Nintendo Creates 3DS "Launch Window," Not Launch Lineup

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nintendo Creates 3DS "Launch Window," Not Launch Lineup

Nintendo might not have its 3DS launch titles pinned down just yet, but it does have a deadline for dozens of games.

At Nintendo's 3DS event in New York where it revealed the system's price and release date [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107068-Nintendo-Reveals-US-3DS-Pricing-and-Release-Date], it also talked about some of the first games that'll be coming out from both Nintendo and 3rd party publishers. Unfortunately, it referred to most of them under the umbrella of a "launch window," rather than as launch titles.

We already know about the 3DS's Japanese launch lineup [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106777-Nintendo-World-Unveils-3DS-Launch-Lineup-Battery-Life], but the lineups in North America and Europe are apparently up in the air at the moment. Though Nintendo talked about titles such as Pilotwings Resort, Nintendogs + Cats, Kid Icarus: Uprising, the remake of Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, I was really only able to determine that the 3DS version of Madden will be available at launch. The rest of the titles are under Nintendo's "launch window," which is the time period from March 27 to the start of E3 2011 on June 7.

All told, Nintendo does expect more than 30 games to be released in this period. Some of the games considered to be in the launch window are the previously mentioned titles, Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D, Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars, Ridge Racer 3D, and Dead or Alive: Dimensions. It's possible that certain games like Kid Icarus: Uprising might not even make it into the window, as I was told it's simply "coming soon." We may still have to wait a few weeks to see what'll officially be available at launch.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
in a previous and similar thread I asked the world at large what the release titles would be and this answers me well enough. I'm not excited about Madden and would willingly wait for Zelda and Lego Star Wars. Of course if I waited longer, like for Star Fox, the price for the console may have dropped if only slightly...though doubtful.

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
I'd probably be looking to drop money on this day one, except EVERYTHING is already coming out in March and I've got another $100 in preorders to pay off. Then, there have been rumors off a super-special (read: expensive) version of Mass Effect 3. This cash cow just dried up.

Kid_Icarus55

Feb 20, 2009
Yup that settles it, no first gen 3DS for me, Im gonna wait until the bring out the 3DS Lite or something, its bound to happen

Sprogus

The Lord of Dreams
Jan 8, 2009
It seems a bit sloppy that they don't really know what games are going to be released at launch.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
As I mentioned before, probably going to wait until the next model of 3DS is out.
I mean, no Ocarina for launch? What madness is this?

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
I'm surprised no Zelda. Seems like it woulda been a fine idea to push out your best titles at Launch so as to sell the actual systems. /sigh I won't purchase one of shit Madden is my only option. Oo