Construction Paper Tells Half-Life 2's Entire Tale

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Construction Paper Tells Half-Life 2's Entire Tale

The best videogame synopses are always made out of construction paper.

**Spoiler Warning** This post basically spoils the story of Half-Life 2. Go play it already.

Construction paper animation has this appeal that I just can't explain. In the past we've seen it used to tell the story of the Half-Life 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104109-Construction-Paper-Animation-Explains-Star-Wars-in-Minutes]. With paper.

The video tells the entire Half-Life 2 tale, from the point where the player first gets off the train to the big explosion at the end. The characters are all made of rectangles, but these rectangles bleed just as red as real people.

It takes a few liberties with Half-Life 2, including making Alyx a ninja, adding in a Pac-Man ghost, and featuring a Thriller interlude. This is all just part of the animation's charm. There's something about the Gordon Freeman-like silence of the whole thing contrasted with the various deaths of paper characters that makes it really enjoyable.

If Paper Half-Life 2 looks familiar, it's because Remus2008 did the same thing in 2009 for the original Half-Life. The Half-Life 2 version is a major upgrade, but here's the previous animation clip for anyone that hasn't seen it.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Wow that was really well done x3 I'll have to search for more like this.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
That was absolutely awesome, props the guy who made it, must have taken quite some time.

I really liked the small additions, like the Pac-Man ghost and the Thriller zombies. Very enjoyable.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Holy balls. That is awesome. So much dedication..

I wanna go play Half Life 2 again now...

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I think i just saw it about a day ago, but that doesn't make it any less awesome. It was quite cute, too.

Loved Dr. Freeman's reaction to the hoverboat-thingy.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I got a little bit lazy when attempting to finish HL 2 a second time, so I guess that will be a good replacement. Really well done video. Love the scene where Gordon and the priest are watching the zombies dancing in the graveyard.

Captcha: Can't they bother to make their words more readable, I don't exactly have a good sight.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Bonus points for the "Don't be a twat" sign on the wall. Heh, this is even more awesome second time round....

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Cool, but to me the ultimate HL2 story is and will always be HALF LIFE IN 60 SECONDS.
[youtube]v=slRsexrhbG8[/youtube]

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
That was brilliant. I wonder how random it might seem to someone who never played the game, but it all makes sense. Well, most of it.