Sega Timeline

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Sega Timeline

Everything you've always wanted to know about Sega, in convenient easy-to-swallow form!

Read Full Article

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Huh, I saw that periscope game in an episode of Wonder Woman, didn't know Sega made that. In the episode a female character proves she can count cards by being good at it (I am oversimplifying but I kid you not)

Apr 28, 2008
I really hope they re-release the Shenmue games on one disk. I would buy that in a heardbeat.

Same with the Power Stone games. And yes I know about the PSP version, and I bought it, but I'd like a console release.

cschraer

Jul 14, 2010
Powerstone anyone?

Also isn't the Total War series doing pretty well? I thought that was published by Sega.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
wait, I thought that tye Playstation was a failed thing between Nintendo and Sony, where does SEGA fit in?

Snork Maiden

Snork snork
Nov 25, 2009
Irridium said:
I really hope they re-release the Shenmue games on one disk. I would buy that in a heardbeat.

Same with the Power Stone games. And yes I know about the PSP version, and I bought it, but I'd like a console release.
Forget re-releasing Shenmue. Make Shenmue 3 already.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
It might have failed in America but the Master System and Mega Drive did well in Europe; the Nintendo actually did worse over here. I remember the classics; Double Dragon, Splatterhouse, Golden Axe, Afterburner, Alex The Kid, Mortal Kombat, Shinobi... I should probably dig out the old beast and see if she still works.

Kraiger

Jul 16, 2008
The time-line was good but you probably should have mentioned that Sega of Japan forced Sega of America to practically close its doors.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I always was (and will be) a Nintendo fan, but somehow, I always find Sega's history quite fascinating.

Maybe because I never owned a propper Sega console or because they have a lot of drama and mistakes, like a greek tragedy, and no matter how many times I see or hear the same history, I always find fascinating Sega's history.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Huh. So Sega Rejected Sony as well?

How did this work out exactly?

From a design perspective, the Playstation being a derivative of an SNES CD unit makes sense looking at the controller, but now Sega factors into it as well somehow?

Did Sony run into problems with Nintendo and then take it's plans to Sega or something? Weird.

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
It always saddens me every time I read or heart about the demise of the Dreamcast. To me the Dreamcast might have been better than the Genesis. I could die a happy man if I could finish the Shenmue story

2up

Jun 15, 2009
I don't really visit IGN anymore, but I remember them having a nice article written about the history of SEGA a few years back.

http://retro.ign.com/articles/974/974695p1.html

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I knew I liked Sega for some reason. I'm not the only one who has irrational dislike of Sony (course, they may be somewhat rational).

I feel bad for Sega. So ambitious, but they just can't compete with the big boys. Just imagine if Sega could have continued making systems. a 4-way console race would be insane... er...

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
cschraer said:
Powerstone anyone?

Also isn't the Total War series doing pretty well? I thought that was published by Sega.
Power Stone was AWESOME!

...and with all of SEGA's money and tech I'm surprised they haven't started a new console age like they always do

SEGA sets the bar
everyone has to beat it
(and eventually does)

Vault Citizen said:
wait, I thought that tye Playstation was a failed thing between Nintendo and Sony, where does SEGA fit in?
I've no idea what you're talking about, the only Nintendo vs Sony thing I can think of is the Release of Final Fantasy 7

it started on the SNES, was moved to the 64 (made 3D), then when they saw the PlayStation they saw how much they could fit on DISKS (instead of cartridges)

...that's really the only "Nintendo vs Sony" I can think of for the age

and the reason the N64/GC didn't have normal CD's (or any CD's) like everyone else was because Nintendo was aiming at giving games low loading times, instead of fancy graphics

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
SilverUchiha said:
I knew I liked Sega for some reason. I'm not the only one who has irrational dislike of Sony (course, they may be somewhat rational).

I feel bad for Sega. So ambitious, but they just can't compete with the big boys. Just imagine if Sega could have continued making systems. a 4-way console race would be insane... er...
"SEGA releases the RING"

OH GOD IT HAS VR AND REAL 3D!
AND IT HAS CPU/GRAPHICS CHIP THAT RIVALS COMPUTER GAMERS!?!?!
AND IT'S CONSOLES HAVE THE ABILITY TO SUPPORT MMO SIZED SERVERS!?!?!

...too bad it's only an arcade machine and not a console
and too bad it was split into 2 types (Ring-Wide and Ring-Edge... Edge was better [more cutting edge] Wide... idk wide screen?)

Off Note: what the heck kind of ReCaptcha is "234 9876"

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
McBurks said:
I still have my Dreamcast, but not my 2 favorite games: PowerStone 1 and 2.
Resident Evil 2
Slave Zero
Power Stone 2
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Soul Calibur
Crazy Taxi
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
SEGA Sports NFL 2k
Draconus Cult of the Wyrm
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Dinosaur
Rayman 2
Unreal Tournament
Phantasy Star Online

Any of those ring a bell or strike your fancy?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I had stuck with sega from the genesis, even had the saturn, and of course the dreamcast, but they kept making the wrong decisions.

Dreamcast had such a huge following, if they only stuck with it, they'd have improved instead of shitting on the memory of sonic with awful nintendo games.

Dammit Sega, being a fan of you is like being a fan of the Chicago Bears... You put on a good show, but completely choke when it counts.

achilleas.k

Apr 11, 2009
Vault Citizen said:
CrystalShadow said:
Huh. So Sega Rejected Sony as well?

How did this work out exactly?

From a design perspective, the Playstation being a derivative of an SNES CD unit makes sense looking at the controller, but now Sega factors into it as well somehow?

Did Sony run into problems with Nintendo and then take it's plans to Sega or something? Weird.
WOPR said:
I've no idea what you're talking about, the only Nintendo vs Sony thing I can think of is the Release of Final Fantasy 7

it started on the SNES, was moved to the 64 (made 3D), then when they saw the PlayStation they saw how much they could fit on DISKS (instead of cartridges)

...that's really the only "Nintendo vs Sony" I can think of for the age

and the reason the N64/GC didn't have normal CD's (or any CD's) like everyone else was because Nintendo was aiming at giving games low loading times, instead of fancy graphics
I had the exact same thought as VaultCitizen and CrystalShadow while reading. I distinctly remember a SNES CD being in the works back in the day. Then when the idea was scrapped the Playstation was born and everyone always wondered what would've happened if Sony just stuck with Nintendo.

Can someone clear that up?

Quoting Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation]:
"The console's origins date back to 1986 where it was originally a joint project between Nintendo and Sony to create a CD-ROM for the Super Famicom/SNES console." (reference: "Game Over", by David Scheff).