The Walking Dead Videogame Probably in the Works Already

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
The Walking Dead Videogame Probably in the Works Already

A very strong hint from Telltale Games indicates that a Walking Dead videogame is in production.

Telltale Games' videogame conversions of The Walking Dead [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105832-Trailer-Telltales-Back-to-the-Future-is-Just-Like-the-Real-Thing].

The Walking Dead is a popular even more popular [http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Compendium-One/dp/1607060760/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295627958&sr=1-1] AMC television show. It follows ex-police officer Rick Grimes during the zombie apocalypse, but makes an attempt to focus more on its human characters than the zombies.

1up divulges that Telltale Games says it'll be announcing 5 new multi-platform projects at the San Francisco event. One of these projects is "based on a just-launched property from the TV and comic book world whose popularity is changing life as some know it."

There are no other extremely popular, just-launched comic book-to-television conversions that I'm aware of, so this has to be referring to The Walking Dead. Through the recent reveal of its upcoming Jurassic Park episodic series, Telltale said it was working on a system that added more action to the adventure game genre in the style of Heavy Rain [http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Rain-Playstation-3/dp/B002CZ38KA]. Walking Dead is probably another game that requires the use of this system, because it wouldn't be a zombie videogame without some tense moments of terror. Come February 17, I'll be more surprised if Telltale doesn't announce The Walking Dead.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/walking-dead-videogame-announced]

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I'm kind of nervous about this... it could either be fantastic or terrible. Comics are great, show is great, but a game... I don't know. Let's see how this turns out.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
The amount of games these guys are regularly coming out with amazes me.

Even though I never saw the show, TellTale, you're an awesome developer with a bunch of titles that don't require much devotion yet fascinate me greatly and for that, I should probably check it out.

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
I'm glad this didn't trun out to be a shooter. Or at least i think it wont be based on telltale's track record. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my zombie shooting games. But we've got enough of them already.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
Hopefully it won't be just another shooter game w/ zombies, while that's fine, I'm getting tired of it, and it's already done.

It'd be cool to play from other chracter's perspectives, so as Rick, his wife, the man he meets in the first episode, his fellow officer, ect. Give us a Silent Hill meets Resident Evil kinda thing and I'll be happy

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Telltale, my and your were cool, then you started acting odd. We all know that amlost every game related to other medium(i mean film, television) generally suck. And now you are aquiring right to make games beased off all these things. I'm not sure how to handle this, but i'm alittle less trusting...

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
It really depends on how the game is done. I mean I like the characters, but I don't really want to have to re-refollow their antics in game form. I mean I've been a walking dead fan since before there were walking dead fans, we're talking first few issues all the way up to #80 and as much as I appreciate the rick line, If there were a game I'd want a different perspective on things. I mean they either go word for word (snooze) or they create yet another Canon for the storyline.

Which is it Shane gets killed by boy Carl in the woods for trying to shoot Rick whilst hunting? They skip the issue entirely and head out to find the CDC base and almost get blown up? or some new video game universe? I'm sure they tv show will level out with the comic books sooner or later, I'm just looking at it from trying to get a grasp of the universe point of view.

I think maybe the best way to make a walking dead game would to be with different characters all together, or place it way ahead of the main story or else people who've read the books will have a good gist of what's a head and the tv newcomers will get stuff spoiled or hinted too way to early in the series.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
For the love of god don't let it be The Walking Dead: "Play the Show"

I hate that.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, I'd be concerned, it seems easy money 'popular show _ zombies' equals easy knock off game guaranteed to sell loads.

However, as I keep trying to explain, despite the look of the thing, once you actually get into the show, the zombies are really a minor point, you could replace them with aliens, or rabid wild animals or a creeping disease or any number of other threats to human life.

The important part of Walking dead is the people, the characters, and how they deal with being trapped tightly together in a difficult situation, when it's obvious many of them would never choose to share the same bar, never mind same sleeping quarters.

I'd suggest it's going to take a LOT of work to make this a good game, and most 'licence' game blow 90% of their budget on the rights, leaving them to reskin some old game with new characters.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
*Click... Toaster*
*Mouses over to Zombie*
"I can't use this with Zombie"

Damnit, what else do I have?

theonlyblaze2

Aug 20, 2010
The game will probably be based on the crappy show or, like XT inc said, it could be from a new characters perspective. Or multiple characters. I would love to see what Tyrese had to go through before meeting the group. Cause, you know, the show won't because they apparently forgot about the best character.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
Ghengis John said:
*Click... Toaster*
*Mouses over to Zombie*

*You Bash Zombie with Toaster*
*Zombie is hurt*
*Zombie is hurt*
*You Bash Zombie (CRITICAL) with Toaster*
*Zombie is Dead!*
"I did it!"

As for the thread, I'm nervous about this title, but if they're making it Heavy Rain style instead of a shooter like the thread talks about, then I'm a breathing a lot more calmly and might continue to check on the progress.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Diamondback One said:
Ghengis John said:
*Click... Toaster*
*Mouses over to Zombie*

*Zombie is hurt*
*Zombie is hurt*