China Uses Top Gun Footage to Fake Military Strength

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
China Uses Top Gun Footage to Fake Military Strength

China fancies itself a maverick, but it might be just a goose.

China's state-run television media outlet CCTV recently came under fire for the misuse of a scene from Top Gun [http://www.amazon.com/Top-Gun-Blu-ray-Tom-Cruise/dp/B000RZGIQ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1296614137&sr=8-2] in a broadcast. The network was airing a segment about the country's fighter jets, and apparently thought it needed a little more excitement that only a Tom Cruise movie could provide.

The segment, covering the People's Liberation Army's Air Force, included footage of the J-10 fighter jet soaring through the clouds. In one spot, a J-10 fires off a missile, and CCTV then shows an exploding jet from Top Gun. Smartly, it doesn't leave in the next scene where Tom Cruise celebrates.

State-run Chinese media outlets have been criticized in the past for inappropriate use of intellectual property, and quite obviously it's just happened again. In this day and age, I think it'd be pretty tough to convince anyone that the explosion shown on CCTV was real. CCTV has reportedly removed all links to the Top Gun story, but hasn't admitted to any wrongdoing.

The whole situation is beyond silly. It'd be like if U.S. media did a story on the war in Iraq and spliced in footage from Rambo [http://www.amazon.com/Rambo-Complete-Collectors-Set-Blu-ray/dp/B003KV3E3G/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1296615558&sr=1-1]. At the same time, I'm a little impressed by the gusto of someone at CCTV.

Thanks for the tip Amarante228!

Source: Wall Street Journal [http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2011/01/28/video-cctv-tries-to-pass-off-%E2%80%98top-gun%E2%80%99-clip-as-military-drill/]

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Akalabeth said:
Is anyone surprised? Blowing up planes costs money.
I am, they could be put to death for questioning the Chinese Gov. That guy who stood up in to the tanks in Teniman Square, he could be dead, and it (EDIT: his refuge style life of solitude) could all be a fake. Its not too far stretched a thought.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I think it's kinda funny and sad, but mostly funny. If they had to steal some footage from a movie you would think they'd take it from some obscure movie and not TOP GUN.

Also, using footage from Rambo to make a story about the Iraq war would be awesome, at least then it wouldn't have lasted as long and not as confusing.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Top Gun's pretty awesome. I wish more people would use Top Gun footage instead of the regular old... actual news footage.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'm amazed that they even thought people would be convinced that you could actually get a camera shot at that angle and distance.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That's insane, I can't believe they'd try something like that. What the hell is wrong with them?

Oh well, way to spice it up guys.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Wow! China's military is fueled by the power of copyright infringement.

Next thing they'll make a stealth bomber that looks eerily like an F-22 [http://www.realestateradiousa.com/2011/01/05/china-leaks-pictures-of-new-stealth-bomber-on-internet-picture/]

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
Lame... They're now just military trolls trying to instill a little fear in us.
Or should I say... *puts on sunglasses*... Mili-trolls?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
What's that? China reproduced something that isn't theirs? I'm surprised.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Am I the only one who immediately thought of the giant statue/reality revision they pulled off about a month ago?

Ten bucks says they ban the footage and claim it never existed.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
HankMan said:
So our jobs aren't enough, You have to steal our movies as well?
"What happened to you China? You used to be cool."
Hey, China still cool. You pay later. Later!

I wonder if it was the overuse of tabacco graduated filters that gave the footage away, am I right? *crickets chirp*