Evony Saves Gamer's Life, Sort Of

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Evony Saves Gamer's Life, Sort Of

A muscular dystrophy sufferer used Evony [http://www.evony.com/] to call for help after a fire started in his house and he couldn't reach a telephone.

Muscular dystrophy limits the mobility 51-year-old Robert Chambers of Spokane, Washington, so when smoke from a burning toaster began pouring into his living room while his wife was out taking their grandchildren to school, he couldn't get to the telephone to call for help. Fortunately, his laptop was within reach, so he sought assistance in the chat room for his favorite game, the infamous Evony.

Evony, you may recall, is the game with the ads with the dodgy business practices and shady partnerships [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93534-Plants-vs-Zombies-Pokes-Fun-At-Cleavage-Filled-Evony-Ads]. But for Chambers, it was a lifesaver.

"Help me," he typed on his specially-modified laptop. "My house is on fire and a can't get out." Fortunately it didn't turn into a "pics or it didn't happen" moment; players in Texas and Indiana called 911 and in short order the Spokane fire department showed up and carried Chambers to safety. The fire was contained to the toaster, although Assistant Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer said the matter could have become much more serious if the department hadn't been notified so quickly.

"I did what I tell everyone not to do, and that's put your address on the Internet," Chambers said.

Chambers' Evony escapade may have done more than simply save him from a potentially deadly house fire. It could also buy him some slack, at least for a little while, from his wife, who is no fan of the game. "I hated this game because he doesn't pay attention to me or anything else in the house," she said. "Now I've got to bite my tongue because it saved his life quite possibly."

Source: The Spokesman-Review

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
My dad is an at-home nurse for muscular dystrophy patients...It's a horrid thing that doesn't get the attention it deserves. I'm guessing he had no such nurse...

Evony's community really did save his life.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I can only imagine if he had said this on WoW , he probably wouldn't be alive to tell the tale. But nice of the Evony players to actually do something.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Very interesting! Evony is now officially more useful than farmville, and has had less people killed over it.

It does make me wonder what was in the toaster causing it to burn when nobody else was in the house, though.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Roboto said:
Very interesting! Evony is now officially more useful than farmville, and has had less people killed over it.
Maybe Evony is like packs of wolves and only ever kills when it can be certain to get away with it.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
HAHAhA and the wife wants to complain that he is not paying attention to he and instead plays evony.

Doesn't muscular dystrophy mean you can 'pay attention'? Would have thought she would have not even brought up his addiction.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
I think I read in a review that you have to pay for the chat in Evony, he could have been quite unlucky if he didn't pay to play evony.

Feb 13, 2008
There's a few people I know who play Evony, and after my usual rant against them, they pointed out to me that it was a place where they'd made a lot of friends. Tough call.

Still a dodgy load of scumbags running it though.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
Good news from the internet.

For once both the drama was real and people believed it enough to respond. Unfortunately most people have been trained by all the fake drama on the internet to ignore or mock those whose desperate need to be the center of attention leads them to constantly make up drama. Luckily for this guy there were people who are not so jaded listening when he needed it.

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
I actually thought evony was a virus website, with the advertising via boobs n all. Guess not

This game requires further research

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Yay, they weren't dicks about it! Good to see he pulled through, props to the guy who called 911.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
manythings said:
Roboto said:
Maybe Evony is like packs of wolves and only ever kills when it can be certain to get away with it.
Wolves...with very nice breasts.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
wow, im glad people actually took him seriously, i know i probably wouldnt have, not unless i knew him as a guildmate or something

jacx

Feb 20, 2010
his case must not be severe if you can say that about a dibilitating disease. Many people who suffer frm the affliction dont live past thier 20s. on another note yay gamers arnt the complete ass holes they pretend to be on the internet woooo -_-