Sony: 3D and Portable Devices Don't Mix

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sony: 3D and Portable Devices Don't Mix

Sony could have given its new NGP 3D capabilities similar to that of the Nintendo 3DS, but opted not to.

As of late, Sony has been making a strong push to get 3D technology into consumers' homes with its 3D-capable TVs and 3D-capable PS3. Yet the hardware giant has been content to let Nintendo make its mass-market 3D push with the 3DS - why not try something similar with its newly revealed Next-Generation Portable [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107321-Sony-Finally-Confirms-New-PSP]?

"We view 3D as having the greatest potential, in the near term, in what I would call a dedicated entertainment environment," Sony Europe boss Andrew House told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-27-sony-3d-not-right-for-portable-devices]. "And that's in the home, around the television, and where it's a shared experience. I think that's really important. We struggle a little bit to see how that 3D, shared experience translates to portable devices as they currently stand."

In other words, Sony wants the whole family to rub their eyes from eyestrain on the comfort of their couch, not by themselves sitting in bed at night. According to House, Sony had experimented with similar 3D-capable screens like the ones used in the 3DS, but had decided against it.

Not to give undue criticism to Sony here, but didn't it also say similar things regarding force feedback in controllers (absent from the original Sixaxis) and motion control technology? If the 3DS sells like three-dimensional hotcakes, we could see a change in tune.

Of course, it's not really a bad thing to take ideas that have been proven to do well. There's no shame in saying "Hey, that's a cool idea, we should use it for ourselves."

(Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-27-sony-3d-not-right-for-portable-devices])

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
This is up just minutes after Nintendo decided not to comment on Sony's new device... it almost feels as though one is taking the 'high-road' and not saying anything to keep things clean, and the other is taking a bit of a low-jab. But I guess, in the end, what I really care about is how good the games on each system are, and not what each company has to say about the other.

Though I personally think all 3-D that requires goofy glasses is doomed to fail on some level as I doubt most people would care for them. In this case though, they could be right on the subject. With the 3DS's limited 3D range (in which you have to look at it in a certain way to see the effect), it could end badly on a mobile platform in which you could be forced into a position that is unable to see it or even are forced to move around out of vision (bumpy plane/car rides and such).

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
John Funk said:
Not to give undue criticism to Sony here, but didn't it also say similar things regarding force feedback in controllers (absent from the original Sixaxis) and motion control technology? If the 3DS sells like three-dimensional hotcakes, we could see a change in tune.
Don't forget touchscreens. I'm certain a Sony spokesperson was even quoted saying that the PSP's successor would not be equipped with one.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well the handheld lineup this generation is quite comparable to the last one. Nintendo has the new-age gimmick and Sony is trying to aim towards gamers. Not sure if Apples iPad should be considered a gaming platform as much as it is a micro-laptop.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Sony really should learn to keep it's big mouth shut.

I remember the PS3 coming out and their desperately trying to make the lack of rumble in the controllers a selling point. We all knew they were really saying shit we just lost a court case don't look DON'T LOOK. Two years ago they were trying to put a positive spin on the PS3's rapid feature cutting when we all knew they meant shit it's too expensive to make, we've got to make it worse to make money don't look DON'T LOOK. Now they're screaming shit our R&D failed quick don't look DON'T LOOK!.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Now there's going to be a lot of very vocal questioning of why the PSP2 has no 3-D, which will double or triple when the 3DS turns out to be a success, if they'd just kept their big PR mouth shut a lot less notice would have been taken. Probably.

Oh well, the Sony PR catastrophe machine rolls on.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
I think Sony might actually be right on this one. I just can't imagine having a 3D handheld on a bus or long car ride, it seems like the motion would throw off the 3D and just make it headache inducing. I recall reading the 3DS is best viewed flat on a table, but haven't heard much about how badly movement effects the 3D technology.

XtremeMuffin

Dec 16, 2009
They just released a Wii-mote for the PS3 and are releasing a Portable gaming system with a touch screen. So, in like 5 years or so they'll be coming out with 3D on NGP-Go or some nonsense.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
mindlesspuppet said:
I think Sony might actually be right on this one. I just can't imagine having a 3D handheld on a bus or long car ride, it seems like the motion would throw off the 3D and just make it headache inducing. I recall reading the 3DS is best viewed flat on a table, but haven't heard much about how badly movement effects the 3D technology.
If shakiness is that much of an issue, I can't imagine the motion controls built into both the 3DS and the NGP to be very useful.

At least 90% of the time, it really isn't an issue.

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
sounds like someones upset they got beaten to the punch on a 3d handheld and are doing a tantrum by saying they won't work.

krychek57

Some Random Dude
Apr 13, 2010
Not having 3D just makes this more interesting to me.
The technology is great and all, but I don't have faith in long term development of quality titles for a 3D market.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
I actually don't want it to have 3D capability. It'd be a battery sucker, an big eyesore, and an even bigger sale price. Sony is just going for the "keep it simple, stupid" method. Which is fine. There's no reason to go 3D on this one. As much as I love 3D.

euro2019

Jan 10, 2011
To be honest I can't stand 3D. I've seen 3D TV's and 3D games on Nvidia 3D monitors and I can safely say I'm not impressed by it. I think Sony's decision to focus on games and gameplay as opposed to more stupid gimmicks is the right thing to do. BTW unless 3D (properly filmed) is on a 50foot screen..its not that great either.

XtremeMuffin said:
They just released a Wii-mote for the PS3 and are releasing a Portable gaming system with a touch screen. So, in like 5 years or so they'll be coming out with 3D on NGP-Go or some nonsense.

The Move uses a camera that tracks a big colored ball +bluetooth , while the Wiiremote uses IR/bluetooth.

The camera proves to be far more accurate.

Not a big fan of either , but just because Nintendo brought the gimmick out first on a next gen console doesn't necessarily mean Sony "copied" their idea. They merely took the concept and made it better. All the while the Xbox Kinect pushed the limits even further making you the controller.

Not a big fan of motion controls, i just like a simple set of buttons to be honest. Glad they didn't go with the gimmick of 3D, its totally unnecessary. Especially on a small screen like that... but that's just my two cents.

Edit: I think bringing in another gimmick just makes way for about 50 other bullshit titles to be brought in whose gameplay will be less than mediocre.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
It seems to me that if Sony had managed to add 3D to its list of NGP features, it would have stolen almost every shred of Nintendo's thunder aside from "it's Nintendo." I mean, aside from 3D and Nintendo, what unique aspect does the 3DS have to its name? Sony could have turned the 3DS into a "budget NGP" in one fell swoop - instead, the current setup makes them look like competing devices with differing featuresets - different, functionally separate platforms, as it were.

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
I can see where Sony is coming from...

But come on, wouldn't it be hilarious if, because of the 3D on the 3DS, it way out sold the NGP?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I would usually be quite happy that folks aren't jumping on the bandwagon, but the 3DS is an impressive piece of tech that I will definiately be investing in. Maybe it's just me, but I'd say this is a swing and a miss for Sony.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I can say, with a large degree of certainty, that the 3DS will sell well. Nintendo has had a near spotless track record when it comes to handheld systems. Perhaps it's largest advantage is the ability to control the level of 3D or shut it off completely. It's a new Nintendo handheld, it's going to sell!

Also, Sony is the largest pusher of 3D out there, saying what they are saying is like shooting yourself in the foot. It almost sounds like they are saying it's okay when they do 3D, but when someone else does it, it's wrong.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
"Of course, it's not really a bad thing to take ideas that have been proven to do well. There's no shame in saying "Hey, that's a LUCRATIVE idea, we should use it for ourselves.""

#Corrections

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
euro2019 said:
The Move uses a camera that tracks a big colored ball +bluetooth , while the Wiiremote uses IR/bluetooth.

The camera proves to be far more accurate.

Not a big fan of either , but just because Nintendo brought the gimmick out first on a next gen console doesn't necessarily mean Sony "copied" their idea. They merely took the concept and made it better. All the while the Xbox Kinect pushed the limits even further making you the controller.

Not a big fan of motion controls, i just like a simple set of buttons to be honest. Glad they didn't go with the gimmick of 3D, its totally unnecessary. Especially on a small screen like that... but that's just my two cents.

Edit: I think bringing in another gimmick just makes way for about 50 other bullshit titles to be brought in whose gameplay will be less than mediocre.
I'm with you on the 3D part, I can't really stand it. But your incorrect on the assumption the Move is more accurate than a Wiimote. All testing has proven they are basically the same. The only difference is the response of the system/games when it loses contact with the controller.

As for your edit, I hope to god they don't try to do with 3D what they did with a the Wiimote. And by that I mean use the device in a "use just because it's there" capacity. There will of course be a large influx of uselessly 3D things for the first few months, but I'm hoping companies learned from the Wiimote fiasco.