New Superman Movie Finds its Hero

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New Superman Movie Finds its Hero

It's second-time-lucky for the new Man of Steel, after narrowly missing out on the lead in Superman Returns.

British actor Henry Cavill has won the lead role in Zack Snyder's upcoming superhero-reboot, Superman: Man of Steel. Cavill is likely best known for his role in the TV show, The Tudors, in which he played the part of Charles Brandon, the First Duke of Sussex.

In a statement, Snyder said that Superman was the top of the superhero tree, and that he was honored to be part of the character's return to the big screen. Snyder also said that he was excited by Cavill's casting - as were the film's producers - and thought that the actor was "perfect" for the role. The aforementioned producers include The Dark Knight and Inception director Christopher Nolan, who is said to be contributing significant creative input to the production. Indeed, Nolan has already had some pretty significant input, as he helped screenwriter David S. Goyer come up with the story for the movie.

Interestingly, this is not the first time that someone has cast Cavill as the Man of Steel. Back in 2004, Cavill was officially attached to the project that would later become Superman Returns. When Bryan Singer took over as director, however, he decided to cast Brandon Routh instead.

By all accounts, the script for the movie that Cavill nearly starred in was a pretty big departure from comics, with Superman sent to Earth to protect him from a civil war, and concluding with him returning to the planet - which didn't explode in this version - to rule it as its king. It's debatable whether it would have been a good movie or not, but it doesn't sound much like a Superman movie.

Superman: Man of Steel is scheduled for release in December 2012.

Source: Coming Soon [http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=73652]

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
I'm looking forward to how this turns out, I'm not fully on board yet though. I actually liked Superman Returns.

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
What was wrong with Brendan Routh Dammit!? He was a great re-imagaining or Christophr Reeve, from the look, to the style of acting to the Kermit Clark Kent voice. And what is it with Re-boots? Just continue the story, is that so difficult?

Re-boot is another word for cop out if you ask me. Oh, we didn't know where to take the story from here, so we just started again. This is cinema people, not Etch-a-Sketch!

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
To continue my rant though, it comes out in December of 2012. I hope that it is before the 12th, we'll all be dead otherwise!

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
Batfred said:
What was wrong with Brendan Routh Dammit!? He was a great re-imagaining or Christophr Reeve, from the look, to the style of acting to the Kermit Clark Kent voice. And what is it with Re-boots? Just continue the story, is that so difficult?

Re-boot is another word for cop out if you ask me. Oh, we didn't know where to take the story from here, so we just started again. This is cinema people, not Etch-a-Sketch!
As much as I enjoyed Superman Returns, it did continue the story.. from a movie in the 1980s. Nobody knew what the hell was going on because it was a sequel.

Superman needs a reboot to bring it on par with that other popular DC movie franchise...

And I liked Brandon Routh too, but his performance as Superman paled in comparison to his performance as Kent.

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
Autofaux said:
Batfred said:

As much as I enjoyed Superman Returns, it did continue the story.. from a movie in the 1980s. Nobody knew what the hell was going on because it was a sequel.

Superman needs a reboot to bring it on par with that other popular DC movie franchise...

And I liked Brandon Routh too, but his performance as Superman paled in comparison to his performance as Kent.
Fair points for any other re-boot, but this is Superman. Every kid has seen the original films and it was well explained. I'm Superman, I went away, but now I'm back. Oh look, the woman I love has a kid and has moved on and the world needs me now more than ever. Not exactly Shakespeare, but that's part of the appeal.

Why does it need a reboot? Batman was only re-booted because it was down the pan and the IP was worth nothing after Schumacher and Verhoeven had their ways. This was the only way it could go.
Superman doesn't need it though. You ask the critics and they hated Returns. You ask the money paying public and most of us thought that it was a fun movie with a bit of story and loads of cool action and set-pieces that we all love and want from a super hero film.

Finally, I completely agree. Routh's CK was great, but the Superman was wooden. Hey, that's the role though. Superman is a wooden one dimensional character. Look at Reeves. His Superman in The Movie was worse than Keanu on a good day. 2 was a superb film that any acting was forgiveable in and 3 was a chance to show how well he could act as Kyrptonited Superman (we don't talk about Quest for Peace).

Don't get me wrong, I am excited about this, I just feel a little cheated and as if Snyder wants to do his thing and to hell with the rest of usand what we want.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
Autofaux said:
I liked Brandon Routh but his performance as Superman paled in comparison to his performance as Kent.
I feel the exact same way about Christian Bale as Batman. I love his Bruce Wayne. I'm not a particular fan of his Batman.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Autofaux said:
Batfred said:

Agreed.......Superman Returns WAS a good movie!!!!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
hmm anyone else thinks he a manlier looking Paul Walker in that picture or is it just me? XD

Well he certainly looks the part ^-^ and it got to be good luck to be picked the second time around for a movie with Christopher "He can do no wrong with comic superheros" Nolan involved. heh

Batfred said:
To continue my rant though, it comes out in December of 2012. I hope that it is before the 12th, we'll all be dead otherwise!
dec 21 im sure you just mistyped :)

Tho having it released on the 21th would be awesome eh! the day we're all doom is the day Superman returns again XD a bit of inspiration before our ultimate demise heh

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
Batfred said:
Why does it need a reboot? Batman was only re-booted because it was down the pan and the IP was worth nothing after Schumacher and Verhoeven had their ways. This was the only way it could go.
Verhoeven? I'm pretty sure he wasn't involved with the Batman films in any way.

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
SamElliot said:
Batfred said:
Verhoeven? I'm pretty sure he wasn't involved with the Batman films in any way.
My bad, he was originally down as a producer in it's inception if you believe Empire of many years ago. However Batman & Robin was so bad that I have never forgiven anyone even slightly or fomerly linked with that film.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Hmmm. He was okay in the Tudors... but I don't know if I can see him as Superman. We shall see.

I'm just glad they didn't go with the fans choice of Tom Welling. The guy employs all of three expressions in his 10 year run on Smallville. And it took me ten years to even figure out he had three.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Keith K said:
Autofaux said:
I liked Brandon Routh but his performance as Superman paled in comparison to his performance as Kent.
I feel the exact same way about Christian Bale as Batman. I love his Bruce Wayne. I'm not a particular fan of his Batman.
I'd like to see you say that to his face when he's all growly.

OT: Meh, never been that interested in Superman.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Batfred said:

Completely agree. Brandon Routh was perfect, a great successor to Reeve. There was definitely no need to get a new actor.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Hopefully Superman won't be a creepy asshole and/or get upstaged by a normal human in this new one...

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Hmm, wonder if it's going to be an adaptation of Superman: True Brit?

John Cleese could do the writing for the movie too ala the comic, it'd be awesome :3