Piracy Outpacing Sales by 4:1, Says U.K. Game Body

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Piracy Outpacing Sales by 4:1, Says U.K. Game Body

U.K. Interactive Entertainment [http://www.ukie.info/], the organization of U.K.-based videogame publishers, claims that for everyone one videogame sold in the country, four copies are pirated.

Piracy. Most of us can agree that it's not a good thing. The debate begins when we try to figure out exactly how bad it is. UKIE Director General Michael Rawlinson estimates that the ratio of piracy to legitimate game sales is running at about 4:1, an appalling figure, but acknowledged that the actual impact on the industry is very hard to determine. He also said that recent figures claiming piracy cost U.K. retailers nearly $2.3 billion in 2010 was a "conservative" guess that did not necessarily represent a direct loss to sellers.

"We took a conservative position of saying if this is only 1:1 across all titles it would have a retail equivalent value of £1.45 billion," he told GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-01-24-ukie-games-piracy-4-1-against-legitimate-sales]. "We did not say this was the loss to industry."

"What is clear is people who 'share' games via P2P networks or buy illegal copies are not buying the real product, and this reduces retailer sales. It can provide the consumer with a sub-standard product and money paid to illegal traders does not flow back to the creative," he continued. "In turn, investors see higher risks/lower returns, and this in turn will undermine confidence in the sector and lower the amount of money invested, reducing the developer's chance to create new products."

Figuring out the real cost of piracy is a tricky job because there are so many variables at play, not to mention the fact that people might be inclined to be less than honest about taking part in what is essentially a dishonest activity. The matter is further complicated by cases like that of Daniel Amitay, the creator of the iPhone game Punch 'Em!, who recently attributed a big, sustained jump in his sales to increased rates of illegal copying [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107233-iPhone-Game-Dev-Credits-Piracy-for-Doubling-His-Sales]. Rawlinson said the UKIE is commissioning further research into the issue to try to come up with a better understanding of the impact of piracy but cautioned against using anecdotes like Amitray's to justify it.

"My position is clear, there can be no justification of unauthorized 'sharing' or pirate sales," he said. "The industry should never support or condone this on the basis of any potential or perceived 'marketing' upside."

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Guess those Pirates weren't buying the actual game if they liked it like they claimed after all.

Who'd of thought that people who steal "illegally acquire" games would lie?

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Well fuck. Even if ten percent of pirated games is a lost sale that's a large chunk of change.

I'm almost okay with people pirating (almost), but the ones that pirate, and then ***** about lack of innovation or some such really piss me off.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH and in other news, pirating is ok when done seldom, Remember:Only you can prevent mass pirating.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
First of all these are ridiculously misleading statistics:

1) It assumes that they can account for every pirated game by magic. Even torrent following sites miss a few sites or direct download links, and some of them give completely inaccurate data because it's the amount of times a torrent is started and doesn't give an accurate number of how many actually downloaded the whole thing.

2) It doesn't account for the fact that a considerable amount of pirated games are games that are currently unattainable because of age or platform. Ex: One of the top torrents on TPB is a SNES emulator pack...there's no possibility of a lost sale because those games and consoles are available only on eBay and other auction sites.

3) Following from 2, these statistics are unfairly weighted towards implying that every pirated game is a copy of a game coming out that year, thus showing that piracy is outpacing sales for current games, which is more than likely completely and totally false.

Piracy is an inevitability in the age of the internet, and it gives you more marketing data, so use it for what it can be used for and suck it up. Stop whining and either come up with an unbreakable DRM that doesn't fuck over us legitimate customers, or use piracy to track sales and make good marketing and follow-up decisions.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
And so what? There is a lot of piracy. Big surprise. But if they try to say that every pirated game is a lost sale they can suck my manly part. Make a good product, and people will buy it.

Sometimes people have zero cash. And pirate. While I can not really condone this, I usually remember Bill Gates' words (at least I think it was him) when told about windows piracy in china. It went something along the lines of "if they pirate, I'd rather they pirated OUR product." He was smart enough to realize that sooner or later either
1: They would HAVE to pay because the business got too official
or
2: They would pay freely because they had come into money and could afford to run a legit operation.

I get so sick of publishers whining about this. The market has NEVER been bigger, and they owe a LOT of free PR to piracy. No one seems to take THAT into account.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Once again, I'll wheel out my estimate that 0.01% of pirated copies are lost sales. However, if deth2munkies' second point is accurate, I'll probably have to revise that down.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
1-4 doesn't seem that bad really, considering the whole "it's free and virtually undetectable"
maybe us brits are just more principled.

zwober

Nov 20, 2009
Im curios. has anyone ever had to pay for a pirated version of a game ? Becasue ive never really heard it, nor seen anyone trying to sell one. Ofc, that dosent mean its not being done, Im just curious as to what platform a money-pirate goes for. Sadly, statistics given to us by firms such as these never give us those numbers. or well, they dont give them to me on a silver platter with whipped cream and cherries. Whats a guy supposed to do to get some darned Relevant-Statistic-objects on a silver platter with whipped cream and cherries on top ?

blech, im going to hit the sack.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Losing sales due to people who wouldn't buy the game in the first place? Okay, Michael, whatever you say...

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
UKIE Director General Michael Rawlinson estimates that the ratio of piracy to legitimate game sales is running at about 4:1
To me, this sort of translates to "here is a ratio I pulled out of my ass!"

That said, piracy is wrong and there are very few excuses for it. As was brought up in Extra Credits, possibly the only excuse if it is actually not possible to get the game legally; either due to where you live or because it's a game that is no longer being produced, such as for old consoles.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
"What is clear is people who 'share' games via P2P networks or buy illegal copies are not buying the real product, and this reduces retailer sales."

No, no, no, no, for the last time, it is not 'clear' that a pirated games equals a lost sale. This gets trotted out everytime. I hope they do stop all piracy, only to find out that their sales figures stay about the same. And these so called missing sales were completely made up.

This deluded concept that everyone who pirates a game would have brought it if they could not pirate it. It is actually worrying as the industry is using a lot of resources to fight this problem which may not help their bottom lines very much if solved. If the same amount of resources were spent elsewhere, they might well be in better shape.....

ANd this coming from someone who always buys their games. And gives their freetard firends a tounge lashing for not supporting the industry.

Steve Fidler

Feb 20, 2010
ph0b0s123 said:
"What is clear is people who 'share' games via P2P networks or buy illegal copies are not buying the real product, and this reduces retailer sales."

No, no, no, no, for the last time, it is not 'clear' that a pirated games equals a lost sale. This gets troted out everytime.
As noted in my previous post in this topic, I actually use this line in Piracy related articles to rule out any possibility of truth. As soon as this is said, or anything eludes to it, it is obvious that no actual research has been done and it is all speculation and sensationalism.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Most of us can agree
I find it hilariously unprofessional that your first line in an article about how "your side" represents barely 20% of the relevant population at best, you immediately pull a "9 out of 10 doctors" fallacy out of nowhere as an attempt to establish your position as the "true" one.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Generic Gamer said:
And we wonder why games are expensive. This is what happens when we allow permissiveness to go too far. There's a fine line between 'you won't be hated for who you are' and 'anything you ever do is OK'.

Guess which version people in the UK grow up believing?
Kind of a Chicken and Egg argument.
I bet of all the conclusions drawn from this study, none of them are "games are too expensive."
When I was poor, I didn't pay for every game I got but I didn't play nearly as many as I do now. And yes, the really good ones I would buy, or get as a gift.
What I'm saying is that many (if not most) of the people downloading these games for free wouldn't buy them even if that was the only option available.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
deth2munkies said:
First of all these are ridiculously misleading statistics:

1) It assumes that they can account for every pirated game by magic. Even torrent following sites miss a few sites or direct download links, and some of them give completely inaccurate data because it's the amount of times a torrent is started and doesn't give an accurate number of how many actually downloaded the whole thing.

2) It doesn't account for the fact that a considerable amount of pirated games are games that are currently unattainable because of age or platform. Ex: One of the top torrents on TPB is a SNES emulator pack...there's no possibility of a lost sale because those games and consoles are available only on eBay and other auction sites.

3) Following from 2, these statistics are unfairly weighted towards implying that every pirated game is a copy of a game coming out that year, thus showing that piracy is outpacing sales for current games, which is more than likely completely and totally false.

Piracy is an inevitability in the age of the internet, and it gives you more marketing data, so use it for what it can be used for and suck it up. Stop whining and either come up with an unbreakable DRM that doesn't fuck over us legitimate customers, or use piracy to track sales and make good marketing and follow-up decisions.
You saved me a lot of typing cheers...

I might also add that in an age where game studios/publishers are enjoying the largest and most diverse consumer market they have ever known they really think a bullshit statistic like 4:1 illegal to legal copies will fly?Behave... Developers should be grateful they even have a market given the recession and what not.

There is probably only a small selection of stereotypes that will illegally download games. I think it's a safe bet that any games developed for children or families will probably not get pirated. Same goes for the casual market. Since you cannot reliably state what percentage of hardcore gamers illegally download games you cannot even begin to speculate as to actual lost sales. Made even more difficult when you should only count those games that people would have bought.

As said above and which rings true for all digital media industries, the games industry needs to adapt to the age of the Internet, develop more sophisticated DRM technology and most importantly of all, Increase the value of purchasing a genuine game not just jacking up the price to reflect estimated losses...

Honestly, the film, music and games industries have failed so much to adapt to the internet it'd make an Amish man facepalm...

Nov 5, 2007
Low Key said:
Losing sales due to people who wouldn't buy the game in the first place? Okay, Michael, whatever you say...
Why are they playing the game if they had no intention of buying it?

Low Key

May 7, 2009
ShadowKirby said:
Low Key said:
Why are they playing the game if they had no intention of buying it?
Because they like free shit.