Custom Firmware 3.55 Bricking PS3s

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Custom Firmware 3.55 Bricking PS3s

Problems with the new custom firmware for the PlayStation 3 render many consoles completely useless.

Unless you're in the market for a $300 paperweight, stay away from Custom Firmware v3.55.

Custom firmware, which allows users to run programs not sanctioned by Sony like homebrewed or pirated games, first showed up earlier this year after hackers released the root keys that allowed access to the heart of the PS3's programming. Since then, the firmware has been updated on a fairly regular basis.

Soon after hacker Waninkoko released it, it was reported that the newest firmware was causing many consoles to become unresponsive blocks of wire and plastic.

The hacker's site provided an update, saying "Do NOT install in Slim consoles! Looks like users are reporting bricking issues. That's weird as the CFW was tested on both models. Well... I don't know if those problems are real or just jokes. As I said, some testers tried this and worked in both models."

Over the course of the day, Waninkoko narrowed the range of consoles that would brick with the new CFW installed. Starting as a broad notion of "some fat models, some slim" the suspects became "Consoles (older models) with 256MB NAND."

PS3-hacks.com has a full list [http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2011/01/17/waninkokos-ps3-custom-firmware-with-backup-support/] of PS3 models that will brick with the CFW available, with both Slim and Fat PS3s listed. If you must install Custom Firmware 3.55 today, check the list and make sure your model isn't listed.

Source: N4G [http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/01/17/why-you-shouldnt-install-custom-firmware-on-your-ps3/]

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Well, thank God I don't need it. Although this really sucks for people who did download it and are now experiencing what I call distraught paperweight syndrome.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
So people running hacked and pirated software are being hurt by this?

Sounds good to me.

If am wrong, and people who do this with no wrong intent are hurt I give you:

8(

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Is it evil of me to be amused by this? Sucks if you happen to lose your console through this, but that's what you get for trying to pirate games.

Good luck trying to explain this to Sony support.

Steven Vascellaro

Apr 2, 2010
Wait just one minute there.

Did you say... Waninkoko?
Thats the guy famous for making the WAD installer and custom CIOSs on the Wii!

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
"If you must install Custom Firmware 3.55 today, check the list and make sure your model isn't listed."

Not too sure if I'm getting the right angle here, but it seems the Escapist is helping piracy in some way. I mean, why give people warning? If you get your console bricked because of piracy, then that seems like karma to me.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Wait, so is this only affecting people with teh dodgy shitz on their console?

Because that's what the comments are saying but the article isn't really clear. And if this does only affect pirates, why is the Escapist linking to a list that helps them out?

Steven Vascellaro

Apr 2, 2010
wooty said:
"If you must install Custom Firmware 3.55 today, check the list and make sure your model isn't listed."

Not too sure if I'm getting the right angle here, but it seems the Escapist is helping piracy in some way. I mean, why give people warning? If you get your console bricked because of piracy, then that seems like karma to me.
I feel like a broken record here, but not all homebrew is piracy.

Case and point...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo5scCwtrBc&fmt=35

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
Steven Vascellaro said:
Wait just one minute there.

Did you say... Waninkoko?
Thats the guy famous for making the WAD installer and custom CIOSs on the Wii!
I hate to say this but you're late to the game. We've all known this for ages.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Well, I have mixed opinion.

To the pricks who are pirating games being self entitled little sods and giving a bad name to CFW, good.

To the guys who want to put a Gameboy Color emulator on it(legally emulating it if they have the game/system) for some Pokemon...

I feel for you bros. You shouldn't be having this happen to you. You just wanted Nostalgia...

EDIT:[sub]Obviously, I despise piracy. I support homebrew 100%. Because Sony certainly isn't allowing my PS3 to play .mkv files natively.[/sub]