Modder Plays Street Fighter IV on Kinect

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Modder Plays Street Fighter IV on Kinect

Those prolific Kinect hackers are at it again - and this time, they're throwing hadoukens.

I think we can all agree that no matter how we feel about Microsoft's Kinect as a gaming platform (that is, that it's not very good for gaming right now), it has been hacked into some things that are downright nifty.

The video you see here, for example, takes Microsoft's magical camera gizmo and hooks it up to Capcom's excellent Street Fighter IV. It's clearly an imperfect hack - there are times where what looks to be the same real-life gesture results in two different attacks - but punches throw punches, kicks throw kicks, and pantomiming a hadouken fireball does, well, exactly what you'd expect.

On the downside, actually playing a round of SF4 like this would probably have you sweating faster than games like DDR ever did. How would you even find the space without kicking your friend in the shins, anyway?

It looks like the hack just works with Ken and Guile for the moment. Good thing, too; I have no idea how you'd pull off Chun-Li's spinning bird kick with something like that.

(Thanks, Slycne!)

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Excuse me, but this does not appear to be the video featured here.

I don't know what this is, or why you are talking about something else around it.

Edit: ok, then

I'm glad people are making use of kinect, and that Microsoft hasn't made a big deal about the hacks (that I know of), because the resulting hacks are much more interesting and useful than the games advertised at its launch.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I say it before and I'll say it again.

The technology behind Kinect can be used for great things. Every time I see these hacks I'm always amazed.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Despite how awesome it looks (pretty much the only time doing the Hadouken is practical) Capcom would unlikely make a SF Kinect due to risk of damaging your surrounding and the person you playing with in Vs mode.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
That's cool. The ease at which you perform moves kinda reminds me of Capcom vs. SNK 2: Extreme Offensive for the Gamecube a few years back.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I've been quite flustered with SFIV and every version thereof so far, and I couldn't care less about the Kinect, but I have to admit that's pretty fucking awesome.

Brainstrain

Oct 3, 2009
I remember a product that would do this for the original genesis Mortal Kombat. It could sense high, low, or medium attacks. Never tried it, but this makes me believe the technology simply wasn't around 14 years ago.

As a non-fighting game fan, this might get me to do a few rounds.

Cuddly Knife

May 20, 2009
this isnt my name said:
I love how hackers are doingbetter than the devs M$ hired.
That's usually the case with games that are allowed to be modded. That's why LBP allows users their tools, their are construction sets in many PC games, and why everyone hates SOny right now because of them trying to eliminate hackers.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
John Funk said:
It looks like the hack just works with Ken and Guile for the moment. Good thing, too; I have no idea how you'd pull off Chun-Li's spinning bird kick with something like that.
I'm still amazed they found anyone who could do that somersault kick. Also that's the downside? Just think of the workout. By the time you can win a full match with this thing you'll be in street-fighting shape. What I'd really like to see though is somebody play a round of a fast fighter like Blazblue or Marvel Vs Capcom 3 with a setup like this. Just to see how dead they'd be afterward.