Documentarians Aim to Expose the Truth Behind Minecraft

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Documentarians Aim to Expose the Truth Behind Minecraft

2 Player Productions has revealed that Mojang Specifications, the company behind indie hit Minecraft, is the subject of its next film.

Ever wanted to know exactly how cake and ghasts [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104626-Minecrafts-Deadly-New-Ghasts-Will-Burn-You] make their way into Mojang Specifications' Minecraft? 2 Player Productions will reveal all in an upcoming documentary that goes behind the scenes of the studio currently working on creating the final version of Marcus "Notch" Persson's indie sensation.

2 Player Productions is known for its work on documentaries such as surprisingly massive [http://www.2playerproductions.com/projects/rtp] sales of a game that isn't even finished yet.

Early images released by 2PP show Mojang in its offices giggling around their computers and staring intently at unknown objects in the distance. Persson himself is even shown riding on a train, with a bag! Will the documentary reveal what's in this mystery bag? Or where Persson was traveling? We can only hope.

2PP calls the documentary an "extensive inside look" at Mojang, so maybe we'll also get to learn a little about its secret projects that aren't Minecraft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104865-Minecraft-Developer-Working-on-New-Game]. For now, 2PP says the Mojang Specifications documentary is "coming soon."

Source: Joystiq [http://www.2playerproductions.com/projects/minecraft]

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
So that's who the filming crew notch talked about a while back were.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I love when fellow game designers talk about their game, while the majority of stuff is for their players, they let out juicy bits on reasoning and design.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
HankMan said:
Sounds like Micheal Moore has run out of conspiracies!
... ey?

OT: I hope the truth is deeply disturbing and there is a part where they reveal the terrifying method behind minecraft.

May 5, 2010
I've only played the "classic" free version. I tried to buy the beta, but it asked for my social security number, and I'm just a little suspicious.

Hell, as long as I'm here, anyone know why it's asking for social security number?

EDIT: Question has been answered, thanks to anyone who replied.

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Hunde Des Krieg said:
Wow, what an important use of time and effort...
...You mean making a documentary about people working on something popular? What do you think they should make a show about?

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
I've only played the "classic" free version. I tried to buy the beta, but it asked for my social security number, and I'm just a little suspicious.

Hell, as long as I'm here, anyone know why it's asking for social security number?
It... didn't. Not for me or anyone I know. Not sure what happened in your case, sorry.

Gruchul

Aug 30, 2009
Could be interesting if they actually can get new information out of them. Let's hope they get swept up on waves of journalistic fevour and pry out a delicious nugget of news.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010

I dunno. You nearly fell for some phishers? Or you could be confusing your debit/credit card number with your social security number?

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I've been avoiding everything related to Minecraft. Maybe a documentary on its creators will be the catalyst of change.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009

LOL. that's a scam. Only buy it from Minecraft.net. It will NOT ask you for your social security number. Kudos for you for being on your toes though and not giving it out.

May 5, 2010
zehydra said:

LOL. that's a scam. Only buy it from Minecraft.net. It will NOT ask you for your social security number. Kudos for you for being on your toes though and not giving it out.
Yeah, that's the thing. I AM buying from Minecraft.net. I log in, I accept the terms, fill out the normal info, and click "pay now". Then I get redirected to some page asking for my social security number. To be fair, it LOOKS like it's actually my bank asking for it. (The logo is at the top of the page) but...You know, it's my social security number.

EDIT: OK, cool. Question answered. Thanks to anyone who replied.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
zehydra said:

Yeah, that's the thing. I AM buying from Minecraft.net. I log in, I accept the terms, fill out the normal info, and click "pay now". Then I get redirected to some page asking for my social security number. To be fair, it LOOKS like it's actually my bank asking for it. (The logo is at the top of the page) but...You know, it's my social security number.
odd... I guess it might have something to do with your paypal account?

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
zehydra said:

Call your bank and ask them. Better safe than sorry I say!

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
I'm confused. The phrase "Expose the truth behind Minecraft" leads me to believe I should be getting out my tinfoil hat, but is it just a "behind the scenes" thing?