Direct2Drives Rolls Out Virtual Game Rentals

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Direct2Drives Rolls Out Virtual Game Rentals

Digital distributor Direct2Drive [http://www.direct2drive.com] has rolled out a new rental service allowing customers to pay five bucks for five hours of playtime.

PC game rentals have historically been a thorny issue. There was a time when it was actually quite common, but the rise of consoles and, even more important, worries about the ease of piracy finally brought the practice to a halt. But Direct2Drive seems poised to bring it back, after a fashion, with a new digital rental program that gives players five hours for five bucks.

The concept is fairly simple. You pay $5.00, download your game of choice and play it for five hours - all at once, spread out over a weekend, whatever you want. If you decide to buy the game after the "rental" period is over, the $5.00 will be deducted from the purchase price; if five hours is enough to scratch the itch, then it's game over and everybody goes their separate ways. Only four games, Grid [http://www.direct2drive.com/10041/product/Buy-F.E.A.R.-(RENTAL)-Download], are currently available to rent, but presumably there will be more coming soon.

It's a simple idea but one with some obvious appeal. A five-dollar, five-hour rental may not be of much interest for games like F.E.A.R., which can be bought outright for $10, but for more expensive games it could be a very attractive option. The current selection probably won't draw in a lot of customers but if Direct2Drive can substantially broaden the titles on offer, I could see it being a big success, possibly even enough to convince other digital distributors to try something similar.

via: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/67263]

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
So, it's kind of like a paid-for demo that expires after a certain amount of time?

I like the idea. If you like it, buy it, if you don't, no harm done. Sounds fair to me.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I just hope this doesn't turn into an excuse for devs to not make demos.
Something about this just rubs me the wrong way.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Erana said:
What demos? I can't remember the last time I saw a demo for a non-indie PC game.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Just a friendly heads up: The headline should read "Direct2Drive", not "Direct2Drives".

OT: I'd be interested to see if that $5 is renewable. In other words, can I pay $10 for 10 hours of play? If so, this could definitely be a viable business model.

Of course, games that aren't 50-60 hours long won't fare too well.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
Erana said:
What demos? I can't remember the last time I saw a demo for a non-indie PC game.
Arkham Asylum comes to mind. Every subscription-based MMO, Mass Effect 2 has a demo...

Are you just not looking?

Feb 13, 2008
Still trying to decide on this one.

In one sweep it pushes Pirates away because you've already paid an amount for it, so you're more likely to finish the deal.

But, like Erana says...something just feels itchy about this.

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
I don't really know if this is a good thing or not.
On one hand, I can pay $40 on Steam to buy a game released 2-6 Months ago and play it all I want anytime I want.
On the other hand I can go to D2D and buy a rent thus only allowing to play 5 Hours.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Erana said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Erana said:
Arkham Asylum comes to mind. Every subscription-based MMO, Mass Effect 2 has a demo...

Hmm... guess just games I'm not interested in. I remember back when there used to be a demo for almost every single game out there (now I can never find demos for any games that look remotely interesting), but now that is only on consoles, which seems backwards to me.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
5 Dollars for 5 hours? I suppose they're trying to make sure you don't beat the game before you buy it.

Also 5 bucks is the price for F.E.A.R. 1 right about now or at least during a good sale so not a great idea to advertise with that.

Apr 28, 2008
Or, OR, you could release demo's instead, and limit those to 5 hours.

Kind of like Mount and Blade, only instead of a time limit, it just stopped at level 7.

meepop

Aug 18, 2009
Garak73 said:
That's really expensive. Locally I can rent console games for 3 days for $5.
Yes but will you play them for 5 hours? How many console games? Yeah it limits the amount of time but you're thinking of it from the perspective of keeping them. This is just playing them 'til the time runs out.

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
If it has cloud based servers to store your saved games then it would have some pazaz to the offer, but as it stands $5 for 5hrs is like someone stealing your kid's icecream cone and stepping on it while laughing in his face. The value just isn't there, most major games are already on console so you I can go a couple blocks pick up a $7 rental for 5days and get in as many hours as I want. Maybe the casual market will take it since I assume it would keep a timer on how long you play it. Don't pause and leave it sit though!

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Ok, over priced but FINA-FUCKINGLY! I was wondering when all the DRM and digital distribution services would combine to allow rentals, especially as PC demos seem to become retardedly hard to come by. Be the second best solution (the first being actually releasing bloody PC demos) for the industry, encouraging them to make longer games and all that good stuff. Plus, if it's digital then the publisher can get a cut of each rental nice n easy like - everyone wins!

Only thing is, the way AAA games are these days, you'd probably finish it in a 5hr sitting *zing!*

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Erana said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Erana said:

The majority of main releases don't bother. I'm not going to shell out full cashy monies on, say, Black Ops *hoping* that they've updated the gameplay from freaking CoD4. If there was a demo anywhere then I could have had a look, maybe got excited and pre-ordered and all that jazz, but there wasn't so I didn't. Same for its 2 predecessors (though, of course, I would have been disappointed anyway if I was looking for actual development and innovation). Would have probably bought Assassin's Creed if there had been a demo.

There's quite a list of big games that just don't want to make themselves available - I guess it's easier and cheaper to buy favourable reviews than to make demos...