes them out to the 100+ hour range.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Fronzel said:
Am I wrong to still be wary since Square-Enix is involved in this?
Yes.

You are wrong.

Square Enix is totally hands-off as a publisher of Western developed games.

Kane & Lynch 2 sucked purely because of the developers. No matter who published it, it would still suck.