204: Sonic the Hamilton

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Sonic the Hamilton

Hip hop's concerns with sex, drugs and violence are no secret to anyone, but what about its love of videogames, comic books and cult movies? The fascination with geek culture has always been there. The latest incarnation of this is hip hop artist Charles Hamilton who, with his interest in Sonic, is taking that obsession to a whole new Zone.

Read Full Article

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Funny to read this when a friend of mine, through a MMO, is a rapper. He doesn't overtly include much by way of gaming, but I can see some of it tying in when he gets away from the more stereotypical topics.

Gaming and many different types of music have stronger ties than many realise. The same is very true of gamers and the Metal genre (all sub-genres included, you just need to poke around a little into death-glam-nerd-Metal) with many different artists being nerds in their own right. A hell of a lot of metalheads are gamers too, the same fair enough to say of rappers.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Awesome piece Tom, never in a million years would I have thought anyone on this site would even know about Charles Hamilton, let alone write an article about him. A shame you didn't mention MF DOOM, with his persona ever changing from a Dr DOOM like persona, to an alien from outer space, to a half DOOM half mouse hybrid. Not to mention ytCracker, and a host of other Nerdcore rappers.

I've been following Charles Hamilton for a while now, and I have all of his mix-tapes, and I do see him bringing geek culture and intelligence back to the mainstream of hip hop music. Sonic The Hamilton is an awesome mix-tape that I can't stop listening to.

Either way, great piece, shame it won't see past a page or two considering how badly hip hop is vilified around here, and keep it up.

P.S. As for the violence money and drugs, well it's there but I feel like perhaps it should have been emphasised that it's in the mainstream moreso than anything, but that's a minor gripe.

revolverwolf

Jul 1, 2008
I tried to listen. I honestly did.

But I just couldn't.

It must be my uncontrollable rage for all things hip hop.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
Is Sonic the Hamilton anything like Sonic the Ham [http://www.eegra.com/show/sub/do/browse/cat/comics/id/72]?

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
Okay, what's with all the hip-hop related articles this morning?
Are you trolling, or just not paying attention to this week's theme?

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
I normally hate rap, but that was actually quite good.

SOMEONE GET THAT "PIMP ASS N****" A GENESIS! NOW!

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Good read. It'd be a shame to not give credit to Del the Funky Homosapiens superb sci-fi album Deltron 3030 and his work as Deltron.

Nueromancer, Fallout games, Mechwarrior, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, the guy's references are subtle and impeccable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7_jbluF0qo