Rage Trailer Ushers In Armageddon

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rage Trailer Ushers In Armageddon

If Bruce Willis hadn't blown up that asteroid, we might have all been living in the world of Rage, though perhaps "living" is too strong a word.

Rage doesn't look as unique as it once did when development began in an age before Fallout 3 and Borderlands - the two games it is most often compared to. That doesn't mean it doesn't still look good, though: I saw the game at PAX [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/paxprime2010/8080-PAX-2010-Rage-Preview] and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The long-in-the-making game, which is id Software's first new IP in a decade, is scheduled to finally hit shelves this September. Bethesda and id have released a new trailer to celebrate finally having a release date, and it does a pretty good job at hyping viewers up.

In all fairness, it's nothing we haven't seen before (other than the release date). Earth gets hit by an asteroid, civilization is wiped out other than arks that are buried underground, but humanity manages to rebuild hundreds of years later in the post-apocalyptic wasteland. Your character wakes up from one of the arks in an unfamiliar world and must get by by shooting a lot of people. In the face.

There's a nice mix of gameplay footage here that covers both vehicular combat and on-foot gunplay. While the shots go by pretty quickly, I can't help but marvel at the outdoor environments - the idTech 5 engine is looking seriously nice, and it's a shame that id has no plans to license it out. Perhaps publisher Bethesda could put it to good use with the next Fallout or whatever Elder Scrolls they make beyond Skyrim?

Rage is out September 13th. Don't miss it!

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
That isn't a new trailer. Have you linked to the wrong one?

Edit: Either that, or it's a very slightly modified version of an old one.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
jebussaves88 said:

Take it up with Bethesda; it's the trailer they've pushed out to everyone. :p

It's new to me, anyway!

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Ohhhh, I dont swoon over graphics often, but im loving how well Rage has come over the years, Fantastic use of colour too, they could have ended up with something brown/grey like other post-apoc's but i noticed some great use there.

And yeah, did get a bit of Daja vu over this too :p

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
jebussaves88 said:

Yeah, that is what I thought... either it is an old one, or they just took bits and pieces from older trailers then pieced them together and called it new...

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Meh. Fallen Earth, Fallout 3, the impending Bulletstorm... I think I'm burning out on post-apoc junk strewn wastelands.

I'm still interested, but mainly because it's running on the same engine that'll be used for Doom 4.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
John Funk said:
jebussaves88 said:

Take it up with Bethesda; it's the trailer they've pushed out to everyone. :p

It's new to me, anyway!
Did some looking, and a good deal of it is old trailer cut scenes, with only about ten seconds worth of new footage. Kinda lazy, but it is still a good trailer, so why mess too much I guess.

Samus Aaron

Apr 3, 2010
SteelStallion said:
The art style is way too similar to the Fallout franchise. I swear you could take a few of those screenshots and pass them off as Fallout 4 or something.
To be fair, Rage was in development before Fallout 3 was even announced, so don't be so quick to pass it off as a clone, if that was what you were implying.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
This has gotten me three notches more interested in it then i used to be..

I just pray to god its not as bug ridden as the Fallout games..
If its not, then this game looks to be made of win..

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
SteelStallion said:
Samus Aaron said:
SteelStallion said:
The art style is way too similar to the Fallout franchise. I swear you could take a few of those screenshots and pass them off as Fallout 4 or something.
To be fair, Rage was in development before Fallout 3 was even announced, so don't be so quick to pass it off as a clone, if that was what you were implying.
I didn't say Fallout 3. Fallout dates back wayyy before RAGE was even a concept, and the art style remained relatively the same.

But anyway I wasn't implying that it was a clone, it was atleast inspired though. There's just really strong similarities to how it handles the "Post apocalyptic" world.
Or... the designers have seen Mad Max and that is largely what shaped their view of a post apocalyptic earth... like it did for... well... everyone.

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
But 99942 Apophis isn't big enough to be a civilization ending asteroid. It would be unpleasant if it hit, but why didn't they just make up an asteroid that would give a proper civilization ending? Come up with a quick pseudo science reason for 1036 Ganymed to hit us, we'd feel that one. For bonus tropes, have it happen because of a science experiment because science is eeeevil!

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Don't care how much people compare this too Fallout. This just looks epic, fun and awesome. I am definitely getting this when it comes out.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Desworks said:
But 99942 Apophis isn't big enough to be a civilization ending asteroid. It would be unpleasant if it hit, but why didn't they just make up an asteroid that would give a proper civilization ending? Come up with a quick pseudo science reason for 1036 Ganymed to hit us, we'd feel that one. For bonus tropes, have it happen because of a science experiment because science is eeeevil!
You're a member of the 0.01% of the population who knows what Apophis is, I just assumed it was a made up meteor/plot device. That being said the game surely doesn't span the whole world so who can say what other places look like.

Also am I the only one who is seeing a touch of Bioshock and Tribes in this?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Something feels off about those cutscenes with the cowboy guy and the fat man at the end, it's a bit to heavy I think (but that's my inner animation-nut nitpicking).

Rage certainly looks interesting, but I haven't really seen too much from it to get me hyped up. It's a blip on my radar to say the least.

Michael O'Hair

Jul 29, 2010
The post-apoc theme is getting wearisome after hours (days? I've lost count) spent in The Capital and Mojave Wastelands. I'm definitely looking forward to the vehicle combat sections, but not so much the shooting sequences; it's id, they do it better than anyone else, but it's all that they can do well. The gun drone brought back flashbacks of Doom 3, at least ones that could be SEEN! Not expecting bugs in this release as it is, after all, an id product first and foremost and not one from Brokesda Bugworks (id was purchased by ZeniMax, owner of Bethesda Softworks, and hopefully they have the good sense to keep the two houses separate). I'll reserve final judgment until the background story is story is revealed. At least there will be fewer cyber-skull castles. Possibly.