James Cameron Knows What to Get You for Christmas: More Avatar

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
James Cameron Knows What to Get You for Christmas: More Avatar

Sequels to 2009's Avatar can be expected in theaters around Christmas 2014 and 2015.

James Cameron, director of the multi-billion-dollar grossing Avatar, has revealed his plans for the film's inevitable sequels. The films haven't been fully scripted yet, but he tells Entertainment Weekly that he's in the process of writing them now. The films will likely be shot together, but will be released about a year apart, at Christmas 2014 and the same time in 2015.

Cameron also drops a pretty sizable hint about which characters audiences can expect to see again, telling Entertainment Weekly, "Basically, if you survived the first film, you get to be in the second film, at least in some form."

Cameron's not only giving the movie-going public Christmas presents-- he wants the world at large to benefit, too. EW reports that the director has partnered with Twentieth Century Fox (the production and distribution company behind Avatar) to donate a percentage of the sequels' "presumably-massive" gross to unspecified environmental charities. Cameron tells EW he didn't want to pump the franchise for more money "without a grander plan in place."

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/01/24/avatar-sequels-james-cameron/]

Mezzo.

Nov 19, 2009
Don't necessarily see how they could go about continuing this. The ending to the first one had quite a lot of closure to it. :(

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
No[footnote]Moderator edit: Refrain from low content posts in the future, read the posting guidelines.[/footnote]

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
More fighting alien-lolcats coming to a fandom near you!
http://www.geekologie.com/2010/08/04/avatar-tattoo.jpg

So realistically speaking the film'll be about a massive air attack and then two hours of watching a 3D documentation about mining unobtanium? Hell, I'd even watch that.

1deano1

Oct 6, 2008
Surprising? No. I thought there was gonna be a sequel. I mean, why not? Why not make a sequel out of the highest grossing film of 2010?

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
Oh great more Avatar, oh well I won't be seeing this, as I thought it to be highly over-rated, and just boring/cliche. I want a trilogy like LOTOR, or back to the future

necronmm

Dec 14, 2010
Well it's still quite a ways away. Here's hoping they improve the story instead of focusing on visuals

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Damn it James, I'll gotten Avatar for the past two years.

I got you a 360 Last year, can't you be creative with your gifts D:

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
How are they going to release two new movies in a row? Is it going to be one of these two part things? I hope not...
Also, I know I'll end up seeing both of these. In four years. Best mark my calendar.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Mezzo. said:
Don't necessarily see how they could go about continuing this. The ending to the first one had quite a lot of closure to it. :(
It's pretty clear, they go back and nuke it all, in awesome CGI, string it out for 90minutes and smack some 3D on it, and there is your blockbuster.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I take it in the next one Neytiri goes to London with John Rolfe in hopes of diplomatic exchange?

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I really liked Avatar, and have no problem with admitting that.

But will anyone really care about it in 2014 or 2015?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Fah, did not much like the first one, so I doubt I will find the second one to be any better.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
So the U.S. military comes back with the expedition team and fire bombs the Na'vi out of existence? I'd pay to see that.

Kwatsu

Feb 21, 2007
Did Avatar really need a sequel? Let alone two?

Oh, right. Money. Sorry. It's pretty cool that they'll be earning for charity, but still.