Non-Americans Can Like Homefront, Too

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Non-Americans Can Like Homefront, Too

Homefront may be about an occupied and conquered United States of America, but the creative director of the game thinks that its themes and values are universal.

In a world flooded with brown-colored modern military multiplayer shooters like Call of Duty and Medal of Honor, Kaos Studios' Homefront stands out thanks to an unusual premise: By the year 2026, natural and economic catastrophes have left the United States of America a pale shadow of its former superpower self. In contrast, shrewd maneuvering by Kim Jong-un, the son of current North Korean dictator Kim Jong-il, means that the isolated totalitarian state undergoes a resurgence, conquering much of eastern Asia and forming the Greater Korean Republic - think Japan, circa World War II. A devastating EMP blast takes out the American infrastructure, and the Koreans invade and occupy, scattering the US military.

"One of our canons that we built the game world around is that 'the familiar has become alien,'" the game's creative director Dave Votypka told The Escapist at a recent Red Dawn [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/8573-Hands-On-Homefront-Multiplayer]. "These main streets where there are these small, peaceful, little American bakeries and shops ... but there's Russian soldiers and tanks and barbed wire there, too. And it's like 'Wow, there's something wrong with that picture.'" It was a powerful image and concept, said Votypka, and one around which development started.

North Korea only became the antagonist later down the line in the game's development, thanks to its very public anti-Western stance and occasionally belligerent nature. "[It's] not really a brush that we're painting them with that they haven't already painted themselves with," said Votykpa. "[That's] the springboard for, 'okay, so what if this regime - who clearly has the motivation - so what if they actually also had the way?'"

However, given the game's speculative fiction nature - rather than being grounded in a real-world conflict - he doesn't think that Homefront will suffer from the same public backlash that faced games like Six Days in Fallujah [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103941-EA-Cuts-Taliban-From-Medal-of-Honor]. "Ours is almost 20 years in the future, and there's not a current war going on with Americans' - or other nations' - sons and daughters in the military being killed in that war fighting a current-day enemy ... it's speculative fiction, and it's saying: based on the regime today, here's a storyline that we crafted on how they evolve. It's not like you have your brother off in Afghanistan fighting and we're telling you a story about that, it's a fictional story trying to look into the future."

Even though the game is set in America and stars Americans as the protagonists, Votypka thinks that audiences outside of America will still be able to empathize with the situation at hand. It isn't so much that much of the world is familiar with the USA thanks to movies and television (though that certainly helps), as it is the themes that Homefront embodies, which Kaos thinks are universal.

"Homefront is really less about America per se, and it's more about defending your homeland, your living room, the place you sleep, your family, things that are dear to you. And that's what the sort of Homefront name really applies to, that it could happen in France - in Paris, London, Beijing or whatever. Any country is applicable, it's about defending something that you care about and that's dear to you."

Kaos wants to make a game that shies away from the clean, high-tech battlefields of other shooters, which is why the Homefront character is a civilian. "What we're doing is - we're fighting as a resistance soldier instead of using a super soldier, a modern military guy with very little emotion, where you're a cold trained killer and you've got a bunch of other cold trained killers with tanks and helicopters and all the weapons that you'd want."

"In this, you're a civilian who's being oppressed, who has turned freedom fighter and you're doing whatever you can to fight for something that you care about - your home, as opposed to being told by a general, 'go take this country' and not really having any associations or connections." It's this take on the human side of warfare - and the things worth fighting for - that Votypka and Kaos hope will strike a chord with gamers. "I think there's a lot of the resistance side - the guerrilla resistance feel - and the emotional storytelling and human cost of war, that you don't really see portrayed in, really, any other shooter I can think of."

Homefront is out everywhere early March for PC, Xbox 360, and PS3.

Feb 13, 2008
but the creative director of the game thinks that its themes and values are universal.
It really would have helped if you'd picked a slightly less controversial and slightly more believable scenario. Like Episode 3 coming out on time.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The_root_of_all_evil said:
but the creative director of the game thinks that its themes and values are universal.
It really would have helped if you'd picked a slightly less controversial and slightly more believable scenario. Like Episode 3 coming out on time.
After playing the game, I actually really don't have a problem with the scenario. They present it well, and as he says in the piece, it's completely speculative fiction.

And I'm becoming increasingly convinced that people don't actually read our news posts beyond the headline and the teaser.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
American soldier: "OH my god, those North Korean bastards killed Carson Daly!"

Me: "Oh... yeah, that, guy... girl... err, who? Friends, I know the cast of Friends, that show was on repeat in UK for the best part of 2 decades, did the Koreans kill any of them?"

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
Why is it always America that gets invaded by the Russians/Chinese and now North Koreans? Europe getting invaded is a far more plausible scenario, what with us all living practically next door to Vladimir Psycho's Russia and all.

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
John Funk said:
After playing the game, I actually really don't have a problem with the scenario. They present it well, and as he says in the piece, it's completely speculative fiction.

And I'm becoming increasingly convinced that people don't actually read our news posts beyond the headline and the teaser.
But it just looks so long with all those WORDS and stuff.

Homefront wasn't even on my radar before, but speculative fiction in an FPS? My interest is definitely piqued.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I don't understand. Frontlines: Fuel of War used a similar concept and I never heard of any complaint about the setting (sure I heard lots of complaints just not about the setting). Why is this one so different?

And what difference does it make which country you live in. I am not some medievil knight living under the constant threat of a dragon attack but I can still enjoy games in that setting.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
HankMan said:
Of course non-Americans will like Homefront. America taken down by North Korea? They'll be laughing at us all the way to the end credits.
Aw, you beat me to it.

But yeah, I imagine lots of people cheering on the North Koreans, especially if the standard media depiction of American heroes pops up.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
HankMan said:
I do! I'm probably gunna get this game anyway. But the premise IS pretty retarded.
The Half-Life series is about a mute, bespectacled genius with a legendary crowbar that's more epic than... Anything ever, and it follows his time travelin' adventures and alien slaying, and yet it's one of the best FPS series around.

Bad/"retarded" plots do not make a bad game.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Why are occupations only bad when they happen to us?

I wonder if the Iraqis and Afghanis feel the way this game is supposed to make us feel. If they wanted the game to create an emotional reaction, they'd have set the game there instead of some ridiculous Red Dawn universe.

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
HankMan said:
John Funk said:

I do! I'm probably gunna get this game anyway. But the premise IS pretty retarded. Forgoing the idea that North Korea could EVER come up with a working EMP, HOW the hell are they even going to GET HERE? Let alone find enough troops to occupy HALF the United States?
I saw in Pre-realease footage that North Korea were annexing many countrys, Steam-rolling its way to America, Countrys near America could of been Occupied.

hem dazon 90

Aug 12, 2008
I don't get why people are so hung up on the US being pwnt by North Korea. Its fiction, just roll with it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
megs1120 said:
Why are occupations only bad when they happen to us? I wonder if the Iraqis and Afghanis feel the way this game is supposed to make us feel.
Ah, but they were liberated, not conquered big difference. If they had been conquered, the wouldn't have put Taliban supporters back in charge in Afghanistan, and not passed laws so that men can starve their wives to death if they resist being raped.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
John Funk said:

lol, its the second time I see you defend the game's scenario, I believe that not all people read everything. Keep up the good work

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Then, if this is merely speculative fiction, why not opt for a different speculative story that paints the US as antagonists for a change as opposed to the always good-guy protagonists that defend all that is right and true?

Oh wait...that's right. That wouldn't sell as well to western audiences, now would it? *sigh*

I can't speak as to the story itself since I haven't played this game nor have I seen any of its points. But that doesn't mean that its outset premise is still filled with something I've grown to expect really, nor is it all that innovative with its premise either (For one IO's Freedom Fighters have already done it once before). So sure...maybe the story was pulled off in a better way, I wouldn't know.

But don't try to fool yourself by saying that the premise isn't rooted in perceptions and bias that is fuelled by western media. I am quite certain that if a game of 'speculative fiction' would ever be released, where the world would have to fight off the US from an attempt to control the world (hardly that much of a stretch given how active it has been recently abroad militarily and covertly), it would never be as well-recieved or acclaimed by most critics and audiences - even if its story was executed well enough. Heck, the fact that no game with such a premise has even come into popular knowledge speaks for itself

You can make a good thing out of anything, true. And who knows, I as a Non-American might genuinely like this game if it is done well story-wise. But the premises will *always* remain the same and will always be rooted in the same underlying bias as usual. The west is the best and anyone who opposes us isn't.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
John Funk said:

But they're so well written, why would someone not read them?

Are people that lazy?

Anyway, whether NK could do it isn't even the point. China's economy is too tied to ours, Russia hasn't been it's old self lately, and those are pretty much the primary countries on the "Could potentially take the US in a fight" list. Iran and a few others have the motive, but that'd be a tad too controversial.

And twenty years in the future NK could be doing a lot better than this. Maybe.

Regardless, the point is about the US (or according to the dev, your homeland) being invaded.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
megs1120 said:
Why are occupations only bad when they happen to us?

I wonder if the Iraqis and Afghanis feel the way this game is supposed to make us feel. If they wanted the game to create an emotional reaction, they'd have set the game there instead of some ridiculous Red Dawn universe.
I think there's probably no question that they would feel the same - "it's only bad if it happens to us" isn't the feel that I think they're going for. Isn't it understandable that the developers and creators (who are American) would set the game in, y'know, their own country? It'd be silly to, say, criticize the makers of Metro 2033 for setting the game in Russia because of that.