Oops: PS3 Black Ops Update Adds Xbox Live Message

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Oops: PS3 Black Ops Update Adds Xbox Live Message

Treyarch's latest update to the PS3 version of Call of Duty: Black Ops refers to features that the PS3 doesn't even have.

You know, software development is an exceptionally complicated thing, particularly when it comes to games. There are hundreds of thousands of lines of code that can all tangle up together when a player does the exact right thing in the exact right location at the exact right moment - something developers could never catch. For the most part, I'm inclined to give game makers a break when their games have a bug here and there (though some games are more egregious than others [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_289/8549-What-Happens-in-New-Vegas] in this regard).

But then there are issues that could have been avoided by having a simple copy editor on staff. Like this one:

Following yesterday's 1.06 patch, sharp-eyed owners of the PS3 version of Black Ops noticed a strange message when selecting the "Search & Destroy" game type. In addition to the normal game type description, Black Ops helpfully informed PS3 owners that the mode did not support Xbox Live party chat.

It's likely just a simple mistake - someone copied and pasted the text in question and forgot to take the offending part out - and it's certainly not like it hurts anyone; it's just kind of funny. That said, the timing is a bit unfortunate for Treyarch, given the recent formal complaint [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107163-Gaming-Advocacy-Group-Reports-Black-Ops-to-UK-Government] about the alleged inferiority of the PS3 and PC versions of the game in comparison to the one on the Xbox 360. It certainly won't help PS3 owners feel like they've gotten a fair shake.

In a twist of situational irony, patch 1.06 was meant to address some of those very complaints from PS3 owners. Oops.

Though, looking at it in a positive light, the message is technically true: When played on PS3, the Search & Destroy game type will not support Xbox Live party chat. In fact, none of them will!

(CVG [http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=408673&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=jv39rftu2u7sfoa66d3lmq2qq0])

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
That is funny :)

I don't see how anyone could be mad with it though, it is only a silly mistake and doesn't change anything...

Dec 14, 2009
I think this is why I only buy PS3 exclusives, because for the most part, cross platform games tend to break the 360 less often.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
C95J said:
That is funny :)

I don't see how anyone could be mad with it though, it is only a silly mistake and doesn't change anything...
agreed, i cant help but laugh... i know i shouldn't

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Lol, I bet the guy who made the mistake must fell really embarrassed.

Luckily its just a silly typo, nothing game ruining or anything.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
See? That's why i'm totally not getting any console from this generation. My PC is just too superior.

PS3 has constant problems, lacks big community and has unpleasant to use (at least for me) pad, also lacks some games i would want to play.
Xbox 360 has Microsoft that does not allow Valve to implement Steamworks there, and there are paid accounts.
Wii... just joking, i have never even considered it, it's a silly toy.

I'd really like to own a console, but neither has the features i require.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
"Though, looking at it in a positive light, the message is technically true: When played on PS3, the Search & Destroy game type will not support Xbox Live party chat. In fact, none of them will!"

May as well include a "Not compatible with GBA link cable" just to be safe.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
I don't see how PS3 can be mad about this. They wanted the same stuff the 360 is getting, and I don't think they could get more accurate than with that. :p

Jul 22, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
I think this is why I only buy PS3 exclusives, because for the most part, cross platform games tend to break the 360 less often.
I was confused and had to read that several times... you buy only exclusives for your PS3 and multiplatform games you get for Xbox right? o_O

OT: I find this quite funny :3

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Well it depends on the game really. You're right that most cross-platform games work better on 360, aa lot of developers made the game for that platform originally because it's easier and then ported it over to PS3.

That's changing a lot recently though, quite a few developers have started focusing development on the PS3 version of games and then porting it over to Xbox afterwards.
Might be worth researching a little when you're buying multiplatform, go on dev blogs and look out for hints of which should be the best version :3

Dec 14, 2009
GamesB2 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I was confused and had to read that several times... you buy only exclusives for your PS3 and multiplatform games you get for Xbox right? o_O

OT: I find this quite funny :3
I get xbox exclusives too, it's just that I find a lot of cross platform games perform better on the 360. The PS3 has enough decent exclusives to be worth buying it.

Dec 14, 2009
Dexiro said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Well it depends on the game really. You're right that most cross-platform games work better on 360, aa lot of developers made the game for that platform originally because it's easier and then ported it over to PS3.

That's changing a lot recently though, quite a few developers have started focusing development on the PS3 version of games and then porting it over to Xbox afterwards.
Might be worth researching a little when you're buying multiplatform, go on dev blogs and look out for hints of which should be the best version :3
Yeah, it looks like some devs are making the effort now. I tend to do a little research before hand anyway, so it's not usually a problem.