Dead Space 2 Gets Green Light for Germany

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dead Space 2 Gets Green Light for Germany

Dead Space 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-2-Playstation-3/dp/B00309XHD0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1295384849&sr=8-2] is coming to Germany in February and aside from a little change to multiplayer, it'll be completely intact when it gets there.

It wasn't a huge surprise when the German state of Bavaria gave the EA [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106430-Bavaria-Rejects-Dead-Space-2-Rating] has now announced that after much horsing around, the game has finally been given the all-clear and a release date for all platforms has now been set.

The game will be modified slightly in accordance with the demands of the USK, Germany's videogame rating agency, leaving the single-player portion intact while the multiplayer mode will have friendly fire disabled. It's a bit of an odd change given that the single-player mode is built around creatively dismembering hordes of horribly mutated zombies, but the seemingly-minor tweak is apparently enough to keep the authorities happy because it addresses concerns about killing humans in videogames.

EA said it was pleased that the state had finally given the game the rating "it deserves" but added that the painfully drawn-out process clearly demonstrated that the German rating system, at least as it regards the PSP, is "impractical." It also said that because of the many delays in getting a rating, the game itself will be delayed a bit too: the rest of the world will get its hands on Dead Space 2 on January 25, while German gamers will have to wait until February 3.

Source: RipTen [http://www.ripten.com/2011/01/17/dead-space-2-delayed-until-february-3rd-in-germany/]

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
How will the kids ever grow up to be psychopath serial killers and dictators if they don't get their daily dose of friendly fire in Dead Space 2? D:

My plans are ruined!

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
Wow, we let something like that through? Surprises me that the Bavarian government hasn't found anything else to hinder the release of that game. Are our videogame heaters giving in?
In all seriousness though, the USK doesn't seem to have all that much of a problem if the violence is clearly fantastic and/or not directed against humans.

On this friendly fire thing, I remember that being a issue for the rating for a few games, and I actually have no idea why. Maybe it has something to do with what I stated above, especially if the same kind of dismemberment effects the game is famous for also apply to to human characters.

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
I showed this to my circle of gaming friends, we laughed our collective asses off.

Won't this make the game easier?

The Rookie Gamer

Mar 15, 2010
The Hairminator said:
How will the kids ever grow up to be psychopath serial killers and dictators if they don't get their daily dose of friendly fire in Dead Space 2? D:

My plans are ruined!
God damn it, my little Jimmy is going to have to use Manhunt now.

OT: Friendly fire? They don't mind that you can play as mutated children and babies to kill the humans, but another human doing it is a no no?

AngryFrenchCanadian

Dec 4, 2008
SlainPwner666 said:
I showed this to my circle of gaming friends, we laughed our collective asses off.

Won't this make the game easier?
From the time I had with the beta, friendly fire was more of an issue on the Necromorph side. It seems Germany only has a problem with Human characters killing other human characters, as it is entirely possible for a Necromorph player to dismember their victim.

Apr 28, 2008
They stopped the game from releasing because of friendly fire?

I don't have the words necessary to describe how fucking stupid this is.

Utarefson

Apr 15, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
Wait so all it needed was no freindly fire?
The fuck?
Actually, you have to be a german to understand that. And even then, you'll still most likely won't.

Irridium said:
They stopped the game from releasing because of friendly fire?

I don't have the words necessary to describe how fucking stupid this is.
Well, Bavaria tried to stop it, and bavaria is sort of the german version of texas...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
For some strange reason, this reminds me of the song they play for the Mormons in South Park.

Piflik

Feb 25, 2010
Well...the first Dead Space was completely uncut here in Germany, because it didn't have violence against humans...and was it not for the possibility to hurt your fellow players in the multiplayer mode, Dead Space 2 wouldn't have gotten a problem, either...they could even have left the friendly fire option to get a rating, but the would have to have remove the possibility to separate limbs for the humans...

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Utarefson said:
Actually, you have to be a german to understand that. And even then, you'll still most likely won't.
There was quote about Mad World being in Germany. How?

This from the wiki: "On August 19, 2008, Sega announced that MadWorld will not be released in Germany. Sega has released MadWorld in Australia, another country with strict video game classification. Despite this, the game has been released in Australia unedited, with an MA15+ rating.2

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
so Bavaria, the only difference between a country of nice, friendly people and a country of violent youths is friendly fire in a video game?

Sounds stupid to me. Some people have no idea...