DICE Officially Cancels BF1943 and Bad Company 2 Onslaught for PC

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
DICE Officially Cancels BF1943 and Bad Company 2 Onslaught for PC

The Battlefield developer says that it has decided to focus on the games of the future, rather than those of the past.

DICE has officially announced that the PC version of the downloadable game Battlefield 1943 and the Onslaught multiplayer mode for Battlefield: Bad Company 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-Bad-Company-2-Pc/dp/B002NIP2SM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1296761220&sr=8-3] have been cancelled. This ends a prolonged wait for BF1943 on the PC, which had lasted for a year and a half.

In a statement in the official Battlefield website [http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/02/03/looking-ahead.aspx], DICE's general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson said that the studio was as dedicated to supporting its existing games as it was to making new ones. Sadly, he said, it wasn't always possible to do both, and sometimes, the studio had to chose what its priorities were. He said that the studio had decided to focus its efforts on making Battlefield 3 as good as possible, and that meant cancelling BF1943 and BC2 Onslaught for the PC.

It's safe to assume that most PC players had worked out that they wouldn't be playing BF1943 or BC2 Onslaught unless they also had a console. All the same, it's nice to have it made official, even if just for closure. Hopefully, the PC version of Battlefield 3 - whenever it comes out - will make up for the platform missing out on other Battlefield content.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/287066/news/pc-battlefield-1943-bad-company-2-onslaught-cancelled/?attr=CVG-News-RSS]

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Okay, first of all, fuck them for making me wait this long to realize i'll never get to play 1943. I had pretty much figured this was the case ages ago, but wtf? Why not focus on development for all 3 platforms at once, rather than leave us hanging like this? Absurd. Second, my faith in BF3 continues to diminish the more games they pump out. I really don't think it'll be what anyone expects, at least not us PC gamers..... DICE, prove me wrong please. But don't expect me to hold my breath.

Cyrax987

Aug 3, 2009
Battlefield 3 better be a great game that plays like a PC game. Seriously Battlefield started out on the PCs and made that series what it is today. If you look at the first console incarnations of the Battlefield series they sucked.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
Oh well, not really that big a surprise, if I have to be completely honest. Delaying it that much without reasons as to why is never a good sign. A port shouldn't really take that long.

Anyway, for me, the Battlefield series is dead, and has been that way since BF: Vietnam came out. Vietnam was fun for me, but the entry I enjoyed the most was BF1942. It was just a fantastic multiplayer experience and really the game that got me interesting in multiplayer as a whole, so I have a lot to thank that game for. It's a little sad though, I doubt that magic that BF1942 had will ever be captured again, at least if you're listening to DICE. Even BF1943 is nowhere near as good as BF1942 was, even though it was made by the same company.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Just do a good job on the third Battlefield, especially for the PC gamers. They do deserve it, y'know, considering how many Battlefield-fans are PC gamers.

My PC won't be able to run it unfortunately, but I really want the PC version to be good.

Well, and the console versions, too.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Well, that aint no surprise. Still a goddamn punch in the kidney. Asshats.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
About time they announce what should have been clear to most fans for the past half-year or so.

Do a good job on Battlefield 3, I'm counting on you.

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
hey PC guys if you want Battlefield 1943 play 1942 in one section of the map with the graphical settings all the way up. Seriously it's not that great.

OT: Battlefield 3 better play like the PC games on every platform it's on, mostly because I know that it will run like crap on my computer and I just want to shoot people without lag. I mean I want 6 man squads, 32 on 32 battles, a chain of command and large maps. None of this 4 man squad 12 on 12 crap

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Nice to see they still give a shit about PC players, huh.

translation: "A PC version wouldn't have given us huge sums of money, so we abandonned it."

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
This is excellent news! I say that they should focus on sequels to Battlefield 2142 as that was and still is an awesome game.

radarbsm

Aug 30, 2009
Well good thing they canceled the bf1943, cause I had more fun with the Battlefield 1942 demo then I did with 1943.
I wish they would of kept developing the onslaught mode for Battlefield Bad Company 2, cause I had fun with that.
As long as they make battlefield 3 like they did with 1942, Battlefield 2, and Battlefield 2142 with everything updated I will be happy.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Well, that's a dick move.

Not going to say as much as "So much for PC focus" but, I will say, "One step forward, two steps back."

Romidude

Aug 3, 2010
Why is the PC version always cancelled? Why can't they cancel a version that is nightmarish to develop for, such as PS3.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
I actually liked 1943. It's sad they wont release it on the PC would probably have been even better.