WoW Customer Support Does Your Math Homework

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
WoW Customer Support Does Your Math Homework

Math is hard, but if there's anyone out there that can help it's a World of Warcraft GM.

Here's a scenario: You're stuck on a particularly tough Calculus problem. It's the last one you need to finish before you can put away the books and get cracking on completing the quests in Uldum or rough it up in Tol Barad. Your guild is calling for you, you already logged into the World of Warcraft and can just barely resist the temptation to start owning Horde with your new Worgen Warlock. "I just need to get this done. Can't anyone help me?" you scream to no one in particular, but that's when a crazy idea strikes you. The WoW GMs can solve any problem, they even gave me back all of my gear, items and gold when my account got hacked last month. Surely one of these exemplary geniuses can help! They can bend space and time to their will, to them the calculus is a mere tool.

So you send a quick ticket off to the in-game WoW customer support, crossing your fingers that you'll get a timely response. You're just about to give up hope when, lo and behold, you receive an answer back from beyond the veil:

"I can't believe that worked!" you say before snapping a screenshot and posting it to WoWbash.com with a caption reading, "Blizz does my math homework."

-

Now, I don't if that's what really happened or if the picture is even real, but it doesn't really matter. Even if it's not true, it's still a pretty good story.

Remember kids, if you're stuck with your homework, why not message your friendly neighborhood GM?

Source: WoWBash [http://www.wowbash.com/image-18123.html]

Mukil

Mar 23, 2010
I might buy WoW just to get my homework done!
This also reminds me of the austin pizza pic!
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lenw48hF8L1qzpwi0o1_500.gif

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
If that actually happened then that is hilarious.

If it is just a doctored screenshot then it is simply slightly amusing.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
If it is real: Funny story.

IF it isn't real: Expect an update later with an actual GM given an actual problem and give them a really stupid answer, even funnier story.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
I'd vouch for it being real, Blizzard GMs tend to be really cool like that.

I'd had to deal with them sometimes for random things and they've always been awesome.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Nimzar said:
If that actually happened then that is hilarious.

If it is just a doctored screenshot then it is simply slightly amusing.
Not G. Ivingname said:
If it is real: Funny story.

IF it isn't real: Expect an update later with an actual GM given an actual problem and give them a really stupid answer, even funnier story.
seconded.

if its real i want to know how bored the GM was at the time to actaully work it out.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
It's pretty amazing to think the Customer Support team for an MMO such as WoW would have access to the Internet and are trained in the use of Google... will wonders never cease?

Sarcasm aside, I found the exact same answer to that question on Yahoo! Answers [http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101214010253AAH1igW] by typing the question into Google, and I don't even understand the question (or the answer).

I don't understand why the person didn't just use Google himself, rather than wait for the WoW GM's to copy and paste his question into Google and get back to him with the copy and pasted answer.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
That reminds me of when I once helped a guildie with his math homework while we were waiting on a raid. That was more introductory algebra though, nothing like this.

Haha, yeah cool story. I'm sure there's a math major working for Blizzard somewhere and one could easily see Blizzard doing something like this. I'm sure one of the reasons for the WoWs success is the general helpfulness of the GMs. Even with some of the stranger requests that they couldn't help me with, I've always gotten courteous replies, where if they couldn't help me, they would explain why.

Unlike with WAR I would get dumbshit sidestepping like a first rate bureaucrat for even the most basic tickets. Now Champions Online had an interesting wiki-like system for reporting bugs and other issues where you could read other peoples reports and responses on a given issue and often learn of a workaround for a given bug that way.

Iznat

Feb 13, 2010
This is absolutely fantastic. Honestly, it made me so happy.

Well done Blizzard ^__^

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
Well now I know where to go If I am stuck on a particularly hard addition question.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Jamash said:
It's pretty amazing to think the Customer Support team for an MMO such as WoW would have access to the Internet and are trained in the use of Google... will wonders never cease?

Sarcasm aside, I found the exact same answer to that question on Yahoo! Answers [http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101214010253AAH1igW] by typing the question into Google, and I don't even understand the question (or the answer).

I don't understand why the person didn't just use Google himself, rather than wait for the WoW GM's to copy and paste his question into Google and get back to him with the copy and pasted answer.
If the story is to be believed, they were already logged into WoW. That would allow me to presume that the GM just Googled it.

Google plus retype=answer.

Father Tunde

Dec 8, 2010
kotorfan04 said:
This is just another way Blizz prevents you from having a real life.
Nope, just people not having enough restrained, and ultimately relying on a video game for too many things (which now even encompasses math homework). Blizzard is not in the wrong here.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
vxicepickxv said:
Jamash said:

If the story is to be believed, they were already logged into WoW. That would allow me to presume that the GM just Googled it.

Google plus retype=answer.
Next headline Blizzard GM got fired for academic dishonesty.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Getting a WoW subscription.

I'm not even going to play, just getting one because this is just fucking awesome.

Unholykrumpet

Nov 1, 2007
So, they actually do help some people...just not people that need help with game bugs.

Seriously, I've had three relatively simple bugs in cataclysm...and each time I submit a ticket, they promptly say "we're aware of the problem, been working on it...watch forums for updates". And by prompt, I mean at least 24 hours later. And who the hell honestly wants to go into the WoW forums...those things are just wrong.

Lloyd O Siadhail

Apr 2, 2010
This is fake, due to the spelling errors within the gm's reply at the end of his message back to the customer. Blizzard doesn't employ people that spell wrong :p