Wolfenstein 3D Ported to Line of Pixels

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Wolfenstein 3D Ported to Line of Pixels

The creators of Wolfenstein 1-D turned a classic id shooter into a single line of playable pixels.

1992's Wolfenstein 3D [http://www.amazon.com/Wolfenstein-3D-Game-Boy-Advance/dp/B00006409I/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295928811&sr=1-2] is known for popularizing the first-person shooter and defining the genre as we know it. As a tribute, Wonder-Tonic created Wolfenstein 1-D, a version of Wolfenstein 3D that plays out on a single line of pixels.

The basic concept is exactly the same as Wolfenstein 3D. Players take on the role of B.J. Blazkowicz as he attempts to escape from a Nazi stronghold and steal all of the Nazi treasure he can, but now B.J. is made of a small white rectangle just one pixel tall. Enemies are made of red and blue rectangles. Treasure, ammo, and health items are made from yellow, purple, and green respectively.

Instead of moving around in pseudo-3D, B.J. has to move to the right through the pixel tall level while shooting enemy Nazis before they shoot him. Enemies included in Wolfenstein 1-D are the typical 1-shot type and the automatic rifle type, so there's some variety. B.J. still has to open doors too, though I couldn't find any that led to a secret room full of golden chalices.

Wolfenstein 1-D isn't as easy as you think it'd be at first, but once you get the hang of the game it's over pretty quickly. I'm hoping the 5.25 inch floppy disk I ordered of later episodes will feature Mecha-Nazi Hitler and other bosses. Check it out here [http://wonder-tonic.com/wolf1d/].

Source: Kotaku [http://wonder-tonic.com/wolf1d/]

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
I believe the operative term here is: "What is this I don?t even."

I'm not even sure how you'd play it, though it clearly must be playable.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
It's a good game, but the level design is bland and repetitive, and definitely does not encourage exploration.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Well that was... Interesting. Yeah. Let's go with that.

Xzi said:
But hey, at least it wasn't as linear as FFXIII.

*BAH DUM TSH!*
Nice one.

AK47Marine

Aug 29, 2009
Wow... just wow and they want how much for this? $35? I wouldn't pay that for the most recent Wolfenstein game much less this version of Wolfenstein 3d

TheDoomPenguin

Mar 25, 2010
Hint: The order screen has Apogee's real address. The maker isn't Apogee.

This was a nice, clever five minute distraction, I liked it.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
It's like going on a killing spree in Flatland.

Unfortunately my monitor's too high resolution. I'll never see it.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
TheDoomPenguin said:

That was their old address, before they got absorbed into 3d Realms, and then recreated in Dallas. Who has a 3.5 drive nowadays, much less a 5.25 drive?

That's actually the Shareware ending of Wolfenstein 3-d, except with a 1-d instead of 3-d.

[moreyouknow.jpg]

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
TheDoomPenguin said:

What?? Where did I send my money??

TheDoomPenguin

Mar 25, 2010
vxicepickxv said:
TheDoomPenguin said:

That was their old address, before they got absorbed into 3d Realms, and then recreated in Dallas. Who has a 3.5 drive nowadays, much less a 5.25 drive?

That's actually the Shareware ending of Wolfenstein 3-d, except with a 1-d instead of 3-d.

[moreyouknow.jpg]
I know it's the end to shareware Wolf3D, but that really is still their address, check the 3D Realms website.

Tom Goldman said:
TheDoomPenguin said:

What?? Where did I send my money??
To George Broussard's BBQ and Strippers fund is my best guess. :p