They Nominated Who for a What Now? Examining the Oscars

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has selected their nominees. Let the betting begin!

Read Full Article

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Nolan keeps getting snubbed time and time again. He's gotten commendations from the Director's Guild THREE TIMES and NEVER gotten a Best Director nomination. It's probably because his films are never pretentious enough for the Academy voters. Hell, The King's Speech reeks of Oscar bait because it's everything those old farts LOOOOOOOOOVE.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
#1: Please pay back Annette Benning for having to go up against Hillary Swank playing a guy in 1999. That just wasn't fair.

#2: Please give Amy Adams an Oscar. God has a puppy he doesn't want to have to shoot in the face.

And, for the first time, I'm proud to say I saw none of these movies in a theater last year. Hear that, Hollywood? It's the sound of your models breaking.

Technicolor

Jan 23, 2011
The biggest snubs in my opinion are the supporting actor snub for Andrew Garfield, the Best actor snub for Mark Wahlberg, and most shocking Christopher Nolan's Best Director snub.

Despite Andrew Garfield giving one of the best supporting performances this year (only surpassed by Christian Bale in "The Fighter") he isn't given recognition because he is too young and he is bound to become popular anyway (He is going to be the new spiderman, so they don't feel it neccesary to give him recognition for his performance in the Social Network.

This is even more absurd considered Hailee Steinfeld (star of True Grit) got nominated for best supporting actress, for her very first role in a Film (despite the fact that she had 3 times the screen time as Jeff Bridges, and that she was the protagonist). Granted it was one of the best performances this year and she deserves it 100%, but if she got nominated, then so should Andrew Garfield.

I can somewhat understand the Wahlberg snub, if only because when I saw "The Fighter", Christian Bale Stole the entire movie and left everyone else in the dust.

But the Christopher Nolan snub is a load of bullshit. Whether or not you loved inception, you have acknowledge the talent that went into directing this psychological Sci-fi. A film like Inception takes an extremely talented director, and Nolan's work should have easily garnered at least a nomination. The Academy aren't that ignorant. So there has to be some other ulterior motive to this snub.

Either way the Academy are asshats for this.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
In my opinion, Jeff Bridges should have been in Best Supporting Actor and Hailee Steinfeld should have been in Best Actress for True Grit. The story was about her after all. But hey, no one really cares about my opinions.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
As the article said, Christopher Nolan was an odd omission, particularly when his brilliant creation made the Best Picture category - and the brilliance of the film was largely down to direction. There were some solid performances all round, but it was Nolan who pulled it all together into a great film.

Apophis47_NZ

Apr 19, 2010
Since 1981 every movie that has won the Best Picture oscar has at least been nominated for Best Editing. Too bad Inception didnt get a Best Editing nomination then

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Elizabeth Grunewald said:

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has selected their nominees. Let the betting begin!

Read Full Article
That TRON Legacy didn't get a nomination for effects or music is a bloody travesty. Seriously.

The visual effects nominations are a fricking joke this year.

-m

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Aiddon said:
Nolan keeps getting snubbed time and time again. He's gotten commendations from the Director's Guild THREE TIMES and NEVER gotten a Best Director nomination. It's probably because his films are never pretentious enough for the Academy voters. Hell, The King's Speech reeks of Oscar bait because it's everything those old farts LOOOOOOOOOVE.
What the flying fuck is with geek culture and this deeply internalized hatred of all media that's serious and thoughtful? Why does everything have to be snappy and modern and pop culture related? It's not hard-hitting or cutting to the point to scream "PRETENTIOUS" or "Fancy-pants artsy fartsy" at movies you never intend to see or didn't like, it's childish. As for Nolan, the oscars aren't goddamn lifetime achievement awards, they're are about the best movies made that year. And Inception, while a very solid and very good Sci-fi action movie, is not anywhere near as good as kings speech. It's not anywhere near as good as The Social Network. It's not really even comparable to True Grit. I am so sick of people disregarding not just great, but fantastic movies because they hold pandering populism as some kind of badge of honor.

Hell, The King's Speech reeks of Oscar bait because it's everything those old farts LOOOOOOOOOVE.
You don't have a single clue who any of the 6000 Academy Voters are, do you?

Jesus Christ.

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
I like how every movie I went to this year got nominated for best picture, as opposed to last year where only one of them did (yay for district 9).

I feel sorry for Andrew Garfield for two reasons.

One: He was what made The Social Network great for me. Eisenburg was really good, but I think it was Garfield's performance that made it one of my favorite movies of all time. Also, he looks like a guy I know.

Two: He has to be in the upcoming spider man movie. I'm so, so sorry.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Matt_LRR said:
Elizabeth Grunewald said:

Read Full Article
That TRON Legacy didn't get a nomination for effects or music is a bloody travesty. Seriously.

The visual effects nominations are a fricking joke this year.

-m
They're a joke almost every year. Remember when The Golden Compass won in 2008? The effects in that movie were absolutely horrid.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Is it me or are the Oscars loosing more and more of their credibility? Some of the people/films don't even deserve a nomination, and the deserving ones were left out in the cold.
Who are the people who voted for these nominations anyway?

Sep 17, 2009
Wow you really called Black Swan a "fancy pants arty film"? Ok...

Anyway, I agree with basically all of the nominations, except that Ryan Gosling deserved the nomination and the win. He was definitely the best out of all the lead actors this year. But meh, Colin Firth was great too so that'll be fine.

Also if you actually go watch the King's Speech you will see it is an extremely unique and clever film. Not the standard Oscar bait many people think it is.

Inception was great, but there is no way it will win best picture. It does not deserve to win Best Picture and Nolan does not deserve to win Best Director (since Aronofsky did an impeccable job with Black Swan), but he did deserve a nomination. He always get's snubbed and he is a fantastic director.

Who I want to win (not predictions):

Best Picture: Black Swan
Best Director: Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan may not deserve Best Picture, but he deserves to win BD without a doubt)
BA: Colin Firth (Ryan Goslin though)
BSA: Christian Bale
BActress: Natalie Portman
BSActress: Melissa Leo
Best Animated: Toy Story 3
Best Original Screenplay: The King's Speech
Best Adapted Screenplay: The Social Network
Best Documentary: Exit Through the Gift Shop
Best Score: The Social Network

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Best Actress should go to Natalie Portman but as for the rest...

Nolan certainly doesn't deserve Picture for Inception though. Yes, he should, and rightfully has been applauded on it, but it's not the best of those films, it's not his best work.

Also no Daft Punk in best score? Very poor. Inception wasn't Zimmers best, again, but it was good enough for a nomination certainly. I'd like to see Trent Reznor collect an oscar though, I've been a long time fan of his work. Delicious bias.

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
It'll be fun to see how many of the nominations inception and black swan are up for they fail to get...as for the rest couldnt care less the oscars are a joke awards show that is becoming more and more pointless each year.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
vivaldiscool said:
Aiddon said:
What the flying fuck is with geek culture and this deeply internalized hatred of all media that's serious and thoughtful? Why does everything have to be snappy and modern and pop culture related? It's not hard-hitting or cutting to the point to scream "PRETENTIOUS" or "Fancy-pants artsy fartsy" at movies you never intend to see or didn't like, it's childish. As for Nolan, the oscars aren't goddamn lifetime achievement awards, they're are about the best movies made that year. And Inception, while a very solid and very good Sci-fi action movie, is not anywhere near as good as kings speech. It's not anywhere near as good as The Social Network. It's not really even comparable to True Grit. I am so sick of people disregarding not just great, but fantastic movies because they hold pandering populism as some kind of badge of honor.

Hell, The King's Speech reeks of Oscar bait because it's everything those old farts LOOOOOOOOOVE.
You don't have a single clue who any of the 6000 Academy Voters are, do you?

Jesus Christ.
Really? Please, Moviebob just put on his blog a Youtube video called "Trailer for every Oscar-Winning Movie ever. And what's hilarious is that it's EERILY accurate for what the Academy Voters tend to like. The King's Speech is a feel-good British historical drama (set in World War 2 no less) whose success hinges more on Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush's performances than on the actual narrative or the director involved. That is Oscar Bait through and through, any movie buff can tell you that, especially since a lot of voters tend to be semi-retired due to the young people being TOO BUSY WORKING. And yes, Inception is JUST as good as stuff like True Grit, The Social Network, and The King's Speech. And considering the fact that Nolan started out making stuff like those three films (Memento, The Following, Insomnia) and yet STILL got snubbed (probably because he was also young) it just PISSES ME OFF. And don't expect The Social Network to get THAT much recognition either considering its subject matter

Sodoff

Oct 15, 2009
What happened to best non-american film? Or best foreign movie?

I feel snubbed that you didn't even mention that category.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
so did anybody know Winter's Bone existed before it was nominated for best picture?

so I really REALLY want Black Swan to win Best Picture and Best Director
but The Social Network could very easily steel one or both of those awards

oh and I also would love to see How To Train Your Dragon beat Toy Story 3 for Best Animated Picture
so that means that pigs have to grow wings and hell has to freeze over in less than 3 months

I'm disappointed that Kick Ass didn't get anything not even a nod for best adapted screenplay
or best supporting actress
seriously how awesome would it have been to see Hit Girl get an Oscar

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
mikespoff said:
As the article said, Christopher Nolan was an odd omission, particularly when his brilliant creation made the Best Picture category - and the brilliance of the film was largely down to direction. There were some solid performances all round, but it was Nolan who pulled it all together into a great film.
that was a surprising turn that Inception got nominated for Best Picture and not Best Director
I thought Inception was far too shallow to be nominated for best picture (but then I remembered Avatar) but the directing was brilliant
I'm sort of going off on a tangent here but there's one thing about Inception that totally took me out of the experience and ultimately downgraded the whole movie form great to okay for me.
after the van drove off the bridge and the first layer projections lost their gravity the second layer projections lost their gravity.
Okay I can dig that but when the second layer projections lost their gravity why did the third and forth layer projections keep their gravity? That doesn't make sense. If one layer's gravity effects the next layer down why does it only apply once? That's the kind of physical inconsistency that ruins movies for me.

Also the infinite staircase only looks infinite from a crane shot. All the projections looking at it from ground level could tell that the stairs don't go anywhere.

there was way to much showing off of effects in that movie. With folding the city in half and all the zero G silliness. It was pointless showmanship but it was well directed.

the worst thing about Inception was with out a doubt Ellen Page. It's like her job was to go in and make the audience feel retarded. it's like the main cast would give some explanatory dialogue then Ellen Page would wave at the audience then say "hey dumbass! yeah you... they just said time moves slower in dreamland. But they used big words that your retarded ass couldn't understand so I'm going to give you the heads-up so you don't feel confused when we play the falling van scene in super slow motion and the zero G elevator scene in regular slow motion then the snow covered military base scene at regular speed. so don't worry if another interesting thing happens in this movie I'll be sure to explain that for you too, you stupid *****."
so yeah Ellen Page's character ruined that movie.
it's weird all the reviews said this was a smart complicated movie so I'm under the impression that all of Ariadne's lines were added in post production a week or so after all the reviews came out

but it's all kinda moot because both categories are pretty much a 2 horse race between Black Swan and The Social Network