Nintendo Pushes Ocarina of Time 3D Out of 3DS Launch Window

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nintendo Pushes Ocarina of Time 3D Out of 3DS Launch Window

Nintendo feels its 3DS launch lineup will be strong, even though its big name first-party title has been pushed past summer.

At first, Nintendo wasn't very clear about the games that were planned to launch along with the 3DS in regions Kid Icarus: Uprising [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106777-Nintendo-World-Unveils-3DS-Launch-Lineup-Battery-Life], putting both outside of the launch window completely.

Reggie Fils-Aime told MTV Multiplayer that the two highly anticipated first-party titles won't be released until sometime after early June. "Mario, Zelda, all of those titles are coming," Fils-Aime said. "From our perspective, we like to launch titles when they're ready. And so they'll be ready, they'll be ready soon. Just not in that initial time period of late March to early June."

Sad making. However, Nintendo points to three other franchises that it hopes and believes will take the place of Zelda and Mario. Fils-Aime spoke highly of Steel Diver [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107122-Hands-On-Nintendogs-Cats] as titles that will keep 3DS players engaged until the big hitters come out.

"Between Nintendogs + Cats and Pilotwings, those two franchises, either on the original DS or on other legacy systems like the NES or Super NES, have sold tens of millions of copies," Fils-Aime revealed. "Those two franchises have a lot of strength all by themselves. Steel Diver is a brand new experience, and from a compelling standpoint, we think it's awfully compelling." Fils-Aime also pointed out that beyond first-party games, 3DS owners should look forward to Madden [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107099-Hands-On-Super-Street-Fighter-IV-3D-Edition].

Looking back at the launch lineups of the Nintendo Wii and the Nintendo DS, I think I might echo Fils-Aime's positivity about the strength of the 3DS's. Super Mario 64 DS [http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Sports-Resort-Nintendo/dp/B001COQW14/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1296065798&sr=1-1], an N64 port, to keep it company. Nintendogs + Cats will definitely have an appeal to a certain audience, while Pilotwings Resort might give the Nintendo fanboy/girl something to look forward to if he/she doesn't mind playing as a Mii. Steel Diver still has some convincing to do. I think Ocarina of Time 3D is the closest first-party title that every Nintendo fan should truly look forward to, but things aren't so bad on the first or third-party 3DS launch fronts while we're waiting.

Source: MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/01/25/reggie-fils-aime-on-lack-of-zelda-kid-icarus-at-3ds-launch/]

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Awwww.

Oh well, hopefully they will use the time well.

There are still other interesting titles to hold me over till its release.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I have not seen any mention of Starfox 64 3D lately... I'm surprised it isn't in the opening lineup. It is the only reason I would be pursuaded to buy a 3DS, everything else, including OOT, would be a bonus.

bladester1

Feb 5, 2008
Is it just me or does that 2D image of the 3D on a 2D screens seem very much 3D? Or is it that I've just played so many games over the years that my mind automatically warps what I see to 3d?

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
bladester1 said:
Is it just me or does that 2D image of the 3D on a 2D screens seem very much 3D? Or is it that I've just played so many games over the years that my mind automatically warps what I see to 3d?
you just gave me a headache

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I feel like we're being sold a new car but not being given the chance to buy petrol.

Still, at least that gives some time for the 3DS to drop in price a little and pick it up with some decent games in June in a bundle.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
i'll pick it up once ocarina is re-released. hopefully prices will go down by then (and majora's mask announced)

Snow Fire

Fluffy Neko Kemono
Jan 19, 2009
Funny, I had a partial lucid dream last night about using a 3DS while playing Ocarina of Time 3D for it, it was pretty awesome. I hope it's as awesome as my subconscience portrayed it, and the 3D works as my subconscience imagined it.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Oh noez. Don't delay a game that's been out since 1998 and has since been re-released for both the GameCube and the Wii. Whatever will I play now?

Yeah I honestly don't care what they do with Ocarina of Time for 3DS. They can cancel it if they want, won't bother me. Nintendo, let us know when you have a NEW Zelda for 3DS to tell us about. Until then, you don't have to convince me to buy your platform despite not having a game I already played out at launch. I didn't care about that game anyway. You should be doing what Reggie is doing here, which is selling us on the brand new games we haven't played anywhere before, in the first place. If you were doing the opposite and saying "All the brand new 3DS games are being delayed/pushed out of the launch window, but we still have Ocarina of Time 3D coming out!" I'd be canceling my preorder right about now.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
bladester1 said:
The same thing happens with me. guess were just crazy.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
Well at least I don't need to consider it until closer to Christmas. The launch is ill-timed for me.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Is it just me that can't tell the difference between the graphics of the 3DS version and the original version other than a slightly brighter Tunic?
I'm playing the original now- well, the gamecube port at least- and it's just as awesome as ever. Fun fact: The gamecube port is just a CD with the ROM of the N64 game run on an emulator.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Bummer. Why is it that every game I'm looking forward to getting keeps getting delayed? F.E.A.R 3, Gears of War 3, and now this? I've always wanted to take OoT with me wherever I go. It is one of my all time favorite games.