Ricky Gervais to Reprise Office Role on American Version

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Ricky Gervais to Reprise Office Role on American Version

Michael Scott and David Brent will finally meet face-to-face on January 27.

Steve Carell is set to leave The Office in a few short months [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106966-The-Office-Is-Hiring-Steve-Carell-Leaving-Before-Seasons-End], but not before he gets some facetime with his British predecessor. Ricky Gervais will appear on the American version of The Office, reprising his role as David Brent from the original British Office.

Showrunner Paul Lieberstein told New York Magazine's Vulture that the interaction is pretty short: "It's a little more than if you blink, you'll miss it, but if you don't set your TiVo right, you'll miss it." He also acknowledged that it was a difficult meeting to reconcile within the worlds of the respective shows, what with both characters being followed by documentary filmmakers. Ultimately, Lieberstein tells Vulture, the meeting will take place "outside of the office, and it's just the two of them interacting. It's just a little nod to Steve and his final year."

The scene was actually filmed back in September, and, according to Vulture, Lieberstein says "we didn't even tell NBC at first. So [Ricky] worked for free. But don't print that -- it might get him in trouble with the INS." The producers tried to keep a lid on things because they wanted the appearance to be a total surprise, much like George Clooney's reappearance near the end of ER. A secret unknown to the internets? How quaint.

The episode will air on January 27.

Source: Vulture [http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/01/ricky_gervais_will_cameo_on_am.html]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'll have to watch it again for the first time in years.

Did they ever get over all the stupid romance sub-plots?

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Lieberstein says "we didn't even tell NBC at first. So [Ricky] worked for free. But don't print that -- it might get him in trouble with the INS."
That's some good comedy right there...

Am I the only person in the world who still doesn't like, either version of, the office? Ricky Gervais can be funny but he can also be really shit.

Taospark

Dec 4, 2009
Too bad it's just a short scene but still a nice little nod from both shows to the audience.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Probably won't watch it as I haven't seen the British Office yet and watching the American Office before I have watched the British Office properly would be the tv viewing version of blasphemy.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Amethyst Wind said:
Great. He'll have a chance to show a whole new audience just how unfunny he is.
Sounds like someone's a fatty.

OT: This is going to be wonderful. I haven't really followed The Office in a while, but this will be one I'm marking my calendar for.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
Amethyst Wind said:
Aw come on, man. Are you just butthurt from the awards or have you never seen movies like Ghost Town?

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I don't find the UK version of the Office entertaining at all, but Ricky Gervais himself is tolerable in very small doses. Might have to check it out.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
The scene was actually filmed back in September, and, according to Vulture, Lieberstein says "we didn't even tell NBC at first. So [Ricky] worked for free. But don't print that -- it might get him in trouble with the INS."
Oops? News flash for you, Lieberstein: If you don't want it printed, don't say it.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
cairocat said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Aw come on, man. Are you just butthurt from the awards or have you never seen movies like Ghost Town?
The Office, Extras, Ghost Town, The Invention of Lying, any of his panel show/comedy quiz show appearances and his early standup. Not to mention he's a huge tool in real life.

Dec 14, 2009
cairocat said:
Amethyst Wind said:
As far as British comedians go, he's terrible. He's a like a shit version of Frankie Boyle.

Sindre1

Nov 8, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
The scene was actually filmed back in September, and, according to Vulture, Lieberstein says "we didn't even tell NBC at first. So [Ricky] worked for free. But don't print that -- it might get him in trouble with the INS."
Oops? News flash for you, Lieberstein: If you don't want it printed, don't say it.
Pretty sure it was a joke :p

I did SO see this coming.
It is the only logical thing to do.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
The title definitely is suggesting that he was replacing Carell. Ms. Grunewald, why must you Escapist types torture us with misleading headlines?

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
And now we know... and knowing ruined the surprise! is half the battle!