Street Fighter Producer Itching for Capcom vs. Nintendo

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Street Fighter Producer Itching for Capcom vs. Nintendo

If Yoshinori Ono has his way, Ryu and Mario might engage in an official fireball duel someday.

When you think about it, the characters from Street Fighter and Nintendo's first-party games aren't all that different. Both shoot fireballs, electrocute each other, and enjoy boxing. At a recent 3DS event, producer of Super Street Fighter IV [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Street-Fighter-IV-Playstation-3/dp/B002TDIEEK] Yoshinori Ono expressed an interest in putting the two in a ring to find out who's best.

When discussing Super Smash Bros. [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Street-Fighter-IV-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B002I0IVC4] director Masahiro Sakurai.

Now that Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition is a launch title for the Nintendo 3DS, maybe a Nintendo crossover game isn't that far-fetched. Nintendo already has its own characters battling each other in Smash Bros., so why not cash in on the Capcom Vs. craze and give every fighting game and Nintendo fan what they want?

The perfect rivalries are already there. Ryu vs. Mario. Ken vs. Luigi. Pikachu vs. Blanka. Balrog vs. the Game & Watch [http://www.amazon.com/Punch-Out-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B001TOQ8K2/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295623455&sr=1-1].

These are all Street Fighter characters, but I think Street Fighter vs. Nintendo would make for a great title even without the rest of Capcom's roster. Capcom came out big with its support of the 3DS from the get-go, so I wouldn't count out a concept like Capcom vs. Nintendo even though it sounds like a game made by unicorn wizards in Awesomeland.

Source: Cubed3 [http://www.cubed3.com/news/15105]

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
Umm shouldn't it be Capcom Vs Super Smash Bros? That would make more sense since Nintendo would most likely prefer the Super Smash Bros format over the Street Fighter format. It'd prefer a Street Fighter style game myself but Nintendo would want simplicity over that so everyone can play. I know if it ever comes to be regardless of which fighting style is used, I'll buy it. Anything to see a Megaman X Vs Samus match and if they use the Super Smash Bros style, a Final Smash attack with X that has him change to the special armor and launch a big ass X Buster shot.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
It would be Nintendo-console specific.
WHAT? A game featuring Nintendo characters would be exclusive to a Nintendo console? Get out of here. Really? You sure it couldn't come out on the PS3? :p

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
For future reference, the Punch-Out guy is named Little Mac!

ultimasupersaiyan said:
Umm shouldn't it be Capcom Vs Super Smash Bros? That would make more sense since Nintendo would most likely prefer the Super Smash Bros format over the Street Fighter format. It'd prefer a Street Fighter style game myself but Nintendo would want simplicity over that so everyone can play. I know if it ever comes to be regardless of which fighting style is used, I'll buy it. Anything to see a Megaman X Vs Samus match and if they use the Super Smash Bros style, a Final Smash attack with X that has him change to the special armor and launch a big ass X Buster shot.
Nintendo think Super Smash Bros is simple? I found it a helluva lot more complicated than any other fighting game I've played.

I'd agree that the Street Fighter format would be better though. And funnier to see.

KuwaSanjuro

Dec 22, 2010
JourneyThroughHell said:

Therefore, not interested. The concept is good, though.
Uhhhhhh crap you're right, everyone pack up there's no point. Though Tatsunoko vs Capcom was meant to be good. Ugh who cares.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I... I approve of this mutation.

This should happen. Now.

EDIT: On second thought, I hate to see the Smash Bros "tournament" weirdos muck this one up:

"NO ITEMS! DAN ONLY! FINAL DESTINATION!"

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
BrunDeign said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
WHAT? A game featuring Nintendo characters would be exclusive to a Nintendo console? Get out of here. Really? You sure it couldn't come out on the PS3? :p
Your sarcasm is misaddressed. I was simply giving a reason why I had no interest in the possible projects. The post was obviously not made to explain trivial stuff.

Tr3mbl3Tr3mbl3

Mar 11, 2010
That would be a way better mash-up than Tatsunoko vs. Capcom because at least the other 90% of the world would know who half the roster is.

I wouldn't mind seeing a triple mash-up fighting title, or even quadruple. Marvel vs. Capcom vs. Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe vs. Tekken vs. Soul Calibur vs. Nintendo. It'd be awesome, with teams of Captain America, Solid Snake, and Nightmare going up against Deadpool, Green Lanturn, and Darth Vader.

He was in SCIV.

Oct 14, 2010
a) Sakurai likes to do awesome things.
b) Capcom vs. Nintendo would be an awesome thing.
c) ?

Really, I look at Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and, while Marvel's side is cool, the Capcom characters are what I'm really excited over. Those that exist outside of Street Fighter would be especially good fits against Nintendo characters (remember when everyone wanted Mega Man in brawl?).

I love the legacy behind both companies (although Capcom's most recent escapade with their mobile division is a black eye). I think a fighting game leaning toward Smash Bros. and filled with troves of historic trivia would be awesome.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
I approve, but only as long as I can use an ace attorney. I want the lols. Also, I want Wesker in it so I can beat him up in another game.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That sound awesome. Wait who would be the rival to Peach? Chun Li, Cammy or Sakura?

Bobipine

Jan 22, 2010
So another fighting game one of my friends might want to play with me(Assuming that would keep the smash bros. formula)?

Count me in, not sure which side I'd use more though, probably Ness if they don't cut him out...
I don't see exactly why the big N wouldn't want to try this, easily sell able thing I think. Though I'm curious about which visual style they'd hop for.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Considering Capcoms history on crossover fighters [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CapcomVsWhatever] i wouldnt be surprised to see Nintendo Vs Capcom at some point.