SyFy Casts Skins Star For Battlestar Galactica Prequel

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
SyFy Casts Skins Star For Battlestar Galactica Prequel

Luke Pasqualino, one of the stars of the U.K. version of Skins, will play a young William Adama in Blood & Chrome.

In October of 2010, SyFy announced production of a new series in the Battlestar Galactica series. Blood & Chrome will focus on the rookie days of William Adama on the brand-new Galactica. Edward James Olmos played the role in the 2004 Battlestar Galactica series, and SyFy has just announced Luke Pasqualino will step into the commander's shoes in the prequel. Pasqualino is best known for his role as Freddie Mclair on the original British version of Skins.

Blood & Chrome is set in the tenth year of the first Cylon war, and will focus on the intensity of the battle between humans and Cylons. Starring alongside Pasqualino is Ben Cotton (Stargate Atlantis, Hellcats) as Adama's commanding officer, Coker.

SyFy will kick off the new show with a two-hour pilot, but have not yet specified an airdate. To placate BSG fans in the meantime, SyFy has released concept art, which can be seen here [http://blastr.com/2010/12/-concept-art-from-battles1s.php].

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/26/battlestar-galactica-blood-chorme-cast/]

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Maybe I'mm wrong but hasn't the BSG fandom died down enough to kill that other prequal series? Why would this suddenly revitalise things?

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
What the hell?! That dude from Razor had Olmos nailed. As long as it makes Cylons scary again and doesn't make them out to be totally inept like The Plan I'll be happy.

Also that concept work looks frakking amazing.

http://blastr.com/2010/12/-concept-art-from-battles1s.php#3

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
Luke Pasqualino, one of the stars of the U.K. version of Skins, will play a young William Adama in Blood & Chrome.
I thought that said Blood & Khorne for a second. I was all excited and confused.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Damn it, I wanted Nico Cortez to reprise the role... Oh well, the interesting concept art has neatly offset that particular bit of disappointment.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I was thinking that we would be talking about the casts in made-for syfy channel movies
like Jerry the middle aged pool boy
<youtube=rv9qs5WVHS8>

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Well now I have to watch some episodes of Skins to see whether or not to be dissapointed or happy. To 40D!

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
I'm sorry, it's just so hard to take something seriously when it's meant to be on SeeFee channel

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
manythings said:
Maybe I'mm wrong but hasn't the BSG fandom died down enough to kill that other prequal series? Why would this suddenly revitalise things?
Yeah, I was watching Caprica - it was just building to an awesome action-packed third season when they fucked it. Screw 'em, not planning on watching Blood n Chrome until it's finished a full season and has a second confirmed - I've been burnt too many times getting invested into TV shows that start out fantastically then just get binned :/

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
The heart of BSG is the question "What does it mean to be human?". The main series pulled this off very well even in its weakest moments. If they can't follow that theme or explore a different one just as well, then the show fails.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
SyFy has already proven that it doesn't give a crap about the Battlestar Galactica fanbase, or the universe of the show. It proved that with the almost deliberate attempts to screw up Caprica, which ended up iving them perfect reason to cn the show in it's prime. I don't hold high hopes, therefore, for Blood and Chrome, purely because yFy's approach to quality entertainment is much the same as Fox's approach - wait until it gets really good, then cancel it (Family Guy), or don't give it a chance from the outset (Firefly).

That being said, I have no doubt the show will be good, it's just doomed to failure because of the network. And as a Brit, who watches Skins, I've seen Luke Pasqualino act before, and he's a pretty damn good actor, definitely one of the UK's newer hotly tipped stars of the future. So it's certainly a good casting choice, if somewhat different to playing a weed-smoking teenager like his Skins character... good luck to the lad, I say, and hopefully he'll be able to bring his acting talent to the forefront and help keep Blod and Chrome out of the meddling hands of executive retards...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
My opinion is that Battlestar Galactica was an okay series that suffered from an absolutly awful ending even if it did tie things up. It left me feeling very unsatisfied overall.

I've never been a big fan of direct prequels. It's one thing to set something so far in the past of a world that it has no bearing on the events of whatever the main series/product was, quite another to work backwards with continuity.

That said, I suppose if they are launching another prequel series, the fanbase must be that hot from the first one they did.

IMO if they are going to mess with the property, I think they should work on a sequel set after the evolution on the new world. Since we all know how this is supposed to work despite the high note, it would actually be kind of interesting if they used that audience knowlege of the "this has happened before, it will happen again" thing to have someone derail the entire process, break the cycle, and restore free will so to speak. Maybe having someone from the Galactica playing Hari Seldon (Asimov referance), using their understanding of the revelation to start a secret society to keep an eye out for this, or perhaps records designed to be triggered should similar events seem to be transpiring again. Maybe both in a true "First" and "Second" foundation style.

Of course then again I'd rather they took the money they are investing in this and would launch a new project. Enough with the trippy Cylon space angels already. ;)

AC Medina

Oct 12, 2009
Still Life said:
What happened to Caprica? That series had a lot of promise.
Sadly, SyFy screwed with it just enough to make it die.

Although, to be honest, I think the show was always a little too smart and not action-oriented enough to appeal to the average viewer and really have a long run. Still, it's a shame it had to be so cut short when they had such a great story to tell.