CCP Extends Free-Play Offer For EVE Expansion

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010

Now that the latest EVE Online expansion is finally out, CCP is extending the length of a free-play offer to players with expired accounts.

EVE Online's "Incursion" expansion saw a problematic launch back in November. Because it wasn't ready at the proposed time of release and players didn't want see an unfinished or rushed product, CCP ended up staggering the expansion to put out finished portions immediately and delaying the incomplete areas. The final portion was released yesterday, and the publisher is extending a free-play offer that it initially offered when the expansion first started to launch.

Back when "Incursion" was set to launch in one fell swoop, CCP sent a five-day free reactivation offer to thousands of expired EVE accounts. The offer was intended to let players return to the game in order to to experience the expansion, but these players who took advantage of the offer didn't get the full "Incursion" experience. As a result, CCP has extended the offer until January 31st on over 5,000 of these promotional accounts, so that returning players can take part in the upcoming live events and invasions.

CCP seems like it's devoted to making its players happy, judging from this explanation about the offer extension: "This is a one-time thing. It seemed really unfair to me we'd sell that content in an offer then move part of it within a week like that, thus not honoring what we sold someone on. The goal is to actually honor the offer we made, in writing, to these people."

Source: Massively

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
is there more to do then just the 3 things there were way back? I mean mining, fighting pirates, or transporting?

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
There's exploring, wormholes, deadspace, salvaging wrecks, the incursion has a PvE raid aspect. I've been logging on periodically to update skills, I'm probably not gonna keep paying though, I just know I'm gonna come back sooner or later and want good skills.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I thought about trying to log on and see about checking out what's new, but they're rather draconian about logging on from a different IP address (it's been awhile) and I guess I can't remember how to spell my toon's name correctly, or something, as they ask you for one of the character names on the account. So even though I've reset my password, I can't even get on to the site to renew my account. Their loss.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Psst, Mike... it's "one fell swoop", not "one foul swoop". Just sayin'.

CCP is pretty good about this sort of thing, really. They want their players to enjoy the game, and if I had the sort of spare time the game requires, I might even renew my account.

mattaui said:
I thought about trying to log on and see about checking out what's new, but they're rather draconian about logging on from a different IP address (it's been awhile) and I guess I can't remember how to spell my toon's name correctly, or something, as they ask you for one of the character names on the account. So even though I've reset my password, I can't even get on to the site to renew my account. Their loss.
I don't imagine they do it just to be a pain. Account theft is probably a serious issue in a game where in-game items can have real-world cash value.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
vansau said:

Now that the latest EVE Online expansion is finally out, CCP is extending the length of a free-play offer to players with expired accounts.

EVE Online's "Incursion" expansion saw a problematic launch back in November. Because it wasn't ready at the proposed time of release and players didn't want see an unfinished or rushed product, CCP ended up staggering the expansion to put out finished portions immediately and delaying the incomplete areas. The final portion was released yesterday, and the publisher is extending a free-play offer that it initially offered when the expansion first started to launch.

Back when "Incursion" was set to launch in one foul swoop, CCP sent a five-day free reactivation offer to thousands of expired EVE accounts. The offer was intended to let players return to the game in order to to experience the expansion, but these players who took advantage of the offer didn't get the full "Incursion" experience. As a result, CCP has extended the offer until January 31st on over 5,000 of these promotional accounts, so that returning players can take part in the upcoming live events and invasions.

CCP seems like it's devoted to making its players happy, judging from this explanation about the offer extension: "This is a one-time thing. It seemed really unfair to me we'd sell that content in an offer then move part of it within a week like that, thus not honoring what we sold someone on. The goal is to actually honor the offer we made, in writing, to these people."

Source: Massively

"Foul swoop"?

fell != foul

I understand that this use of "fell" is pretty uncommon outside of the saying "fell swoop", but it really doesn't mean quite the same thing as "foul" and when you break the idiom by using the wrong word, it sounds like some sort of awkward criticism of EVE.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
What if some of those people were just done playing the game? I'd be pissed to keep getting crap from them

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
I played EVE For a while, ending just a few weeks before the first step of Incursion. I also played for a couple months around 3 years ago. Its still not a game that I can play lightly, or for a long time. Though, Incursion does look like a pretty cool expansion.

vansau said:
Back when "Incursion" was set to launch in one foul swoop,
One fell swoop, not foul.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
If this was in Gaming Discussion, not the News Room, I'd report the OP, because it looks like an ad.

I used to play EVE not so long ago but I've been dormant for over a year. I've been getting quite a few of these reactivation offers from CCP, where they throw in a carrot or two like extra game time or a free ship or something if you renew your account. I won't be renewing though - not yet. The reason why I quit was because Walking In Stations (promised in 2008) was being eternally delayed, and it's not present in this patch either, so I'll wait until that patch does arrive, and when it does they'll probably throw in another bribe to make me sign up and then I'll collect my freebies and a reactivation in one fell swoop.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
BonsaiK said:
I won't be renewing though - not yet. The reason why I quit was because Walking In Stations (promised in 2008) was being eternally delayed, and it's not present in this patch either, so I'll wait until that patch does arrive, and when it does they'll probably throw in another bribe to make me sign up and then I'll collect my freebies and a reactivation in one fell swoop.
It's not worth waiting for. Station-walking is never gonna happen in EVE Online. That's for the "other" EVE Online that's coming out on the consoles. So you're wasting precious training time.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Cid SilverWing said:
BonsaiK said:
I won't be renewing though - not yet. The reason why I quit was because Walking In Stations (promised in 2008) was being eternally delayed, and it's not present in this patch either, so I'll wait until that patch does arrive, and when it does they'll probably throw in another bribe to make me sign up and then I'll collect my freebies and a reactivation in one fell swoop.
It's not worth waiting for. Station-walking is never gonna happen in EVE Online. That's for the "other" EVE Online that's coming out on the consoles. So you're wasting precious training time.
I'm not wasting any time because I'm not playing the game.

Also you're confusing Incarta (the forever-delayed Walking In Stations expansion, I'm pretty sure Incarta is what they're calling it this week) with Dust 412 (the planet-based console FPS that's going to link to EVE). They're two different things.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
him i should probably use those 5 days to train a skill that takes 2 months hmm...

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Cid SilverWing said:
BonsaiK said:
Huhuh, and then what was the point in giving us brand new char models that are full bodied? I can choose several types of shoes,boots and jeans, hell i can change the calf size and arse of my guy, for what point? they will never see it? No this is the foundations for Incarna in the coming year, heck i'd be surpised if the first part ISNT out summer this year. As for the other game, thats Dust514.

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
Cid SilverWing said:
BonsaiK said:
Actually according to their launch plans, Incarta (walking in stations) is the next expansion to be released. This recent update implemented the carbon system which is what is used for the station realm. There is also videos online of Fanfest showing off the in station stuff last year.

It is well on it's way, and from the looks of what they have shown is going to be a pretty awesome update. I was worried it would take away from the game, but they are giving it the proper attention and making an awesome item with it.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
DTWolfwood said:
him i should probably use those 5 days to train a skill that takes 2 months hmm...
They did away with learning skills, reimbursed players that had trained them (skill points you can buy other skills with), and gave every character +10 stats to supliment the loss of learning skills. The result is you training in what you want to do all the time. Fun increased. But things are much faster now too! :D

I had a hiatus from eve for school, and made a trial account over break to get my chops back. I made a pretty deadly Rifter pilot in days. :3

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Firia said:
DTWolfwood said:
They did away with learning skills, reimbursed players that had trained them (skill points you can buy other skills with), and gave every character +10 stats to supliment the loss of learning skills. The result is you training in what you want to do all the time. Fun increased. But things are much faster now too! :D

I had a hiatus from eve for school, and made a trial account over break to get my chops back. I made a pretty deadly Rifter pilot in days. :3
tier 2 BC to lvl 5 should take 2 months ^^

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
tier 2 BC to lvl 5 should take 2 months ^^
Lvl4 Implants would shave half that :p

And anyway back to the topic, If i reacall This expanstion isnt finished yet, we still have the Incursion's to start, and that wont be for another week going from the blogs.

Saying that it is a good time to get started (or again) so people can get used to at least Highsec, then fighting in Lowsec against Those Bloodly CyberZombies

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Thanks for the note, everyone. That was a hell of a blunder. It's corrected now.

SarahKH

Feb 21, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
Ghost training was killed off a long long time ago. You'll train 5 days of that 2 month skill and then shut down.