The Awards Season Can Begin: Razzie Nominations Announced

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
The Awards Season Can Begin: Razzie Nominations Announced

The nominees have been announced, and The Last Airbender and The Twilight Saga: Eclipse have the best odds of winning a Golden Raspberry award for 2010.

Awarding what its website calls [http://www.razzies.com/] "Dis-Honors for Worst Achievements in Film" since 1980, the Razzie Awards are one step ahead of the Oscars. The Golden Raspberry nominations and awards both take place the day before the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announce their yearly honorees, ushering in awards season for the best and the worst of the year in film. The honorees for 2010 have been announced, with The Last Airbender and The Twilight Saga: Eclipse both leading the way with 9 nominations, each film recognized in almost every category.

Worst picture nominees include The Bounty Hunter, The Last Airbender, Sex and the City 2, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, and the Twilight-inspired parody Vampires Suck. Worst actor nods go to Jack Black for Gulliver's Travels, Gerard Butler for The Bounty Hunter, and Ashton Kutcher, Taylor Lautner, and Robert Pattinson for two films apiece: Kutcher for Killers and Valentine's Day, Lautner for Eclipse and Valentine's Day, and Pattinson for Eclipse and Remember Me.

Rounding out the big three categories are the worst actress nominees: Jennifer Aniston for both The Bounty Hunter and The Switch, Kristen Stewart for Eclipse, Megan Fox for Jonah Hex, Miley Cyrus for The Last Song, and all four Sex and the City stars (Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis, and Cynthia Nixon) for Sex and the City 2.

Other categories include worst director, worst screen couple/ screen ensemble, worst screenplay, worst prequel, remake, rip-off, or sequel, and worst supporting actor and actress. This year's special category is "Worst Eye-Gouging Mis-Use of 3-D;" I'm putting my money on Cats and Dogs 2: Revenge of Kitty Galore.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/annual-razzie-awards-make-2010-picks-m-night-shyamalans-the-last-airbender-twilights-eclipse-sex-and-the-city-2-worst-offenders/]

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
"Worst Eye-Gouging Misuse of 3D," eh? Personally, I would give that award to any and all films which incorporate 3D. I can't stand it; it's put me off of so many movies that I could have been interested in seeing otherwise.

Plus in the few times I've tried to watch 3D media, I've received a headache that can only be described as "soul-crushing".

Apr 28, 2008
CounterAttack said:
"Worst Eye-Gouging Misuse of 3D," eh? Personally, I would give that award to any and all films which incorporate 3D. I can't stand it; it's put me off of so many movies that I could have been interested in seeing otherwise.

Plus in the few times I've tried to watch 3D media, I've received a headache that can only be described as "soul-crushing".
Yeah, what he said.

The only movies I'll suffer through 3D for are Pixar movies. Otherwise 3D will cause me to not watch your film.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Hmm... how come their aren't any razzies for videogames?
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
...worst prequel, remake, rip-off...
Ahh. I get it now...if videogames were to do this sort of thing there would be less chuckling and more steam coming out of peoples ears...still one can imagine...

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
I'm so happy to see these "exceptional" movies given exactly what they deserve, and I'm glad that awards like this exist to punish these sorts of movies.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I sure hope The Last Airbender win the awards! I want to see M. Night Shyamalan reaction and if possibly a speech for receiving it!

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
I sure hope The Last Airbender win the awards! I want to see M. Night Shyamalan reaction and if possibly a speech for receiving it!
This but at the same time I feel for my friends who are fans of the tv series that that monster was somehow created from... D:

Green Tentacle

Apr 9, 2009
It's not surprising that they put the Expendables on there for Worst Director for Stallone considering the fact they gave Worst Star of the Century.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Worst Director--Stallone, for The Expendables. God I hope he gets one. That would be freaking hilarious. Worst screen ensemble had me laughing in that "Josh Brolin's Face and Megan Fox's accent" was the actual reason. Holy Hell that's hilarious.

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
WORST PICTURE
VAMPIRES SUCK (20th Century-Fox/Regency Enterprises)

WORST ACTOR
Jack Black / GULLIVER'S TRAVELS

WORST ACTRESS
Mylie Cyrus / THE LAST SONG

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Cher / BURLESQUE

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Billy Ray Cyrus / THE SPY NEXT DOOR

WORST EYE-GOUGING MIS-USE Of 3-D (Special Category for 2010!)
CLASH OF THE TITANS

WORST SCREEN COUPLE / WORST SCREEN ENSEMBLE
Josh Brolin's Face & Megan Fox's Accent / JONAH HEX

WORST DIRECTOR
M. Night Shyamalan / THE LAST AIRBENDER

WORST SCREENPLAY
TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE, Screenplay by Melissa Rosenberg, Based on the Novel by Stephenie Meyer

WORST PREQUEL, REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL (Combined Category for 2010)
SEX & THE CITY #2

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Twilight seems to get ripped on a lot. I wonder if there are legitimate critical reasons for that or if it's just satire on their part.

XShrike

Sep 11, 2007
The Last Airbender should win worst picture consider what it might have done to a good franchise. I don't have anything to back this up, but I heard we got this movie instead of an epilogue for the first series. Part of it would explain what happened to Zuko's mother. At least it didn't seem to hurt the second series.

The Twilight series is already mocked as it is. It would be like winning the award for fattest kid in fat camp.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
I honestly don't see Eclipse taking too many of the awards. Maybe worst couple, that's about it. I see The Last Airbender sweeping most of the awards, truthfully, just given the amount of bile this movie produced and the fact the movie may have single-handedly ruined M. Night Shyamalan's directing career beyond repair.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
CounterAttack said:

While I generally agree with you that 3D is poorly handled and rarely adds anything to the film, I know of ONE exception, the Pixar short Day and Night (it came with Toy Story 3) because it was made FOR 3D with it's unique idea, not just WITH 3D.

I not sure a the only good 3D film is a Pixar short is a good or bad thing.

OT: Heres a non-existant vote towards Airbender getting the big prize.