Square-Enix Reveals Nier Details

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Square-Enix Reveals Nier Details

Square-Enix has revealed the first substantial information concerning Nier, a third-person action game in which you take on the role of a vengeful father seeking the cure for a mysterious disease that has infected his daughter.

Last week Square-Enix announced Nier [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92062-Square-Enix-Announces-New-Front-Mission-Nier], revealing an action game that sounds a bit like God of War but with as much of an aim to depress you as to make you feel like a badass warrior. And yeah, you fight with books.

In Nier, you play as a warrior (named Nier) who's searching for a cure to the Black Scrawl virus, a mysterious disease which has infected Nier's daughter. Naturally, the best way to find a cure for a virus is to kill whoever gets in your way, so Nier goes off with his giant sword and magical floating book to "explore hauntingly familiar lands" and "a world plagued by human anguish, buried secrets and a ravaging disease." Sounds pretty grim.

Gameplay will find Nier using "a combination of chain attacks and crushing magic abilities," the latter of which he can unlock as you progress through the game, along with new weapons and such (hopefully more books). There are also "cinematic event scenes," which may be another way of saying "quick-time events."

Cavia, the developers of Nier, are best known in the West for making Bullet Witch, a relatively ho-hum action-shooter. Will working for such a big-time publisher entice them to create something a bit more interesting? We'll see.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Anyone remember the WoW April 1st announcement?

At least you aren't trying to kill the devil as a teenage boy this time, unless the disease IS the devil, which makes absolutely no sense and is par for the course for things from Squeenix.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
randommaster said:
At least you aren't trying to kill the devil as a teenage boy this time, unless the disease IS the devil, which makes absolutely no sense and is par for the course for things from Squeenix.
I have no idea what you are talking about. Please clarify what game you are speaking of.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Mstrswrd said:
randommaster said:
I have no idea what you are talking about. Please clarify what game you are speaking of.
Every RPG that Squeenix makes, you are a teenage boy off to save the world by going and killing the game's version of the devil (last boss) to save the world.

Neir doesn't seem to be doing that, but it might.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
randommaster said:
Mstrswrd said:
randommaster said:
Every RPG that Squeenix makes, you are a teenage boy off to save the world by going and killing the game's version of the devil (last boss) to save the world.

Ahh, okay. It was just when you said "devil," I grew confused, because my mind jumps to various games by Atlus, and not the usually pseudo-Judeo(SP?)-Christian imagery Square is fond of using in every game they have made ever (well, okay, maybe a few don't have it).

As for Nier doing that or not, well, at least he's not a teen (from what we can tell).

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Hmmm... I'll be keeping an eye on this one. I mean, fighting with a magic book? That's pretty freakin' sweet.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Mstrswrd said:
randommaster said:
Mstrswrd said:
randommaster said:

Ahh, okay. It was just when you said "devil," I grew confused, because my mind jumps to various games by Atlus, and not the usually pseudo-Judeo(SP?)-Christian imagery Square is fond of using in every game they have made ever (well, okay, maybe a few don't have it).

As for Nier doing that or not, well, at least he's not a teen (from what we can tell).
Or maybe he is, and he just has to take care of a child because he didn't have any condoms.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
ThaBenMan said:
Hmmm... I'll be keeping an eye on this one. I mean, fighting with a magic book? That's pretty freakin' sweet.
Agreed, I think I might look into this game.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Screw you, reading! I've gottsted mah' vidya games!~

Oh, dear... The media's gonna have a feild day with this.