No Cannon Fodder 3 For You! (Unless You're Russian)

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No Cannon Fodder 3 For You! (Unless You're Russian)

Good news: a new version of Cannon Fodder [http://www.amazon.com/Cannon-Fodder-DOS/dp/B0007KRWXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1295370330&sr=1-1] is in the works! Bad news: if you don't live in Russia, you probably won't get to play it.

GFI [http://www.codemasters.com/]. An emerging alliance between European, Asian and African military interests seeks to dominate the world and your job is to stop it at any cost, even if it means feeding thousands of "cannon fodder" soldiers into the battlefield meat grinder. The game will include isometric 3D environments with weather effects, day and night cycles, destructible environments and even a trip into space - but what it may not include is a version for non-Russian gamers.

The initial excitement over a new Cannon Fodder was quickly tempered by a statement from Codemasters strongly hinting that the game may never get an English-language release. "In 2008 Codemasters licensed the Cannon Fodder IP to GFI for a one-title project," a Codemasters rep told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-18-will-cannon-fodder-3-release-in-the-uk]. "Under the agreement, GFI is designing and developing a new game based on the series for release in Russia and the CIS territories. Codemasters understands that GFI's plans for distribution and release outside of Russia and the CIS have yet to be announced."

While the obvious implication of "yet to be announced" is that an announcement could happen, Codemasters doesn't come across as overly enthusiastic about the game or the idea of localizing it for wider release. Even a reasonably successful launch in Russia won't mean much if Codemasters doesn't think it will fly with Western audiences. On the other hand, the accessibility and relatively low cost of platforms like Steam and XBLA mean that anything can happen, so keep your fingers crossed!

Cannon Fodder 3 is being developed for the PC and Xbox 360, but no release target for any territory has been announced.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Kalezian said:
just imagine if MGS or Final Fantasy never got released anywhere else than Japan........

wait...........that sounds pretty awesome, actually.
not sure

Metal Gear Solid is an awesome series, as for Final Fantasy... yes, it should have kept in Japan after FFVI on SNES

(I still can't understand how we went from Cecil, a knight in a dragon armor, to Tidus, a blonde.... thing)

Jul 22, 2009
teh_Canape said:
(I still can't understand how we went from Cecil, a knight in a dragon armor, to Tidus, a blonde.... thing)
Tidus was a much more personal and light hearted character.

He's also brilliant.

OT: Never played the originals but if areas outside Russia do get a port I'll be sure to try it out.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
On the other hand, the accessibility and relatively low cost of platforms like Steam and XBLA mean that anything can happen, so keep your fingers crossed!
And, as Recettear proved, anything has happened, and be successful to boot.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
teh_Canape said:
Kalezian said:
just imagine if MGS or Final Fantasy never got released anywhere else than Japan........

wait...........that sounds pretty awesome, actually.
not sure

Metal Gear Solid is an awesome series, as for Final Fantasy... yes, it should have kept in Japan after FFVI on SNES

And yet, it was Final Fantasy VII that made the series big in the West. :p

On topic, all I can say to this is.....FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! The originals were incredibly fun games. Quite hard, but fun nevertheless. It is a shame that there are no plans for releasing this game outside of Russia.

That said, the very fact that it is being released in Russia gives me hope for a retail release and not just a DD-only one.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
In Soviet Russia...

I've never played this games, although it does look pretty cool may try and get one of the originals.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Delusibeta said:
On the other hand, the accessibility and relatively low cost of platforms like Steam and XBLA mean that anything can happen, so keep your fingers crossed!
And, as Recettear proved, anything has happened, and be successful to boot.
I thought the same thing. Article draws a lot of conclusions from pessimism. I wouldn't count out an eventual US port.

Stubee said:
Cannon fodder was awesome but brutally hard. The amount of times i blew up a building only to have the roof fly off and crush my entire squad... Good times!
Man... tell me about it. I finished the game with my original squad Jops, Jool, Stu and RJ. Do you know how many times I had to reload? But after getting the boys through to like mission 12 it didn't seem right for any of them not to see the war through to the end. To make things a little easier though my leveled up squad did cut most of the baddies a new one. They had some stories to tell I'll bet.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Tom Phoenix said:
And yet, it was Final Fantasy VII that made the series big in the West. :p
a surprisingly boring RPG to me

won't say about it's quality, because saying it was a bad game is incredibly stupid and also a huge lie, because it is a very good game

but it's just, like some switch flipped off in me and just stopped enjoying the series like I did with the SNES and NES ones

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
messy said:
In Soviet Russia...

I've never played this games, although it does look pretty cool may try and get one of the originals.
They're small, the first one fit on a 3.5 inch floppy and I actually got it free for subscribing to PC gamer. Or was that the second game? Either way.

Divinegon

Dec 12, 2007
Wait, there was a Cannon Fodder 2?

I didn't even finish my Cannon Fodder on the GBC because I just couldn't bear having my soldiers die so I kept restarting the game.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Cannon Fodder was on of the first Computer games I got addicted too. That stupid Ice flow mission with the turrets I could never figure out.

Would be sad for a WESTERN title to be help for ransom in the East like this, damn shame!

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Cannon Fodder! Oh man this game was amazing. I could never get past Level 9 because of skidoo and the ramp jumps :(

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
NOOOOOO!

Cannon fodder is 100% distillate of genius gaming design. So very, very simple and yet hard enough to defeat most players.
Losing Jopps and Jools to a skidoo accident in the later part of the game still makes me feel bad; I kept trying to finish the game with them in the line-up and never managed it.

Those games were two of the best games that game out of Britain even with Bullfrog as competition, why is it being tied to Russia alone this time around?

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Never heard of this series before but from the sounds of it I think i would have enjoyed this greatly.

Who wouldn't want to send thousands upon thousands of soldiers to their death?