Star Wars: The Old Republic to be the First Fully-Voiced MMOGs Ever

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Star Wars: The Old Republic to be the First Fully-Voiced MMOGs Ever

Tired of scrolling through pages of text in your favorite MMOG? Star Wars: The Old Republic developer BioWare Austin may have the solution: Record unique dialogue for every single line of text in the game.

Earlier today at EA's E3 press conference, BioWare Cofounder Ray Muzyka followed a processional of roughly two-dozen faux Jedi onstage to announce that the upcoming Star Wars: The Old Republic would be the first fully-voiced MMOG ever. Muzyka called it "the largest voiceover project in the history of games," if not all entertainment media.

Muzyka then treated the crowd to a first look at the game's opening cinematic, which featured a group of Sith Lords and bounty hunters clashing with a band of Jedi knights. If Muzyka's previous announcement wasn't enough, the trailer certainly gave some insight into the scale of the developer's ambitions for the project.

[flowplayer=http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/vc/deceived_cinematic_trailer.flv]

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
bue519 said:
Well, thats cool. But how bout some game play?
Indeed, I'd rather have a fun game than a game that I don't have to read in.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Deef said:
bue519 said:

Dont jump to the conclusion that the game sucks just becuase they havent released a gameplay trailer yet. I for one, am gonna buy this game. Im glad the MMO market is Really taking off. We actually have more choice now than WoW, WoW, Wow, guild wars, WoW expansion No. 1, Runescape (Sucks?) Wows expansion no 2, and wow.

Now we have, um...WoW, SW Ye olde repulic, AoC, Champions online,DC univserse Tabula rasa (Dying, but free for a few months until it dies) Star trek online, Eve (Biggest load o' bullshit...)LotrO, and so on, W/e, I missed a bunch but hey.
Hmm...I think Im gonna get this Star wars one, and I might try out the Star trek one. ive tried AoC, but its pretty much WoW (Which I played for a year and a half until I realised I was addicted and am currently taking a break. Ya gotta be careful with that game not to be addicted.) with a graphics upgrade and a gameplay downgrade. Also played LotrO. Its very fun actually - the PvP is pretty fun and not a grindfest. In fact the game isnt all that grind based compared to several others. Although My six month subscription ran out and I havent bothered playing it. As for guild wars, I like the whole one-off-purchase thing and no subscriptions, but the game itself well...pretty much sucks, and the classes are very limited. in fact ive played every one of those games that is currently been released, becuase MMO's are one of my fav game genres. Also played eve, and hated it.

So, judging by that wall of text you didnt read, I know about MMO's - and im really quite hyped for Star trek and Star wars MMOs. Although SW galaxies was, well, a disappointment. Though hopefully this will be far better <3. And I know its unoriginal, But I am so gonna be a jedi.

DigitalJedl

Apr 10, 2009
Ashbax said:
Deef said:
bue519 said:

Dont jump to the conclusion that the game sucks just becuase they havent released a gameplay trailer yet. I for one, am gonna buy this game. Im glad the MMO market is Really taking off. We actually have more choice now than WoW, WoW, Wow, guild wars, WoW expansion No. 1, Runescape (Sucks?) Wows expansion no 2, and wow.

Now we have, um...WoW, SW Ye olde repulic, AoC, Champions online,DC univserse Tabula rasa (Dying, but free for a few months until it dies) Star trek online, Eve (Biggest load o' bullshit...)LotrO, and so on, W/e, I missed a bunch but hey.
Hmm...I think Im gonna get this Star wars one, and I might try out the Star trek one. ive tried AoC, but its pretty much WoW (Which I played for a year and a half until I realised I was addicted and am currently taking a break. Ya gotta be careful with that game not to be addicted.) with a graphics upgrade and a gameplay downgrade. Also played LotrO. Its very fun actually - the PvP is pretty fun and not a grindfest. In fact the game isnt all that grind based compared to several others. Although My six month subscription ran out and I havent bothered playing it. As for guild wars, I like the whole one-off-purchase thing and no subscriptions, but the game itself well...pretty much sucks, and the classes are very limited. in fact ive played every one of those games that is currently been released, becuase MMO's are one of my fav game genres. Also played eve, and hated it.

So, judging by that wall of text you didnt read, I know about MMO's - and im really quite hyped for Star trek and Star wars MMOs. Although SW galaxies was, well, a disappointment. Though hopefully this will be far better <3. And I know its unoriginal, But I am so gonna be a jedi.
There are several gameplay videos on the swtor website if you just look.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
An MMORPG with full voice acting? I wonder how much hard drive space that would take up...

Arrakiv

Dec 17, 2005
Erm... EverQuest 2 certainly had a large amount of voice acting. Although it might not have been entirely so at release (I know later expansions didn't add in full voice acting).

Still, I'm happy to hear it and I am keeping an eye on this one. But, Star Wars + Bioware means I'm pretty much going to be at least somewhat interesting.

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
Bioware has a good history with Star Wars, so perhaps I will play, and tell no-one. My shooter-freak status shall not be compromised.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Impressive if they can pull it off.

As for the disk space concerns, I expect they'll stream the necessary audio.

Samman

Mar 19, 2009
That is a TON of voiceover work. I can't imagine if everything in WoW had voiceovers. That's a mind-boggling amount of sound.

Perhaps they'll find a way to stream the audio through the game or something. I can't imagine having to download all that via any sort of digital distribution and it'd probably take up a few DVD's just for the voiceovers in the retail box.

trooper87

Mar 22, 2008
Can anyone say Delayed in the immediate future? But if that doesn't happen the the game will be dumbed down gameplay wise most likely.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
RollForInitiative said:
Gormourn said:
Didn't AoC have voice acting for just about every NPC I can think of? Or something like that.
Within the starting city of Tortage? Yes. Once you left it? Nope.
Yeah that killed the game for me. Tortage was awesome, and, a lot of AoC's flaws could be partially put to one side because the area was so engaging. The -second- you step out and into the main gameworld everything falls to crap. A real shame, a few more years in the cooker and Age of Conan could have been really something special.