214: Home Alone

Jonathan Glover

Aug 7, 2009
Home Alone

What happens when you venture into a multiplayer world with the sole purpose of playing a single-player game? In one player's experience, you find a pretty cold reception. Jon Glover chronicles his lonely trek through PlayStation Home.

Read Full Article

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
This article sums up my feelings of HOME.
Its the loneliest social networking device ever created.

Sad.
So sad.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
Rather pitiful in a way, a bleak picture of Home. I sympathise though my gaming experances are nearly always single player and I much prefer it that way. There are two many idiots in the world to make multiplayer games good.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
hehe, i found your misfortunes entertaining

but i dont think i ever will want to enter playstation home, im not all that social adn theres a million good game si could use my PS3 for instead :p

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
HOME is a prime case-study for "John Gabriel's Greater Internet F%$#wad Theory:"
(Normal person + anonymity + audience = Total F%$#wad).

I don't see why the PS3 feels the need to force you to interact with the great unwashed masses of the Internet in order to play a single-player experience. HOME has been seen as a failure since before its launch, and with little content and crowd control it's only attracted the lowliest of the scum, the kind that in Victorian times would be stalking the filthy back-alleys and ogling the prostitutes.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Great article, John Tesh! I laughed heartily at your misfortunes. Mistake #1 was not dressing yourself in mallrat finery and strolling around the virtual promenade making fun of other avatars for their race / sexual orientation / gender / choice in corporate apparel. It's called First Strike, y'know? Mistake # 0.5 was logging on to Home in the first place.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
"Unfortunately, I never did. My interactions with other people consisted of me arriving during awkward pauses of conversation while the other parties involved waited for the hulking, disfigured John Tesh lookalike standing within breath mint distance to return to whatever bog he'd lumbered out from."

I laughed so hard a tear formed in my eye. A good read, and a pretty solid example of what Home is as opposed to what it was meant to be.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I've seen a couple of furries wandering around home.
I don't want to know where they got the costumes.

Home was a drag when it started out but it is getting more interesting. There's more game spaces with things to do and less pathetic virgins harassing every female avatar (which is probably an old pervert 85% of the time).

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
This unfortunate trip through Home you've taken the time to write and share with us makes me wonder what would happen to an avatar in Home if it had a wheel chair. You see people with strange avatars on Xbox Live and think..."That's Awesome!"...or..."I wish I though of that first!"...not realizing that the person who created the avatar doesn't give a shit what you think of it and accepts your praise when sent to him or her when such praise is probably sarcastic anyway.

As you've described on Home its like your avatar was a couple of bolts and a huge forehead stitch away from being chased with pitchforks and torches (if such items could be downloaded and held by home avatars). Good luck in the future Jonathan Glover....hmm....that would make a good movie title.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
This is why I stay away from avatar stuff. In BF43, only your skills count
(THE REAPER MECH)

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
This is the curse of humanity.
the few that divide the many.
Those people who insult because they lack a reason.
and a reason why I stay away from things like the PS3 and home/Second life.
I'll stick to my games.
and The Escapist.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
I logged on to PS3's Home and played an hour using the drawers to create walls and rooms. I never realized that you could leave that studio. When you leave can you drag the stuff you made in your studio outside?

civver

May 15, 2009
Not responding to other people nets a cold reception. Gee, I bet nobody could have seen that coming.

Grand_Marquis

Feb 9, 2009
What a horrifying account of Home. See, this is why I avoid social networking systems in general. Zero tolerance for newcomers. Made even more obnoxious by the fact that Home is, itself, new.