World of StarCraft Hit With Copyright Claim

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
World of StarCraft Hit With Copyright Claim

The MMO fan project World of StarCraft has hit a snag as a copyright complaint from Activision has resulted in the removal of all related videos from YouTube.

Well that sure didn't take long. Barely a day after being YouTube [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107039-Blizzard-Fans-Fuse-StarCraft-2-and-WoW-Into-Whole-New-Game] regarding copyright complaints over "pre-alpha" videos he'd posted online. The message is as follows:

ATTENTION
We have received copyright complaint(s) regarding material you posted, as follows:

from Activision Games Inc about World of Starcraft Pre-Alpha Trailer - CreationArtist25
Video ID: RU1dSXU_Bk0
from Activision Games Inc about World of Starcraft Character Selection Screen - CreationArtist25
Video ID: 37dp_5E5NvQ
from Activision Games Inc about Starcraft 2 ATB Battle System MOD - 'POWER OVERWHELMING' - CreationArtist25
Video ID: BTl7YWYFnP8
Please note: Repeat incidents of copyright infringement will result in the deletion of your account and all videos you have uploaded. Please delete any videos for which you do not own the necessary rights, and refrain from uploading infringing videos.

If you are unsure what this means, it is very important that you visit our Copyright Tips guide.

If one of your postings has been misidentified as infringing, you may submit a counter-notification. Information about this process is in our Help Center.

Please note that under Section 512(f) of the Copyright Act, any person who knowingly materially misrepresents that material was disabled due to mistake or misidentification may be liable for damages.

For your reference, a copy of this message has been sent to you via email, and can also be located in your Account Warnings page.

It's not good news, but it's worth bearing in mind that StarCraft [http://www.activision.com] MMO right now but protecting that very valuable World of StarCraft title is absolutely in Activision's interest.

If it does come down to a question of name, Ryan said on the battle.net [http://www.worldofstarcraft.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=visit&action=display&thread=56] to work," he wrote. "I hope and pray that we can come to an understanding here. If they want the name changed then I'll change it."

We've reached out to Blizzard for more information and will update when we find out more.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
It's very odd, to me. As I said yesterday, there is absolutely no reason for Blizzard to kill a prominent project being created with their own SC2 map editor - quite the opposite. Given that this doesn't seem to be a C&D and it's just the videos being taken down, I'm in agreement with Andy - the only thing I can think of that would be objectionable is the use of the name.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
Figures it had to be activision. If that sorry as of a human bobby kotick cant milk the product himself he makes sure its removed. What a stupid move blizzard did when merging with activision.

JerrytheBullfrog

Dec 30, 2009
mxfox408 said:
Figures it had to be activision. If that sorry as of a human bobby kotick cant milk the product himself he sends a C&D. What a stupid move blizzard did when merging with activision.
AFAIK, no C&D was sent. It's just the youtube videos being taken down.

Reading comprehension, we can haz it?

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
mxfox408 said:
Figures it had to be activision. If that sorry as of a human bobby kotick cant milk the product himself he sends a C&D. What a stupid move blizzard did when merging with activision.
Read the article. There was no C&D. No one is telling the guy to stop making anything. Youtube just pulled the videos. Activision/Blizzard may have made them pull the videos just to stop the spread of the name of the mod the guy is making, but hasn't prohibited the development of the mod.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
JerrytheBullfrog said:
mxfox408 said:

OH Noes the grammer police everyone make sure to turn on your english major skills or you will be quoted for your grammer.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Was it Blizzard that filed the claim or was it Activision? They often seems fairly separate from one another and one seems more likely to care about a mod.

monnes

Sep 23, 2009
mxfox408 said:
JerrytheBullfrog said:
mxfox408 said:

OH Noes the grammer police everyone make sure to turn on your english major skills or you will be quoted for your grammer.
Had nothing to do with grammar...

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
I honestly hope actizard picks this up as a full production.
I mean let a fan start something cool and watch the reaction. If its good or better swoop in and put a full team behind the idea.

I would play WOSC.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
:O

Maybe if they don't like the name it means Blizzard is planning to make a World of Starcraft itself!

Or not >_>

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
I know that they are merged, but didn't awhile back activision said it wouldn't touch anything of blizzard's? If this is activision alone trying to get it taken down and they get proof blizzard is fine with it, they can't get sued or anything from the video because blizzard, the company that made the game in the first place, is fine with it and then there is nothing the cash milking activision can do about it. Just get blizzard on board, and they are in the clear.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Can't anyone take a joke anymore...oh wait it's activison, the guy's who are currently the grinch of the gaming world. I appricate that your running a business Bobby, but how the fuck would you use the name World of Starcraft? What could you possibly make out of that? This whole thing would be like Bungie preventing Arby and the Chief incase they wanted to make their own sitcom in the future...and that actually makes better sense then this.

Novania

Feb 5, 2009
I really hope he manages to get a playable mode out there some time cause that game looks sweet.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
mxfox408 said:
Make sure you understand what you're attempting to insult someone about before you act all high and mighty...Reading comprehension has nothing to do with grammar. Hardcore fail!

Apr 28, 2008
John Funk said:
It's very odd, to me. As I said yesterday, there is absolutely no reason for Blizzard to kill a prominent project being created with their own SC2 map editor - quite the opposite. Given that this doesn't seem to be a C&D and it's just the videos being taken down, I'm in agreement with Andy - the only thing I can think of that would be objectionable is the use of the name.
It may have been Activision. I think. Does Activision own Blizzard's IP's in any way?

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Blizzard should do as Valve...hire them and get them make it under their name, these guys are clearly not idiots and if they make them stop it, something awesome might be wasted.

If it really is about the name just change it, "Space Command" "Space Marines", "Space Something" or "Marines in Space"...the last one sounded like a bad movie from the 80s, maybe not listen to my naming suggestions, but still. Shame if it's beaten down completely.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
This could very well be just an effort to protect their IP, as in they don't want to lose control over the Starcraft brand because they let this sort of project go, which I can easily understand. But I don't quite know the full idea of what World of Starcraft is supposed to be, as in how it is going to be release and played. I'm sort of just sitting here and waiting for the next story to unfold before I make any strong opinions.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
I've only been waiting on an official "World of Starcraft" for the last 12+ years <.<

Still cant believe how much awesome the custom maps have become in SC2 compared to SC1, I played a Space DOTA last night then switch to Sins of a Solar Empire Clone then my friend made me play a ridiculous farmville game XD

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Getting back to the topic at hand, kids, the whole point is that so far Activision hasn't done anything to quash the game. It's protecting a very valuable name but given no sign that it's actually going to drop the hammer on the guys making this thing. Hell, this time tomorrow it might come to light that Acti spoke with Ryan, they settled on a name change and it's full steam ahead.

Remember, once a few details were sorted out, Acti gave the green light to The Silver Lining, the King's Quest fan project that's in the process of being released. It may play hardball, but not everything it does is villainous by default.