Capcom Continues Online DRM Scheme for Offline PSN Titles

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Capcom Continues Online DRM Scheme for Offline PSN Titles

If your PlayStation 3 isn't connected to the internet and you want to play Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, tough noogies.

When Capcom revived DRM scheme [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fight-Super-Nintendo/dp/B000B9TUWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296742779&sr=8-1] that required players to be connected to the internet even when playing offline. Despite the ire raised by the scheme, Capcom is still using it in the recent release of Bionic Commando Rearmed 2.

The big difference is that Rearmed 2 doesn't have any online modes, so players have little reason to connect their PS3s to the internet other than to verify their game is legitimate. Players can log out of the PSN to resume playing offline, but there doesn't appear to be any way around the check. On a positive note, Capcom at least warns customers of the requirement this time.

One reason Capcom and other companies have implemented this security method is due to PS3 owners sharing their PSN titles. Apparently an online check stops PSN sharing, but I don't engage in the practice so I can't verify this for sure.

I totally understand why Capcom feels the need to protect itself from every form of piracy it can, but it should also realize that these types of DRM schemes turn off legitimate customers. Yes, many PS3 owners have their systems connected to the internet 24/7, especially if they're users of the PSN and download games. However, using the PSN does not guarantee that a player will always have an internet connection available, and that's the issue.

At the core, there's just something that feels very wrong about requiring an internet connection to play a game offline. Capcom's situation isn't Ubisoft bad [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106655-Ubisoft-Says-Its-Not-Giving-Up-on-Always-On-DRM], which requires a stable connection throughout the entirety of gameplay, but it's still going to be a fly in certain players' ears. There must be a better way.

Source: SixAxis [http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/02/02/capcoms-psn-drm-gets-rearmed/]

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Well that sounds like a pain. I don't have any interest in the game, but considering my net keeps cutting out and I don't currently have my PS3 set up to use the net, I don't think I'll be gaining interest any time soon.

This is a smudge on Capcom's reputation to me though, despite not affecting me personally.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Yup, here's a title I won't be buying. I only connect my PS3 to the internet when I see a title I wanna pick up on PSN, not a fan of running all the updates all the time so I just keep myself logged out the majority. DRM on a console? Yeah, I'm tired enough of dealing with it on my PC.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Thank you, pirates. Thanks a bunch.
You will of course hack this game, by pass the security and play it offline on your microwave.
While the honest buyer has to put up with this shit again.

I don't agree with Capcom on this, at all. But I find it hard to blame them solely for this terrible idea.

Unspeakable

Apr 10, 2009
Good. DRM is an important facet of gaming. Without it, people could just play the game whenever they want.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Whats the big deal? You need the internet to get the game anyways. It always amazes me how much people complain over things like this.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
You'll have to forgive me for this, (points finger, sticks tongue out) ahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (retracts tongue)

Firmware updates
Compatability issues
Game updates
CD Keys
Second hand 'unlocking' fees
Always on DRM

Games consoles have officially become PCs.
Which begs a very serious question, in the cyclical swing of publisers favouring PC/console releases, currently swung over towards the consoles, how long before the swing goes back the other way.

Or more to the point, how long before the lines between pure PC, media centre and games console vanish altogether, they're getting pretty blurry now. It also begs the question of what the 'next generation' will be if even console are resorting to the same counter productive levels of DRM as the PC crowd.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Meh, doesn't bother me. My PS3's connected to the internet 24/7, and you do need to be online to actually get the game in the first place, so I don't really understand much of the bitching.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Unspeakable said:
Good. DRM is an important facet of gaming. Without it, people could just play the game whenever they want.
The sarcasm is strong in this one. :p

Anyway, console gamers, welcome to the world that PC gamers are constantly forced to experience. I suggest you buckle yourself in and hang tight....it is only going to get worse from here on out.

Femaref

May 4, 2008
Daemascus said:
Whats the big deal? You need the internet to get the game anyways. It always amazes me how much people complain over things like this.
Not all people have their consoles connected to the net 24/7.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I feel like I'm copypasting

I will never buy a game that

1. requires phone home just to install
2. limits my install in any way, unlimited install on unlimited machines only
3. isn't an mmo but requires a phone home to play, or requires any kind of online connection to play purely single player
4. is a non-mmo but has a multiplayer capability, but doesn't have the capability to host servers if I so choose or play on a lan (I'm looking at you starcraft 2)

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
Doesn't affect me much, since I'm not interested in the game itself, and my ps3 is always connected.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
buy teh haloz said:
Meh, doesn't bother me. My PS3's connected to the internet 24/7, and you do need to be online to actually get the game in the first place, so I don't really understand much of the bitching.
I can see one problem with this, one way that people could complain about it.

Since I don't have a PS3, I will use my 360 as an example:

At least once a week, I drive out to a friend's house for a game night with said friend and another friend. We all have 360s and we play separate games as well as play some custom Halo maps against each other. This friend, doesn't have a good enough internet connection to have 360s hooked to it.

Let's say that Capcom does this DRM with a game on the 360. If I wanted to show the game to my friends or let them play it on my 360, then they wouldn't be able too since we can't connect to the internet to verify.

My example is a very narrow one, not everybody has game nights way out in the country, but it is a point.

---------------------------------

While this DRM is a little annoying, I would be fine with it since it is another way to stop the nasty pirates.

There would be a lot less of this DRM, if people would do the right thing and stand behind the game companies in the the fight against pirating, as well as understand that gaming is a privilege and a want, not a need. If you can't afford a game you "want" to play, too bad, that is life. If you want to see what a game is like before you buy it, rent it, or play a demo, watch videos of people playing or reviewing it.

I wholeheartedly believe that half problem comes from people that believe that they deserve to play a game and not have to pay the price for it. The other half are people that think that pirating to snub the companies because they make DRM and that it will make them stop making DRM(which of course won't happen because the DRM comes about because of the thing they are doing to snub them).

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
Daemascus said:
Femaref said:
Daemascus said:
Not all people have their consoles connected to the net 24/7.
Why not?
Good question but easily answered. I like to take my console to some countries at times or places without internet and still would like to play my legally purchased "Licenses".
I guess but most people leave their consle in one place at home.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Veloxe said:
Release the hounds!
quite on cue this comment made my day!!

anyway.... i would whine and cry about this, if it werent for the fact that PS cant do "Shit" to prevent hackers or pirates from copying the game and selling it

its an intrusive DRM, but i feel a necesary one, when every single mayor problem on the PS3 is fixed, i would call for a "removal" of that DRM, but for now i can understand Capcom nto wanting to lose its game.