Publisher Almost Scrapped the First GTA

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Publisher Almost Scrapped the First GTA

One of gaming's biggest series almost never made it off the ground.

These days, Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto series is easily one of gaming's most prominent landmarks. But things could have been very different, once upon a time - the first GTA was at one point in such bad shape that the publisher wanted to can the project entirely, says one of the original designers.

"[The original GTA] was a real mess for years, it never moved on, it never went anywhere," Gary Penn - who worked on the 1997 title (1998 in North America) while at DMA Design - told Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/32743/Penn_First_Grand_Theft_Auto_Was_Almost_Canned.php]. "It was almost canned. The publisher, BMG Interactive, wanted to can it, as it didn't seem to be going anywhere."

Development was hampered by bugs and crashes, said Penn, which meant it difficult to test any features the team actually implemented. "There are probably two key things it fell down on. Two critical things. One of them is stability, which is a really boring one but it crashed all the f*cking time. So even if you did get something in the game, you couldn't really test it."

Given that the core of GTA involved driving cars, you would hope that the game's vehicle mechanics would work well - but that was the other problem, said Penn. "[The] other thing that was a problem was the handling - the car handling was appalling ... the core of playing was fundamentally broken." Ah, so it played more like GTA4 then?

However, one of these bugs ended up being a good thing. One day in testing, the game's police suddenly became uber-aggressive thanks to poor pathfinding - they would try to drive through the player. "That was an awesome moment because suddenly the real drama where, 'Oh my God, the police are psycho - they're trying to ram me off the road' ... that was awesome, so that stayed in."

Just think about it: If the first GTA had never been released, we would never have seen GTA3, one of the most influential games of the last ten years. Rockstar would never have risen to power. The Escapist's Game of the Year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/misc/8574-The-Escapists-Game-of-the-Year] might have been Mass Effect 2, StarCraft 2, or Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Crazy, innit?

Check out the full interview at Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6274/the_replay_interviews_gary_penn.php].

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
On the topic of great things that almost never existed The Joker was originally going to die at the end of the first comic he appeared in after he was stabbed. It was changed last minute so he would survive.

Erase The Joker from the Batman universe...

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
John Funk said:
Given that the core of GTA involved driving cars, you would hope that the game's vehicle mechanics would work well - but that was the other problem, said Penn. "[The] other thing that was a problem was the handling - the car handling was appalling ... the core of playing was fundamentally broken." Ah, so it played more like GTA4 then?
O SNAP!

Well, that would have been a rather stupid decision, no? 'course, we could have ended up with a totally different, yet equally fun series (excluding GTA4 from said fun series, of course, which is really rather awful). Funny how the police got their murderous tendencies though. The things you learn online...

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Ah, GTA 3.

I have such fond memories of all the ps2 games actually, they were so much fun.

Though Red Dead did improve a lot of telling a dramatic story, GTA 4 was in this awkward middle ground, it was kinda boring.

What I remember most about the original was farting in people's faces, setting fire to firemen, and having the tram I was commuting on crash headfirst into another tram travelling in the opposite direction.

I don't even...

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I played the first one so much, I don't even want to see it anymore. It appears Rockstar still has that link to download the second. I might have to do that.

Mookalakai

Jun 2, 2010
I feel like we get this story almost every week, describing a highly successful game that almost wasn't. It all reminds me of the story of Lil Brudder, the dog that almost didn't make it, but then he did.

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
I honestly loved how the cars worked in GTA IV.
It certainly fit with the realism they worked to build, despite Niko mowing through armies of gangsters, but I digress...

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Cousin_IT said:
GTA II still prob my favourite of the series for sheer mindless fun.
I agree, partially out of default. I really don't enjoy post GTA II games at all. In fact, they are some of my most hated games. However, GTA II was a shit ton of fun.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Ah, I remember some smart-ass sneaking that game onto our school computers, and playing that secretly during computer classes. It almost seems like the only way to play the original GTA.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
psrdirector said:
guess this shows that if you have enough bugs in a game even a great idea can go to crap.
See everything ever made by Spark Unlimited.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
John Funk said:
the car handling was appalling ... the core of playing was fundamentally broken." Ah, so it played more like GTA4 then?
Damn straight- Words can't describe how downright awful the car handling in IV is.

Just think about it: If the first GTA had never been released, we would never have seen GTA3, one of the most influential games of the last ten years.
Oh I dunno about that. It's quite likely we still would have got Body Harvest, and GTA3 sort of progressing out of that anyway.

Even if there was no GTA, I think I could have handled it. We would still have had Driver, and Driver 2 with walking included. Hell, without all the 'GTA clone' stigma maybe Driver 3 would have gone on to be the revolutionary game it might have been, had not True Crime or the Getaway got there first. Games were always heading in that direction. GTA just got there first.

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
I feel like we seem to get this kind of news (big series almost never made it!) a lot. Am I mistaken?
To be honest, I'd have probably just save money if the series wasn't alive. It's not really my thing.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Oh noez da gta 4 had different handling from the previous 3 games, how dare they make a change it must be te suxx.

At this point could we just get over the fact that it feels differently and realise that different doesn't make it bad.

OT: I wonder how long it would have taken for sandbox to be put in everything without gta 1.