Science Draws Healthy Stem Cells From Diseased Husks

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Science Draws Healthy Stem Cells From Diseased Husks

Researchers have discovered a breakthrough in genetic engineering that may also offer scientists a new, less controversial source of viable human stem cells.

In case you've been living under a poorly furnished rock for the last 15 years, stem cells are cells within the human body with the unique capability to grow into any other cell. Given the implications presented by stem cell technology and its ability to renew otherwise finite limits of cells found in crucial organs (such as the brain and the heart), you can imagine its uses.

The problem however, is that most current sources of stem cells come from unborn fetuses. Conservatives and the religious set see the harvesting of these cells as abortion (if only by proxy).

A recently published study conducted by a team at the Salk Institute in La Jolla, California, has seemingly discovered a new source for these valuable cells: Once diseased cells that science is now able to repair through the magic of genetic alteration.

From the New Scientist write up [http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17214-diseased-cells-transformed-into-healthy-stem-cells.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news]:

Juan Carlos Izpisúa Belmonte of the Salk Institute in La Jolla, California, and his colleagues in the US and Europe harvested fibroblast cells from the skin of patients with the bone marrow disease Fanconi anaemia, then used standard gene-therapy viruses to replace the defective genes with normal ones.

The researchers then used a second virus to "reset" the cells to their embryonic condition. These induced pluripotent stem cells, or iPS cells, are capable of differentiating into any of the tissues of the body. Indeed, the researchers showed that given the right stimuli, their iPS cells differentiated into disease-free progenitors of bone marrow stem cells.

The new discovery is far from perfect though. Belmonte admits that the newly repaired cells are "prone to become cancerous," but claims his team of lab coat ninjas are working hard to amend this glaring issue.

On the other hand, this breakthrough is a huge boon for medical science. Otherwise fatal brain damage could be mended, genetic diseases could be both combated and cured, and stereotypical mad scientists everywhere would finally have something to replace Pu-240 on their Christmas lists.

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/artsyscience/2367009480/])

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Yeahhh.. cancer's a bit of a downside. On the other hand, we could give it to all those nasty politicians who opposed this research in the first place.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Since when did we have a capacity to reset stem cells to their totipotent stage? Being able to do that would be a lot more important than the capacity to 'heal' steam cells in terms of this research, I would have thought.

Mind you, things go wrong when I try thinking.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
This is very, very good news. Provided they can rid of the minor side effect that is cancer, this should be a very good thing.
Labyrinth said:
On the other hand, we could give it to all those nasty politicians who opposed this research in the first place.
Seconded. It never ceases to amaze me that people continue to oppose this research even after hearing about all the good it could do.
Earnest Cavalli said:
stereotypical mad scientists everywhere would finally have something to replace Pu-240 on their Christmas lists.
But... stem cells allow us to prolong life! The Pu-240 allows me to power the orbital laser that will destroy life! Nothing is more important than plutonium, nothing!

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
I'm sure the religious folks/politicians will find someway to be against this morally, even if they get rid of the cancer issue.

Seriously though? I'm not too hopeful, the last time scientists found a good way to produce stem cells the clergy/politicians were in an uproar because of animal/human hybrids. It's sickening that people in power can use their uneducated views to prevent good research.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
The new discovery is far from perfect though. Belmonte admits that the newly repaired cells are "prone to become cancerous," but claims his team of lab coat ninjas are working hard to amend this glaring issue.
Earnest, has anyone ever told you you're awesome?

This is really a pretty good idea. Hopefully the far right conservatives who oppose this will be appeased (though normally I hate pandering to them) and it still leads to a great and much neede breakthrough in medical science. I fully approve :)

I'm Trivun and I approve this message.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Drawing healthy stem cells from diseased husks, eh?

Sounds like a good idea and it's certainly a bold step for science.

But why can't I shake the feeling that this is somehow ominous? Is this the next Uroboros virus

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
*Smack!*

See? If you just waited for technology to catch up, you wouldn't have had to destroy all those human embryos.

This is very good news though

The Mess

May 9, 2009
This isn't entirely new stuff;
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/21/science/21stem.html?_r=1
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007/11/stem_cell_breakthrough.php#more
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/425822/1469456

And since NewScientist are lazy, here's the direct link to the paper;
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/abs/nature08129.html

What they've done which is "new" is mostly succesful gene therapy on the recovered fibroblasts, then used a similar method to Takahashi et al, (looking at the the paper). Only they don't use c-Myc as one of the means to transform the cells, which acts as a proof of concept that stem cell transforms can be done with out c-Myc, as it's associated with a risk of tumour formation. There's also some neat stuff in the discussion on maintaining pluripotent stem-cell state.

But, the bad news, the method they use for transforming the fibroblasts into stemcells suffers a similar lack of efficiency to the one done by the Japanese team in the third link. Which potentially limits the practical applications of their stem cell transform methodology.

(w00t access to Nature is back, f*cking Uni-IT fubars)