Batman: Arkham City Five Times Bigger Than Asylum

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Batman: Arkham City Five Times Bigger Than Asylum

The chief developer of Arkham City says the new game is bigger and more Batman-ey than Arkham Asylum.

The reason that Arkham Asylum was our 2009 Game of the Year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/7270-The-Escapist-Awards-2009-Winners-Announcement] was because it blended brilliant game mechanics with the story and setting. Playing Asylum felt like you actually were Batman trapped in Arkham with The Joker pulling the strings. Due to the critical and commercial success, Rocksteady Games began work on a sequel that follows the recipe of first game but offers the player much more space to inhabit. In fact, Sefton Hill the game's director said that Arkham City provides a game area that is five times bigger, but that doesn't mean the sequel is truly an open world.

"The footprint of Arkham City is about five times bigger than Arkham Island, but our primary intention was never to create a bigger gameworld just for the sake of it," Sefton said.

"In Batman: Arkham Asylum, we really focused our effort on creating an intense, pressure-cooker atmosphere by locking Batman in the madhouse and allowing The Joker to turn up the heat. In Arkham City, we want to take that attitude to the next level, so we created an experience in which gamers will have a huge amount of navigational freedom, but they will also feel the extreme pressure of the challenges that they face."

The result is a game that gives many options but is more narratively driven. "I wouldn't describe the game as "sandbox" because a totally open and free-form gameworld would not allow us to create the kind of atmosphere that we wanted to, but we don't hold your hand either. Arkham City is its own place; a massive superprison, jam packed with supervillains, thugs, and psychopaths. There aren't any rules, but it has a law of its own, and this is why it is a perfect setting for Batman," he said.

In an interesting connection between the two games, savvy players of Arkham Asylum might have noticed the plans for Arkham City in the Warden's room. Hill said that the connection was intentional. "The plans in Warden Sharp's secret room are just one example of the way in which the two stories link together. Gamers who have played and completed Batman: Arkham Asylum will definitely see a lot of interesting hooks in Arkham City that connect to the events that happened in Arkham Asylum 18 months earlier."

All of this definitely has me excited to play in the third quarter of 2011. That is, if I can stop playing DCUO. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8612-Review-DC-Universe-Online]

Source: Gamespot UK [http://uk.gamespot.com/special_feature/most-anticipated-2011/day-1/index.html]

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
I hope they give us a better way to get around in Arkham City. Maybe not having to hold A to run plus the grapling hook and glide cape?

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Daemascus said:
I hope they give us a better way to get around in Arkham City. Maybe not having to hold A to run plus the grapling hook and glide cape?
Bat rocket boots man.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
A gameplay trailer is long overdue. I know it'll more or less play like the last one, and that the CGI trailer was quite cool but I find it really hard to stay excited with only screenshots to go on. I want to see it in action.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Looks like it is shaping up to be GOTY 2011 material, even if it basically copies the setting from Escape from New York.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
I'm excited for the game & I'm sure it'll be fun but just saying its "bigger" doesn't really explain much.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Stupid future, hogging all the games I really want to play. I am so psyched to finally get my hands on this game that it's not even funny - the wait had better be worth it.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Interesting...

I think I'll have to keep this one in mind. I kinda liked Arkham Asylum the first time I played in a month ago, so I wouldn't mind at least taking a look at a sequel. Even so... i've got alot of other games to go through before I even consider thinking about new ones. Damned Steam sales! XD

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
Hmm I was never to keen on arkham asylums "sandbox" It was just a chore to run about through, though the riddles where kinda cool.
The stealth system rocked and I'd love a few additions to it though,
finaly, batmobile. that is all.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
I can't wait for this game, it might be a first day buy from me which is extremely rare.

benbenthegamerman

May 10, 2009
Must... Resist... Squeeing... aw, fuck it, i cant help it.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

I lurved BM:AA, and i am preordering this baby once i am able to.

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
Everything about that article just screamed "Good News!" B:AA was easily one of the best games of the past few years and the fact that B:AC will be similar but bigger and therefore longer is fantastic.
I'm not a big fan of MMOs so I am not playing DCUO. This will help me get my DC fix.

Off topic: Now if only Marvel studios could make a good game, I would be in a very happy place. Exiles would make for a fantastic game. Imagine Spiderman - Shattered Dimensions, but good.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I loved Asylum, cannot wait to get my hands on this! Hopefully the bullshit combat challenges are gone though!

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Little off topic here, I know.
But after seeing 2 trailers, I can't help but wonder who the main villain will be.

The first one I saw had the Joker in it, looking like you would expect after the events of AA.
The second had Hugo Strange in the trailer, who did seem to get a bit more attention then...say.... Poison Ivy did in AA.