Homefront Devs Love Dedicated Servers

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Homefront Devs Love Dedicated Servers

Homefront will have dedicated servers for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3, and developer Kaos thinks it's just the way to go.

It's hard to imagine the sort of controversy that surrounded the announcement that Modern Warfare 2 would have the game's multiplayer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95584-No-Dedicated-Servers-for-Modern-Warfare-2-PC-Fans-Freak-Out], however, Homefront publisher THQ announced that dedicated servers were the way to go - on all platforms.

Homefront creative director Dave Votypka assured The Escapist that his studio wouldn't leave PC gamers out in the cold, either. "What we've been doing with the PC product the whole time has been to deliver PC-specific features that the community really wants," like dedicated servers, clan tools and probably moddable tools as well. "Some PC gamers have been a bit neglected - or felt a bit neglected - over the last 5 or 10 years with the consoles really rising up, and we come from that heritage."

"We know what they're looking for - the clan players, the tournament players, and the PC developers ... we have a whole PC game catered to the PC community and we'll be announcing more details pretty soon."

Meanwhile, senior designer Brian Holinka told Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/21/homefront-dev-explains-the-importance-of-dedicated-servers/] why dedicated servers were important, even on consoles.

[blockquote]You have to think about your constraints when you're making a game. If we host a server on a console, all of a sudden, that console is both server and it's playing the game. That really lowers everything: player count, the number of vehicles, everything. Dedicated servers allow us to offload all that work and basically all the client has to worry about is running the game.[/blockquote]

As a result, said Holinka, the game could support 16-on-16 matches with every player able to summon vehicles, air strikes, and the like. Check our coverage of the Homefront multiplayer event here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/8573-Hands-On-Homefront-Multiplayer]!

Sexbad

Mar 31, 2010
I played some Frontlines, and I didn't really enjoy it, but considering there's not going to be much consolization in this one either and it's been like four years it could be a really enjoyable game.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Before Modern Warefare 2 this wouldn't be newsworthy at all >_>

Even all these games that feature "Dedicated servers! Yey!" tend to be more and more rudimentary.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Dedicated Servers WOOHOO! Definitely worth a rent, I might even buy this game!

Also, is it bad for me to want more players?

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
green_dude said:
Step back in the right direction. Hopefully the game doesn't bomb and scare other devs away from dedicated servers.
What? games like Starcraft 2, Heros of Newearth, and a ton more uses dedicated servers on PC.
Most PC only developer are using it all the way.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Kalezian said:
really? 16 vs. 16 on dedicated server?

OH WOW, THAT IS SO AWESOME, I mean really I would never think that this day in age we could have 16 people versus another 16 people.

I guess I will have to take my disbelief to the servers I usually visit and tell everyone while playing 30 vs. 30 warfare!

seriously, even Black Hawk Down for the XBox had 50 vs 50, must be really pushing the envelope with this game.
Black Hawk Down? Uh... From what I googled, you mean Delta Force: Black Hawk Down? No where does it say 50 vs 50...

Nueemann

Jul 14, 2010
I was already going to rent this. I guess this is another reason.

Kudos to Kaos and THQ for not being idiots with their game.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
If they can deliver their promises, power to them. It's also nice to see developers realizing that the PC gaming community is one of the most creative and neglected communities around.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Let's wait until we get to see the whole deal. Black Ops was also supposed to have dedicated servers and in the end you had to rent a server with Activision's exclusive partner.